What have you learned since joining MFP?

Options
Fitness/Nutrition based answers please. Saying "I have learned people are rude and blah blah blah" will only cause this thread to be hijacked and eventually closed.

I've learned that sweet cravings more or less stop if you stop eating that stuff for awhile.
I've learned they can come back and kick you right in the teeth.
I've learned that despite thinking I'd never be able to run a mile...having mental ambition has made it possible for me to run more than 2 miles at a time.
I've learned that motivation will not be there every single day and the only way to be successful is to continue making good choices even if you don't want to.

Now...who else?

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have learned...
    I am not the only one that falls off and has to make it a new day
    Interesting foods and recipes
    How to make exercise fun
    There is no excuse but the one we make for ourselves
    Weight loss is not a race but a journey everyone has of their own
    Very supportive people here!!!:bigsmile:
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I have learned so much about calories/fuel, and exercise. i am learning how to "budget" my calories, and that it's a GOOD thing to eat after exercise and it is so nice that the calculator guides me and tells me how much. incredible.

I have been messed up with food for most of my adult life and this site has completely liberated me. I am so excited for this new adventure.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I'm learning so much, and love MFP. It's just so great to be able to look at my calories and exercise and nutrition each day. I really do plan out my meals to stay within my chosen parameters. I've learned that I really can go to the movies and not eat a big bag of popcorn with butter by myself! I've learned how much fat/calories/salt are in items I've always used liberally - like butter, mayo, olive oil. Good Lord! That was an eye opener. I've learned how wonderful it feels to walk a little faster and farther each day.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    That I can eat 2000+ calories per day and lose weight.
    No more diets.
    No more struggling.
    No more deprivation.

Golden.
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are not accountable to yourself .......This is nothing more than a chat room
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    That the sodium content of most food is sky high.
    That some foods contain many more calories than I imagined.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I learned that it's a lot easier if you don't make it difficult.

Setting my goals to 1 pound a week and then a half pound a week to lose one pound a week and a half pound a week is a lot more satisfying than setting it to two pounds a week and feeling miserable, hungry and frustrated when I couldn't lose that much.

And that building muscle makes me look smaller.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    ~That I as happier when I didn't own a food scale, body scale, or any type of body measuring tool.
    ~I was more energized before I met Chalene Johnson and her annoying blonde hair.
    ~That I am NOT a positive person, all this rainbows and sunshine is for the birds...so to speak
    ~That everything I like eating has about 10000000000mg of sodium in it per serving
    ~10000000000mg of sodium may or may not cause you to gain 4lbs of water weight
    ~The only way to get rid of 4lbs of water is to drink 8lbs of water daily for a week
    ~The term "bro-science"
    ~Every male has a picture taking in front of a bathroom mirror, half nude, with no head
    ~That you can use cottage cheese to make fake cookies and try to pass them off as real once, only hoping they won't get thrown back in your face.
    ~That I will never be able to eat a whole log of chocolate chip cookie dough raw and expect to look like Vanessa Hudgens in Sucker Punch.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well, supposedly that you need to eat a lot more calories than you probably think (although, I'm wondering if this only works if you are a heavy exerciser). And that my reactions to food are totally different than a lot of people.
  • elmurillo1
    elmurillo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've learned so many things about myself. I joined MFP on March 20th and I've been more aware of what I eat. I learned that I eat when I am bored and don't exercise enough.

I've been logging everything and have already lost some weight. I am so excited....I think I might be able to do it this time!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I feel more satisfied when I eat more protein and less of other foods.
    I have learned that I really like to exercise and that exercising has become a part of who I am and what I like to do.
    I have learned that the simpler I eat the better off.
    I have learned that I love berries and yogurt and peanut butter and spice. Not necessary all together.
    I have learned that I depend on MFP and for the first time in my life I have a tool that I use to accurately keep track of what I eat.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have learned a lot.......
    The foods I use to eat all the time are high in salt!
    ..... how to "budget" my calories
    ..... to enjoy excersie
    ... to stay positive! Tomorrow is another day and another chance! :wink:
    that my friends here on MFP have great knowledge and are very supportive!

Thanks!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I am more powerful than my addictions.....today
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I learned that losing weight is way easier when you don't diet or starve yourself. Until I found MFP, I never believed I could lose weight eating 1800-2300 calories a day.
  • VegGoddess
    VegGoddess Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i've learned that you don't have to starve to lose weight, you can actually eat over 1000 and be okay!
    i've learned that your bmr is good for something!!
    i've learned that you MUST exercise to lose substantial weight
    i've learned you don't have to go through it all alone
    i've learned how to keep track of my protein and iron levels and how to keep them up! (vegan)
    i've learned alot about vitamins
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've learned

weights are nothing to be afraid of
    exercise isn't that hard
    exercise can (and should be) enjoyable
    eating well isn't that hard
    keeping motivation is easy once you figure out that a day or two of eating poorly makes you not only feel like crap, but you look like crap and weigh more too.

After I finished 6 months of this site, I dropped from size 14 pants to size 4, wore small shirts instead of medium / large, and was able to jog 5k in 45 mins (that is very good time for me)
    My boyfriend was happy with my progress, and asked how I felt about all the hard work I had done.
    "Hard work?" I said "I was surprised how easy the whole thing was, why doesn't everyone overweight do this? It is so simple."

and it is still simple, a year later. I have about 15 more lbs to lose and they are going slowly, but I know what to do thanks to this site and the smart folks I have met who have learned with me and pointed me in the right direction.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Fitness/Nutrition based answers please. Saying "I have learned people are rude and blah blah blah" will only cause this thread to be hijacked and eventually closed.

I've learned that sweet cravings more or less stop if you stop eating that stuff for awhile.
    I've learned they can come back and kick you right in the teeth.
    I've learned that despite thinking I'd never be able to run a mile...having mental ambition has made it possible for me to run more than 2 miles at a time.
    I've learned that motivation will not be there every single day and the only way to be successful is to continue making good choices even if you don't want to.

Now...who else?

so true! love this - i can actually skip over the candy isle most of the time and water is my friend... will still stumble but 9 times out of 10 victory is mine!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That it's okay to eat.
    That nutrition is wonderful.
    That exercise should make you feel better, not worse.
    That friends are really nice to have.
    That anything is possible.

To be honest, MFP is what keeps me from falling back into an eating disorder. You guys are all awesome.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    ~That I as happier when I didn't own a food scale, body scale, or any type of body measuring tool.
    ~I was more energized before I met Chalene Johnson and her annoying blonde hair.
    ~That I am NOT a positive person, all this rainbows and sunshine is for the birds...so to speak
    ~That everything I like eating has about 10000000000mg of sodium in it per serving
    ~10000000000mg of sodium may or may not cause you to gain 4lbs of water weight
    ~The only way to get rid of 4lbs of water is to drink 8lbs of water daily for a week
    ~The term "bro-science"
    ~Every male has a picture taking in front of a bathroom mirror, half nude, with no head
    ~That you can use cottage cheese to make fake cookies and try to pass them off as real once, only hoping they won't get thrown back in your face.
    ~That I will never be able to eat a whole log of chocolate chip cookie dough raw and expect to look like Vanessa Hudgens in Sucker Punch.

Best post EVER! Gave me a great laugh this evening.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    Lift weights.
    Love myself.