High Protein Suggestion Wanted

Options
pgp90xer
pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
Hi all,

I am on a high protein diet but find I am eating the same things more and more. Any suggestions for high protein but with low carbs?

Thanks

Replies

• sportyskylar
    Options
    iso whey protein powder :) easy
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You need to say what you are eating so we can offer different options? Like Greek yogurt?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I definately grab for greek yogurt and protein bars that are low in sugar. Both have carbs in them, but you need to eat carbs as well unless you are doing a ketosis thing.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Meat
    Poultry
    Fish
    Powder
  • pgp90xer
    Options
    I am eating lots of chicken and tuna and have whey protein shakes 2 -3 times a day. I was even eating lots of almonds but recently discovered that pumpkin seeds have even more protein. I use to eat lots of pasta and rice but they are too high in carbs. Any and all ideas welcome... except tofu... sorry but not my thing. LOL
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You need to say what you are eating so we can offer different options? Like Greek yogurt?

Maybe I got the wrong kind, but Greek yogurt doesn't seem to have *that* much protein. I eat lots of chicken, tuna, eggs, and beef. Also, finding a good protein powder can really help. I found one that gives 26 grams of protein / scoop of powder
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition protein shakes - 160 cals/30 protein/3 carb and taste awesome.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Tuna, chicken, turkey, beef, eggs, and dairy are all pretty good on protein.
  • pgp90xer
    Options
    I just thought the same thing and re posted... thanks
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Things I use are: egg whites, quinoa, cottage cheese, chicken sausage, almonds and fish. Good luck!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    everything said above is awesome. i also like to find recipes to make stuff with.. ie homemade protein bars.. it just gives some more variety once in a while.
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with pmkelly, don't know what you're "having the same" of. I can give you my list of protein sources, hope it helps.

Edamame
    Eggs
    Greek Yogurt
    Milk (2% or skim)
    Nuts (pistachios, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts)
    Ahi Tuna
    Canned Tuna (in water, mixed with some kind of relish, no mayo)
    Whey Powder
    Chicken (so many recipes with this, sometimes I'll have it 5 nights in a row, just prepared differently)
    Steak (lean cuts)
    Jerky
    Hummus (usually in place of mayo)
    Beans (navy, pinto)
    I like to cook, so I'm always changing up when it comes to the meats. Some recipes end up with alot of sodium, so keep an eye on that. Also, plain Greek yogurt is very versatile. I use it in place of sour cream for a great ranch dip (Hidden Valley mix) and French onion (Lipton mix). Last time I made cole slaw I subbed Greek yogurt for the mayo and nobody noticed.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    - Lean meats (fish, chicken, LEAN beef, pork, turkey- you can get them in different forms. Example- turkey sausage crumbles, turkey bacon, steaks, burgers, grilled, baked, etc)

- Greek Yogurt (I recommend Fage 0% plain, you can add fruit and/or honey)

- Protein Bars (I recommend Pure Protein bars from Wal-Mart, they have 20g protein with low fat and sugar)

- Nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc)

- Eggs (plain old eggs or egg whites)

- Frozen Yogurt (I recommend Blue Bell Strawberry, YUM)

- Cheese (low fat, 2%, or reduced)

- Milk (0%)

- Beans (black, navy, pinto, etc)

- Seeds

Getting enough protein is important. Just be careful. Always consult your doctor. Carbs are not bad. It's the kind of carbs you eat. You still need carbs to fuel your workouts and everyday living. Too much protein can lead to kidney and "going to the bathroom" issues. Good luck!
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butter, seeds, tofu, edamame, beans, bean flour, eggs, cheese, yogurt, meat. I think that covers all the main natural and unprocessed sources.

You might want to stay away from protein bars and protein shakes if you are watching your sugar. It's better to stick to unprocessed sources anyway. You can always make your own protein shakes a lot cheaper anyway, using any combination of bean flour like chickpea flour mixed with yogurt, tofu, milk and a little fruit puree.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Greek yogurts like Fage and Chobani have 23-24g protein per 8oz and 130-140 cals, mix in some isolate and a little fruit, nuts, stevia, almond milk, etc and you've got a ~50g protein fluff with ~350 cals depending on what you add.
  • astepqueen
    astepqueen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Actually if you get the plain non-fat king it packs 24 g protein for an 8 oz serving...the flavored with fruit ones only average about 13g... Hope that keeps you to chose the right kind.

Maybe I got the wrong kind, but Greek yogurt doesn't seem to have *that* much protein. I eat lots of chicken, tuna, eggs, and beef. Also, finding a good protein powder can really help. I found one that gives 26 grams of protein / scoop of powder
  • pgp90xer
    Options
    For sure a great idea. I have already been doing that and trying to improve the recipe each time!
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a fb nutrition page also, www.facebook.com/hiitthechallenge I also just wrote a blog on protein today:
    http://hiitthechallengewithjennifer.blogspot.com/2012/03/find-out-if-your-body-is-using-protein.html
    We are supposed to get 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight we are. I get mine mostly from Almonds, PB2 Peanut butter, egg whites, chicken and my protein shakes which the protein I use has over 300 recipes for flavoring and I also make my own high protein, low cal, protein bars and have numerous flavors. I have a recipe for them also over at my blog and fan page, and I will be posting more recipes. There is also a video about my weightloss journey there as well.
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention not all protein we consume is usable, but that is explained in my blog. :)
  • Perpalicious
    Options
    Wow, great suggestions, guys! I think another one for the list is pure Dextrose.