(Lean) P90Xers: Advice Wanted!

Options
Hey everyone, I just completed my first week of the P90X Lean schedule, and there are a few things I've come across while following the routine. With these realizations, I'm wondering if anyone has every tried modifying the routine to fit their personal needs or if anyone has done the program in general and has any suggestions for me. Anything you guys have would be great!

The first thing I noticed is that it seems like the P90X program is pretty heavy on the push-ups, which I must say I'm horrible at. I realize I will get better with time, but I'm a little worried I'm going to develop huge guns, and because I've broken my right wrist in the past, it tends to be very painful for me to put any weight on it after I do a lot of push-ups and/or the chatarungas (sp?) in the yoga routine.
I also realized that while I do enjoy the routines, especially the cardio video, I still feel like I need more cardio. I don't want to overdo it, but I think running an extra 20 minutes after a workout (instead of repeating the cardio video) is something I want to incorporate because frankly I miss running; it slims my legs and stomach quickly and makes me feel like I'm doing more for my heart, so I just want to add in a bit.
The last thing I would like advice on is leg/glute work. I do feel a lot of burn in my glutes in many of the workouts, but like cardio I feel like I need more. If anyone has any extra exercises they feel really target the glutes that aren't included in the routines I would really like to know about them!

Keep in mind I'm a college student, so I'm pretty active throughout my day between going to classes across campus and working. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for me so that I'm getting the best out of this program without overdoing it, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Insanity/P90x hybrid program right now (I was looking for more cardio too) but wanted to give you a tip that has helped me with the P90x portion.

I have a bad right wrist and use push up stands to avoid making it worse. They change the way the weight is put on the wrist so it doesn't cause any pain (for me at least). Using them has made a huge difference in my workouts. Also, if you dont want to spend the money right now, I did use my weights as push up stands and just wrapped my wrist until I found ones I liked.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7, day 6 of p90x classic and I too feel like I could use some extra cardio. I've hopped on the treadmill after a strength routine before and felt awesome. If you think you need it, then do it! But, like you said, try not to overdo it either. Maybe just do 1-3 miles after the strength routines and leave the cardio days as is.
    Friend me if you like!
    Good luck!
  • MrsAmySchoener
    Options
    Hey everyone, I just completed my first week of the P90X Lean schedule, and there are a few things I've come across while following the routine. With these realizations, I'm wondering if anyone has every tried modifying the routine to fit their personal needs or if anyone has done the program in general and has any suggestions for me. Anything you guys have would be great!

The first thing I noticed is that it seems like the P90X program is pretty heavy on the push-ups, which I must say I'm horrible at. I realize I will get better with time, but I'm a little worried I'm going to develop huge guns, and because I've broken my right wrist in the past, it tends to be very painful for me to put any weight on it after I do a lot of push-ups and/or the chatarungas (sp?) in the yoga routine.
    I also realized that while I do enjoy the routines, especially the cardio video, I still feel like I need more cardio. I don't want to overdo it, but I think running an extra 20 minutes after a workout (instead of repeating the cardio video) is something I want to incorporate because frankly I miss running; it slims my legs and stomach quickly and makes me feel like I'm doing more for my heart, so I just want to add in a bit.
    The last thing I would like advice on is leg/glute work. I do feel a lot of burn in my glutes in many of the workouts, but like cardio I feel like I need more. If anyone has any extra exercises they feel really target the glutes that aren't included in the routines I would really like to know about them!

Keep in mind I'm a college student, so I'm pretty active throughout my day between going to classes across campus and working. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for me so that I'm getting the best out of this program without overdoing it, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Im in week 6 of P90X classic, and I DO NOT have big guns, my arms are starting to take shape and I love it. With the videos they tell you to use lighter weights and do more reps for toning. For your push ups try push up bars, I use them for my wrists.

For your glutes, the Back and leg workout kicks my buns :) that is an awesome one to do... In the Lean do you do Plyometrics?? If not, DO IT! THat will be a huge cardio boost for you. Also, on the main DVD that introduces everything has 2 extra cardio workouts on it (at least mine did) and it was intense compaired to Cardio X.

One thing to remember.... Eat back your calories :) I sometimes forget....

Good luck and ADD me if you like!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    To all women, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU ARE GOING TO GET BIG GUNS. YOUR BODIES DO NOT PRODUCE TESTOSTERONE. EVEN MEN JUICE UP TO GET BIG GUNS. Plus, the work you have to put in to get big guns, I'm pretty sure there are not too many women alive that will do that.

I wish this myth would die!

What will happen is you will look fit and awesome.

I hope this helps.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I WANT to try P90x, have not yet, and the pushups kind of worried me too. I cannot do them right now, but I want to. I had wrist surgery a few years back and have a metal plate in my right wrist. The only pushups I do right now are against the handicap bar in the bathroom stall at work. :P

I notice it does help to not have my palm flat on the floor, but instead grip something and do the push-ups... Palm flat on the floor leads to a lot of pressure and discomfort, even though my wrist healed up way better than I ever thought it would.

About "getting big guns" .... lol, I would say 'worry about that when the time comes' because it's not gonna happen. You'll get really defined arms of you work hard at them, get rid of that flag underneath your arm that waves when you wave, but as for putting on piles of muscle, it's very unlikely... even guys have a hard time with putting on muscle.
  • mtweddell
    Options
    If a certain exercise hurts because of an injury MODIFY it. use push up bars, or do what you need to do, to be comfortable, not complacent. I cannot do the Plyometrics, my left knee is completely shot, bone on bone, and jumping is just not going to happen, so i switch up my routine on those days and add an extra cardio, ride my recumbant do the x stretch or a combination of the three.
  • KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all your advice and tips! I've been adding just 20 minutes of medium intensity cardio to the days I don't feel I'm getting enough, and I feel so much better. I'll either run straight through or do intervals, and I've noticed that in addition to all the strength training P90X has, I feel a lot leaner. I think I'm going to get a wrist brace and see if it helps with the upper body work.

Good luck to everyone else that's doing the program!