Excuses, Excuses (Every Excuse Must Go)

Options
This was a blog post, but it's my funny ha-ha and funny-strange blogs that get read, not the serious posts, usually. So I'm putting it here as a post instead. It's a message I've wanted to share, in hopes that it benefits someone.

I'm betting that we humans are the only ones on the planet with excuses, as far as I know. I'm just going to take it for granted that animals aren't generally full of excuses for why they won't do what they feel they need to do. (I'm not 100% certain about the groundhog. Is a shadow a good reason to go back to sleep?)

We have valid reasons why we can't do certain things. Unfortunately, we think of excuses and we think they're valid reasons. We've got to ask ourselves which one it is: a good, valid reason, or a cheap, flimsy excuse. Sometimes it takes asking someone else to know which one it is.

Think about the things you say that get in the way of achieving your goals. Think about why you think you've yo-yo'ed or why you're putting off certain practices until tomorrow. If you're really not sure whether or not these are just excuses, get someone else's perspective. Someone you trust, who knows you, who understands the reality of where you are in life.

This lesson has been gained by an event that has been hitting me rather hard this past year: daily pain that makes even 3 minutes of walking a torture, which started about 9 months ago.

I used excuses in the past to put off my dream of getting healthier. Excuses like: I can eat the way I do because I work out a lot. Next summer, I'll put extra time into this. I'll learn to run, and that'll be enough, I don't need to think that much about calories. I'm tired, I work hard all day and I just want to chill. Driving to the gym is 40 minutes there and back.

I'd love it if I didn't have to endure what I'm enduring now, because I'd LOVE to be able to work out the way I did before AND eat the way I do now, which is better than I ever have. I can't put anything off until tomorrow, because I have to get the weight off, even if it's slow. I can't run, but if I could, I know that running alone isn't enough, because what I eat has to be fuel that benefits me in numerous ways. It's not enough that I can burn it off. I do need to think about calories, because it's times like this, when I can't exercise the way I used to, that it matters the most. Driving to the gym and back is nothing, when working out would be a joy.

I have to get kindling for my hope, to try and start a little fire. I have to encourage myself with words that remind me there is a possibility that I will be able to get the treatment for my leg that I need.

You better believe this: When I can walk again without pain, I'm going to treasure those steps. In the meantime, I'm not going to let it be an excuse to give up.

I'll keep fighting, eating as wisely as I can, dropping weight through my food choices. If you have the ability to go for a walk, ride a bike, or do the simple things I took for granted at one time, treasure it. Every step, every push of the pedal, every sprint is a GIFT.

Want to vote on this post on the blog? Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheGoblinRoad/view/excusing-your-dreams-away-233967

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    bump if you think this is something that others should read.
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    "We have valid reasons why we can't do certain things. Unfortunately, we think of excuses and we think they're valid reasons. We've got to ask ourselves which one it is: a good, valid reason, or a cheap, flimsy excuse. Sometimes it takes asking someone else to know which one it is. "

Really beautiful article, well said. No more excuses!
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    bump
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options

Really beautiful article, well said. No more excuses!

thanks. :)
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Very Nice!
    A bit less tactful but I always like the saying, Excuses are like *kitten*. Everyones got one and they usually stink!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    Very Nice!
    A bit less tactful but I always like the saying, Excuses are like *kitten*. Everyones got one and they usually stink!

Ha! Somehow, I think that might rub people the wrong way. ;)
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    too many words to read.

thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    too many words to read.

thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I like honesty. :)
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump if you think this is something that others should read.

Bump! beautiful!