I am so depressed

Options
I can't seem to lose weight. I am active, power walk, watch what I eat and just can't seem to lose weight! I'm very depressed, it's affecting my life. I watch what I eat like a hawk, I try be very active aside from working out and nothing. I don't know what else to do. I hardly ever have BMs (sorry for the excess of information) and I feel like I'm going to be this large forever. I'm crying as I type this, I just want to lose these 30 lbs! I'm so frustrated and depressed.
I would appreciate any advice you have. Thank you.

Replies

• FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    First - DON'T give up.
    Second - record every bite you put in your mouth.
    Third - record exercises daily.
    Fourth - log on here every day for a pep talk!
    Fifth - DON'T GIVE UP........
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I see you're just starting MFP so don't quit yet. Sometimes in all the watching we aren't eating enough. Have you figured out how many calories to eat in a day? Adding in your exercise and eating at least part of those calories.

There are some great success stories here. But with each of them they took time to lose the weight they wanted to lose. So again don't give up.

Try to enjoy the journey and the learning to eat and live healthier. Think of it as a lifestyle not just a diet to lose the weight you want to lose. That way not only will you lose the weight but you'll be able to maintain it after.
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? If your body is in the normal range on the scales, then it is harder to lose weight.

Funny thing is, you may not be eating enough. I know it sounds crazy but think about it. If you put a 1/2 tank of gas in your car can you expect to drive 1000 miles? No. Neither can you run your body on too few calories.

Eat for a few days the way you always do, but weigh everything. When you log I will bet you that the numbers are well under 1200-1500 calories you should have as MINIMUM a day.

Check it out, and dont worry. We are here for you!!

:heart: Jeannie
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    from your screen name I asume that you have children? Have you ever had your thyroid checked? A low (hypothyroid) condition will make you have any number of symptoms wich can include inability to loose weight, and constipation.

It's an easy test and if it is low your doc will give you a pill to take once a day and you'll be fine.

It could however be something else. If you are working out regularly then this site could help. Maybe you just don't realize what you've had to eat? Every little bit adds up quickly as I found out when I joined this site!
    I hope this helps :flowerforyou:

180588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hey, don't be so down on yourself. You CAN do it! :flowerforyou:

I would start by trying to increase your fiber intake and the amount of water you drink. This will probably help with the BM issue. Just make sure you do the fiber slowly, and try to stay away from the "fiber enriched" products out there... I know they give me horrible stomach aches. Add a couple of servings of fruits and vegetables to your meal plan. Beans are good too, as well as whole wheat grain products like bread and pasta. Kashi cereals are great as well.

You might lose a couple of pounds just from doing that. It will take about two weeks to get your system running smoothly again.

Just whatever you do, don't give up!
    Diana
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doc, just a goofy junior high music teacher, but when was the last time you had your thyroid checked? My friend had similar complaints, and found out she had low thyroid. Side effects are weight gain, constipation, lack of energy, and depression. She would eat mega fiber and no BM business. Got thyroid help and she is experiencing a much better reality all the way around.

What is considered "low thyroid" has changed measurement-wise. It is extremely common yet often goes undiagnosed. Many people's doc's say they're fine when a naturopath might say you're a little low. My friend says get your blood tested, talk to preferably a naturopath, read up on it, and if you think this sounds like something that is going on with you, don't give up until you find a doc that you feel takes you seriously. She recommends the book "Living Well with Hypothyroidism" that you could probably find at your local library.

Just one possibility to explore if you haven't already. Good luck!
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get a heart monitor, it is my favortie new toy. This really helps you keep track acurately of calories burned for your height, weight, age, etc. You can also see how your fitness level improves. Sometimes it takes two weeks or more for my body to get into the flow of losing weight...so be patient. Celebrate any sucess you have, try to be positive...just keep visualizing yourself at the weight you want, and keep doing all the right things and you will get there!
  • teacherandmommy
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I really do feel better. I really feel as though this website can help me. I appreciate all you words and thank you again!
  • lokana2k
    lokana2k Posts: 8
    Options
    Have you checked your thyroid levels? I found out that I had hypothroidism and that is why I have not been able to loose the weight like other people. I am on synthroid and I am doing fine. Still not loosing weight faster than others.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    I can tell you what has helped me. I take about 10 grams of Omega 3 every day. I alternate between high quality fish oil and organic flax oil (Barlean's). It helps my mood and my regularity. I also do a green food supplement and a fiber supplement.
    I also try to eat about 70% veggies and 30% protein sources (fish, meat, eggs). I don't do much bread or processed carbs, just brown or wild rice. I will sneak in a light hamburger roll once in a while. I also do not do much dairy and take a calcium supplement.
    I have not gotten on the scale in two weeks (the program I am doing is a three week one), but I can fit into clothes that I could not wear two weeks ago.
    As for exercise, I am circuit training three days a week.
    Good luck and hang in!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Start recording everything you eat - & all your exercise.
    You may find that you need to eat more. Keep us posted. Let us help. There are lots of people here who have lost lots of weight & could be very helpful.