Tips that have worked for you.

Options
I thought I'd document and share some of the tips, rules, guidelines etc that I've developed as I've gone about in my weightloss. Some are no brainers, some are a bit unconventional, but they've worked for me. Add yours below.

* I try to limit alcohol to 2 days a weekly only. Given I was having a glass or 3 of wine most nights, this took a bit of getting used to, but it was easy to see how easy it was to gain weight with alcohol. It's made a big difference to reducing my daily cals.

* I reduced my coffees to 1 cafe latte a day (down from about 2-3). Again, easy way to reduce cals. I switch to green tea instead.

* Exercise is vital for me. Basically it allows me to eat more, so I don't feel deprived. Also when I'm fit, I tend to eat better anyway.

* I have always considered myself a grazer, but it doesn't really work that well for me. I find the more frequently I snack, the more I want to eat. Doesn't matter how much I've eaten, it becomes a bit of a license to just eat. Bit of an unconventional one, but I don't have a morning snack anymore, but save my snack to quite late in the afternoon - about 4 - 4.30pm, which gets me through the period of the day when I usually have a tendency to binge. If I am particularly hungry, I'll have another snack an hour or 2 later to get me through that period before dinner.

* I've made it a rule not to pick at kids meals. I often didn't even know I was doing it and suddenly would find myself with food in my mouth.

* When I'm feeling like snacking, my alternative activity is to do some washing - either put in the machine, hang out, fold, or put away.

* I keep low cal snacks on hand. I like weight watchers jelly fruit, canned fruit, and the Atkins Range. Aussie Bodies (Australia) also do some protein type snacks for around 100 cals.

* I try not to buy nuts too often. Even though they are a good snack, I can never stop at a small serving and before I know it I've consumed 500 plus calories.

* I don't have any foods that are off limits. As long as they are within my calorie allowance I don't deprive myself. However I have found myself making better choices if I can't 'afford' them calorie wise.

* I have felt more confident in saying 'no' in social situations. I have learned that I can just say no and don't need to give an explanation or make a big deal about it. That just because it's there, I don't have to eat it. That it's not as if I'll never get that opportunity to eat that food again. And if I don't want to say no, I opt for smaller sizes, or find ways of keeping the cals a bit lower - eg, saying no to cream with cake.

* I tend to eat a bigger meal in the evening, and go a bit lighter during the day. The evening meal is the social meal for me, so I don't feel like I'm missing out. I plan my calories accordingly for the day, which means a smaller breakfast and lunch.

* I have a sweet tooth in the evening, so always allow a small low cal snack after dinner. Built into my daily allowance.

* I work on a net average calories for the week, rather than daily. Therefore this allows days of treats (but not every day).

* Protein. I am not doing low carb, but I do try to eat more protein foods. I often have a protein shake for breakfast, and opt for protein snacks. Pasta etc is not off limits to me.

Replies

• annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things that I got from another site that have proved helpful. First, when I buy a box of cold cereal at the supermarket, I divide it into serving sized ziplock bags as soon as I get home. This prevents trouble at breakfast. Just pour one of the little bags into the bowl, don't pour directly from the box. No thinking or vigilance necessary. I personally find it hard to "eyeball" what a true serving of cereal is, so this is the one tip that I am sooo thankful for.

Second, someone suggested that they eat oatmeal as one of their snacks. This works on the weekends for me as the warmth of the porridge really satisfies. Not feasible during the workweek, though.

Finally, I have never been a water drinker. But if I put lemon in it, I can get a lot more down than when it is plain.
  • CharlieWolt
    Options
    This is a really good idea. I really like hearing other people's take on things.

The social situation eating is my biggest flaw - I am so easily swayed by my friends - even if they're not encouraging/discouraging me. If they eat I eat. What they eat, I also eat. IF they don't - then I won't either.

I feel really guilty when I eat bad foods especially as snacks.

I find I feel fine if I have cereal/oats as a snack - it fills you for a decent amount of time and its healthy and good for your metabolism - unless of course you're trying to stick to low carbs. In which case I strongly recommend cans of tuna.

Black coffee - I went from lattes, to flat whites, constantly decreasing the amount of milk I had in my coffee and black coffee tastes better these days.

Think about exercise. and Think about healthy foods. When you let these thoughts percolate in your mind - although it sounds crazy - it blocks out any other thoughts say about craving bad foods, or feeling lazy, and instead I find it motivates me.

..thats what I can think of for now ... Im not very good at this whole dieting thing, I feel like Ive remained at the same weight for ages ... but those are just a few things that keep me from gaining weight I suppose as a start.
    Go team.