I Know You Are Gonna Yell At Me....

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
I have lost 10 lbs in 3 months and you can't even tell. Now I am at a standstill (plateau) and am losing willpower to continue. It seems as though I am "toning" more than losing and my body isn't going in the direction I want it to.
I have stuck to MFP and followed the "right way" to diet, however, I think to get to where I want is to stop eating. I mean, obviously, not STOP completely, but Ive never seen anyone GAIN weight from reducing calories or eating less. Starvation mode doesn't make u gain.

I give up!

Replies

• rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" doesn't make you gain when you are starving yourself, but you will simply plateau a few pounds from where you are already, and then when you start eating again your body will save every last calorie you put into your mouth as fat to store for the starving season again. You will end up a lot heavier than when you started.
    Don't. Do. That. Your body (and you!) deserve better.

:heart:
  • FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    i am living proof that you can and WILL gain weight if you don't eat! i gained 20 pounds in 12 months by starving myself and over exercising.....if you don't think you can get fat by eating celery and broccoli - thank again my friend!!! your body goes into self-preservation mode and will convert anything you eat into fat....you will start to live off of your own body - especially muscle so all of that nice toned up leaness you have attained in the last few months will be gone gone gone and you will be a big fat lump of fat! yippeeee sounds like fun!...in fact - if anything, most people have found that when they reach a plateau they need to add in a few more calories per day - i think the average i have seen on here is about 200 calories and then their weight loss began to move again...your body is getting healthier and the fat to muscle ratio is changing! your metabolic needs have probably gone up so you need to eat more to support your body! it sounds counterintuitive but it's how the body works. i hope you change your attitude and find your motivation to continue in a healthy way...if not you can join me in that starving fatties club! we can not eat and be miserable together! :drinker:
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'm not yelling, I know how you feel. But I have two questions I suggest you ask yourself:

- how long will you keep at it? Sure, you can't gain if don't eat, but what happens afterwards, when you start eating normally? Sure you've heard of "it all coming back, plus some more". You don't want that, do you? Plus, how's your brain going to function without proper fuel (minerals, vitamins etc)?

- hunger is not a bad thing. Resisting hunger, up to a point, is OK (we don't always eat when we're a little hungry, sometimes we just think we're hungry when we're bored and so on). But how's your stomach going to handle being empty all the time? Are you willing to cope with the consequences?

I've seen so many people reporting success after plateaus. Dunno for how long yours has been already, but don't lose confidence! Sure, play a little with the calories, try cardio a bit more or whatever suits your body best, but try keeping a ballance in all you do. Think of it in the long run.

I know you can do it! :flowerforyou: As for the 10 lbs lost, this is great! And I'm pretty sure you CAN tell! :wink: Just think of yourself in better terms!

P.S. You don't have that much to lose. Are you at a healthy BMI already? I am, and I can't lose it all in a blink, but if I were honest with myself, I'd think of me as OK already. I am healthy, quite fit - but I'll never be a Cindy Crawford, I shouldn't even try :smile: . Still, I do :tongue:
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    FletcherChic's advice is so so good. I so love paradoxes :smile: - but at the end of the day, it's not even a paradox, because our body does tell us when it needs food and does so for a reason. So it's only half counterintuitive :).
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No yelling from us, but most importantly DO NOT YELL AT YOURSELF.

I used to be the queen of long plateaus. It may sound simple but how much water are you drinking? Not just the eight 8oz. Supposedly you divide your weight in half and that's how much water in ounces you're SUPPOSED to drink for your body.

Please hang in there. Also you body might've need the adjustment time.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    Did you ever consider the other side effects of starving yourself? Ya know, your kidneys and stuff...The damage what you can do for long run.
    It's frustrating, I know. (And I have to tell you, when I'm frustrated, tired, worried, etc, I gain weight like crazy- ok, I also eat like there's a magic pill in every chocolate bite)

Someone recently mentioned the "zigzag thing"...sorry, can't remember, maybe zigzag diet? Have you tried that?

The best thing is that you said it out loud. It will be easier to deal with now...and there're some pretty amazing people here when you need support, I would know!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions!!!
    You just get so depressed. You work your butt off not only physically but emotionally too. And you get to a point where you feel all of the effort you put into it was a waste of time.
    Im not feeling sorry for myself, I am honestly just frustrated.
    I have given my all and then some and just think
    I can't give anymore.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    Maybe you could look at it this way: so, you don't see the scale tipping, or your pants still don't fit. BUT. When you ate that fruit insted of that doughnut, you might just gave yourself a boost against cancer. When you work out, you might just helped your heart not to build up nasty stuff inside your veins. Start thinking "healthy" insted of "skinny"...
    I hear your frustration and I think we all get there. I found in my life it often wasn't my weight I really cared about that much. My life in BIG was a mess, but for some reason I let myself believe if I get skinny and "beautiful", my life will be perfect, doors will open, people will adore me, and nothing bad could happen anymore. I was (am) frustrated when I gain weight because I'm a control freak, and if I could control what I eat and how much I weight (or how I look, overall) then I would get the green card to control everything else..................................................

Don't believe to that "voice" that tells you you can't even do this. Yes you can. Stay here, with us and give your best try! Sign up for challenges like "no late night snacking", you'll be surprised how stimulating it is to have pals help you on the way!!

It's ok to vent!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: