Working out while having a baby/ young kid

Options
So for the ones that have kids.... What is your work out schedule like? I have an 8 month old and I do not go to the gym. I work out from home & If she is awake I have to stop every minute and a half it seems to refocus her on a toy so i can get my burn on. Any tips on when to work out. I try my best when she is down for a nap. The other day worked out great. I put her in a Snugli and walked around our yard with her for an hour.

Also feel free to send a friend request. I could use all the support I can get from other parents.

Replies

• cbascomb83
    cbascomb83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see the replies myself. I found myself working out at the very end of the day. The other day it was 10 pm before I got started! After dinner, giving my girls their baths, cleaning up from dinner, getting the kids to sleep and making my lunch for work the next day. I thought about getting up earlier in the morning before the house wakes up but I'm not much of a morning person. Plus, my youngest still gets up a few times during the night.
  • jessicareiter
    jessicareiter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom, so I use my lunch break for workouts. With the weather nice, I can get a nice 40 mins run in. I just look bright red for the first hour I am back at my desk.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 month old and I have been working out at home since she was 4 weeks old. The only way I can get it in is to get up early and workout before she is up. For me this means I am up at 5am. It took a while to get used to but it is the only way I can consistantly get my workouts in since her nap schedule is so unpredictable and there is no way I could work out while she is up! haha Good luck!
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When they are at that age I found the best thing was to go for walks with the baby in stroller or carry them around like you did. At that age their schedule seems to always be changing. Just as long as you always try to sneak in a workout here or there, it will be OK. It won't always be perfect or at the exact same time of the day, but you will get it done!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 2 year old and a 6 month old. We do lots of walks - pushing a 90+ pound double stroller is a great workout! I do videos during nap time (well, try to anyways), and when my husband gets home, I head over the gym for some me time.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30-4pm, my kids (I have 4, ages 10, 5, 3 and 1)are in school/daycare until 6pm (if I choose to let them stay). I go straight home from work, do my 30min Jillian Michael's DVD (used to go to the gym for 45min) then get my rugrats. Otherwise I will wait until they go to bed then work out, it sucks because all you really want to do is relax but it's only 30 minutes, so I make myself do it.
  • merricker
    merricker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies single moms? I ask my husband to watch the kids so I can work out.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom also. I have a 4 yo and a 18 mo old. My husband and I rotate mornings at the gym, the other gets the kids to MILs. It works great for us. I will also do the shred or BodyRock in the evenings once the kids are down for the night. They go to bed at 7pm so that gives me a little time. Good luck mama.
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Before I joined the YMCA and started using their daycare, I did not have a set time to work out. The only times I could get a consistent work without the constant interruptions was when my husband came home from work or during nap time. If I wanted to work out before either of those things happened I was stuck with going for a walk and had hardly any variation in my routine. Good luck finding a time that works for you and if it is an option for you, I really recommend finding a gym with a nice daycare program. My son, who is 3, loves going and playing there a few times a week.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As a working mom of 2 preschool age children the only time I can get my at-home workout in (I don't got to the gym at all) is first thing in the morning. I get up at 4:30am to get it done. I workout for atleast 60 minutes sometimes more. It used to be really hard to get up that early, but now it's like second nature. Good luck!
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old boy and it has been a challenge. I do a lot of walking with him. The snuggie was GREAT when he was smaller because it was extra weight and cuddle time. I did stroller time to walk also. Now I do park time and climbing around up and down the equipment, pushing in the swing, chasing, etc is a great workout. I get up at 5 on weekdays and workout for 30 minutes in the morning before I get ready and get him up and ready. I don't get a lunch break at work so I have to sneak it in when I can. Get a HRM and get creative! Push ups during play/tummy time... Presses on your back with baby... Dance time... crawling/chase with little one... Make it fun for both of you!

Feel free to add me! Good luck on your journey!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Get her on a regular napping schedule. Then you can workout during that time. I have a home daycare and I typically have 5-6 kids here daily. I workout in the basement at naptime while they are all sleeping. If I can do it, anyone can.:flowerforyou:
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ihave a 2 year old and a six year old .i tend to do 30ds when lo is having a nap .I walk lots pushing him in the buggy and when oh gets home in the evening I meet friends for a jog some eveings or he takes boys out for half hour while I work out .The days oh is home late i try my best to do it in nap time orsit the boys on sofa and hope they will play with toys for half hour lol or workout around then lol
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 23 month old. I either work out while they're asleep or tell their father to get off his butt and watch them.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies single moms? I ask my husband to watch the kids so I can work out.

Seriously I'm surprised at how many people don't just simply get the father to watch the children.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have two toddlers... So they aren't as young anymore. My goal each day is to do about 30 minutes of working out a day. I don't really have 30 minutes of free time so I tend to do short exercises here and there and combine the results at the end of the day. Like 2 days ago I did a 12 minute circuit, plus 8 minutes on my stationary bike and then I jogged around the living room for 10 minutes. Ended up burning I believe 350 cals that day. Yesterday I did a 10 minutes circuit then took the kids outside to play and while they were playing I played basketball with the hubs for 20 minutes ... ended up burning over 400 cals that day.

A few weeks back I would workout for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. In the morning the family would normally be sleeping... so I would do my workout, cook breakfast and head to work. Then in the evening the hubs would watch the kids so I could knock out a 15 minutes short cardio routine. Its hard to get in the time so splitting it up and fitting it in where I can really helps.

I don't have a gym membership either... I just workout at home.

For me its all about the quality of the workout versus quantity I USED TO workout for hours after the kids went to sleep but I would end up missing soooo much sleep and being so bored and exhausted I wasn't burning nearly as much as I should've. Now I do 30 minutes each day with as much intensity as I can. I burn more cals that way and I dont get bored with working out.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Currently I am using my lunch hour at work to hit the gym but that has not always been the case.
    I have a 6 yr old daughter and for many years I would put her to bed and hit the gym after bedtime when my husband was home. I found it best to get dressed for the gym directly after work and before I start dinner. If I am already dressed and ready to go I have a much better chance that I won't talk myself out of going :)

Good Luck!
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I have a 3yo and I fit it in where I can. Sometimes I go for a run as soon as my husband is home for the day, other times I go while he is at preschool, and sometimes I go once he is in bed for the evening. It really just depends on the day, how my 3yo is behaving, what I have planned, etc.

I have gone running with him in the jogger stroller - but it's getting difficult as he's getting so heavy now, and he TALKS all the time - and I don't have enough breath to push him in the stroller (That's an extra 65lbs!) and run AND talk LOL!!!!!
  • noKTdidnt
    noKTdidnt Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Stroller Strides? They're a nationwide brand that has you bring your child in a stroller and you work out there with your baby and other moms. I haven't tried it since I work during the times it's hosted locally but it looks great!