Very sore muscles

Options
Slice1
Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
Tuesday evening I was doing a workout that included squats with weights. Not just squats, but do a squat, then bounce up and turn, squat down, bounce back up, turn in another direction, etc.

I killed my thighs. Literally killed them. I can't walk, it hurts to get up from sitting, it hurts to sit from standing, I can't do stairs.

I used to do Body Pump at my gym 2 nights per week. Never had it hurt this bad.

I've tried to walk it off. I've tried stretching. I've tried a long bath with epsom salts. I've tried cream for sore muscles. I've tried Ibuprofen.

I'm now taking it easy to not hurt them more. But I'm supposed to go curling tomorrow with my co-workers. Not too sure if my legs will be able to handle it.

Any suggestions? What do you do for muscle pain?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Foam roller will help with tightness. But there really is no cure for DOMS.

Usually more exercise will help, though. If you're really ripped up, be sure to take a rest day here and there. Don't take multiple rest days until the soreness goes away, though. That's fail.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Work them again! It will make them feel better. Just not as hard.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I agree foam rolling will help a little...

But I'm not much help on this topic. I love sore muscles. Really, really sore muscles. To me, it means progress.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting way of doing squats, can you tell me what the idea is behind turning after every squat?
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Two days lactic acid is not unusual, what you feel is that you did the workout right :)

I'd recommend doing mostly the same thing today with much lighter weights, its called exercise-recovery, and helps flush the lactic acid out.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Wow we did the exact same exercise on Tuesday, I went back yesterday and did the elliptical, it hurt like hell after but today I am feeling better. I also feel like the more in pain I am...the better the workout haha
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Oh and have protein snacks throughout the day, help your body repair that muscle.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    It's an interesting way of doing squats, can you tell me what the idea is behind turning after every squat?

I *think* the OP is referring to plyo squats. Not entirely sure though..
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I use a heat pad, along with a rolling pin on the muscles, stretching and light exercise - I often get incredibly tight calves - and the combination of everything, with lots of water and a little tylenol helps.
  • Slice1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

And I don't know what the squats are called, or what the purpose is. It was on my Jillian Michaels DVD: Shred It With Weights.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Seems like you've tried a lot of the right things.

I usually foam roll. Take ibuprofen. Take creatine. And take contrast showers (60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold)
  • Slice1
    Options
    Seems like you've tried a lot of the right things.

I usually foam roll. Take ibuprofen. Take creatine. And take contrast showers (60 seconds hot 60 seconds cold)

Thanks!