What am I doing wrong?

Options
I don't seem to be losing weight anymore?
1200 calories a day.... 5'9' 182 pounds, 50 years old on Saturday.... (was hoping to be at 180 on my birthday) :sad:
I am not putting in my exercise which is 30-60 minutes (2-4 Miles) of walking a day... because I don't think it amounts to alot of calories. I overestimate my calories so I am not fooling myself... but it just seems that I have stalled.
Can anyone look over my diary and tell me what I am doing wrong?

I am Hypothyroid, but I medicate.... I have other health issues but nothing that should interfere???
Any help would be appreciated!!!
My overall goal was to be 140-150 by end of October 2012. At this rate, not sure I can get there..

Replies

• Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    bump for help!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Play around with your calories for the day, I would bet that you're not eating enough especially with the exercise. Also, are you really not drinking any water or are you just not entering it?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    A full diet break will probably help you break through your plateau. Msg me if you want me to expand on what I mean.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You need to EAT MORE. Based on the BMR Calculator on fitnessfrog.com (which I have found to be very accurate through comparisons with my BodyBugg), your BMR is 1530. You should be eating ABOVE 1530 calories per day.

ETA: Don't get discouraged. You are doing great! :smile:
  • angie_sample
    Options
    yep it looks like u need some more food. Also exercise may not amount to a lot of calories but it still really important. Try to just do some cardio and strength training. Strength training will help u bulid muscle and muscle helps u burn calories faster. Plateaus happen just try some different things and dont give up! :)
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Your meals yesterday looked so yummy!

I would try to track your sugar and sodium also. You may be going over some days which will affect water weight retention. :flowerforyou:
  • chrishaupt
    Options
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Try eating more. It looks like you are usually under 1200 calories a day...Or zig Zag your calories, low day eat 1200 cal's high day eat 1400 cals. Good luck
  • Francesca3162
    Options
    I drink between 40 and 60 ounces of water a day.. Usually that is all I drink besides my hot tea in the morning.
    I guess I will splurge on calories for a few days (ITS MY B-DAY WEEKEND)--so hubby can cook me whatever he wants now)
    He is a chef, so telling him what he can cook, cramps his style.....lol...

So I can eat one small cupcake with my Grandson????
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can eat a cupcake! Just plan for it. Eat less somewhere else. A splurge once in a while will help keep you from feeling deprived!

Don't be fooled by the eat less, lose more mentality. It's doesn't work!

Hypothyroidism is a royal pain. I means you'll probably lose slower than whatever your goal weight loss is set to each week. Exercise is a must. Not counting it probably will work out for the best for you, being hypothyroid. Especially since it's just walking. You may want to look into finding another source of exercise, even if it's just playing with your grandson! Changing up exercise routine is a great way to keep the weight coming off. (I'm hypo too.) Oh, you might be starch sensitive, so try to get most of your carbs from fruits and vegetables whenever possible. A lot of people that are hypo have this issue.

Finally, more water. 40-60 ounces is a great start. Double it. Honest! I drink that much, minimum. I find it helps avoid some of the hypo issues too.

Enjoy your B'day celebration, and don't worry about the diet for it. You're allowed to enjoy your birthday!
  • Francesca3162
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Thanks All!
    I will most certainly enjoy the Bday...
    Its a milestone (50)....
    I am trying to work myself into a jog... as I cannot walk any faster...
    Even bought a jogging stroller so Grandson can join me....
    And I am starting ZUMBA this weekend.... all my Zumba friends are younger, but I am more determined!!! lol

I will vary my calorie intake for a few days and see what that does!!

:flowerforyou:
  • MariConnors
    Options
    lol - this is an edit! Next time I'll read the others before I comment! : )

Hi Francesca - looking at your diary just for a couple of days gave me a couple of ideas.

First, drink eight glasses of water per day. I found out this really helps you lose weight.
    Second, Try to spread out the calories more equally between meals / I'm on a fairly strict diet,
    and it requires me to do four meals a day around 400 calories each meal.

I would also like to lose more than I am, but keep forgetting to drink the water - and one nutritionist told me that unless you drink the water, the diet will not work. they had someone who strictly adhered to their diet and lost no weight - then they discovered he was ignoring the water! He drank the water and kept to the diet and began losing.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein and reducing your carbs. And eat more! If you were losing doing what you have been doing, you need to shake things up. Try to each closer to your 1300 calorie goal. And be consistent.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :flowerforyou: