Which is better, machines or body weight?

Options
skylark94
skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
The apartment complex where I live has a nice little gym that is included in my rent. I have used it almost daily for my cardio and have been doing my strength training at home. I am starting to get really bored with the body weight exercises and want to try something new, but my gym has only the Precor weight machines, no free weights (I assume to prevent theft).

So which is better? Can I start using the machines, or should I stick with the boring old squats, push-ups, etc? Please don't tell me to join a "real" gym. I can't justify the cost and it's harder to find the time when I have to drive there.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    My vote is for bodyweight.

Machines force you into an artificial range of motion and don't require engagement of multiple muscle groups.

Although... I don't see why you can't do bodyweight and supplement with machines.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Machines will do the job
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    A boat or a car - which is better?

Better for what? Depends on the individual. There are many variables such as goal, body type, injuries, etc.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I vote bodyweight too, although it's mostly because I have no idea how to use the machines. If you google "travel wod's" you will get some good links to some varied workouts that require little to no equipments.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I say do both.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have the same gym setup at my work. I had used it primarily for cardio until this week I started messing with the machines some. Oh boy do they work good. There are so many muscles I can work on them that my free weights can't do. I'd highly recommend learning some of the exercises for them and proper sets/reps and add them to your workout.