Extreme Sore Muscles

Options
I've been doing Jazzercise classes for almost 5 years now as my form of excercise. This week, I decided it was time to step it up and add variety to my work outs so I joined the YMCA. I took my first spinning class on Monday and followed that with some resistence strength training. On Tuesday, I participated in a toneing class that was lead by a Personal Trainer, so it was tough. I followed that up with a Jazzercise class for cardio. Wednesday, another spinning class. By Wednesday evening, I could barely walk I was so sore. It was difficult to go to a sitting position and equally difficult to rise into a standing position. Should a person be this sore after working out? I decided to take today off; but, I don't like it. I need my cardio. I'm also 44 yrs. old.

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are working muscles not previously worked. You would do your body some good by taking 1-2 days rest.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I felt that way after the my first run through a new workout & using weights for the first time in years. It was brutal - I was so sore I could barely move & took three days off. It's frustrating because you want to keep going, but those muscles need time to heal. Hope you feel better soon and can get back at it!
  • MadusaCait
    MadusaCait Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that you may have pushed yourself a little too hard, too soon.

That being said sore muscles are best addressed before the soreness shows up. Stretch. Do a warm up that is 5-10 minutes, and cool down for the same. Personally, I found that using a heart monitor helped me stay in the proper cardio training zones, for the warm up/cool down.

ALSO! My favorite internet discovery, vitamin C and E right after your workout really cuts down the lactic acid!!!!!!! I don't get super sore anymore because of these supplements.

Hope this works for you!
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    IMHO, that's a natural response. As you said, you've been doing Jazzercise for 5 years, and muscles tend to get comfy when the routine is about the same for extended periods of time*

*Periods of time, of course, vary. It's about 2-3 months for me, for example.

You subjected your muscles to a different stress. I think strength training has the strongest effect on ripping muscle tissue. btw, ripping muscle tissue is not a bad thing :) not always, anyway. To build stronger muscle, you need to rip it and allow it to grow stronger! Take rest and EAT. Active recovery is also neat, look into that if you'd like.

Of course, this is just a thought. ;)

AK.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal to be sore after a bunch of new exercise! You've put your body through a lot in a very short time. It's time for some rest and let the soreness fade a little. Soak in a hot bath, it helps! I hope you'll be feeling better tomorrow, and back at it!
  • Sunshine623
    Sunshine623 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much you already intake but upping your water will help with the soreness as well, or so my trainer says and I feel a difference. I know the feeling, I've actually gotten mild rhabdo before, so painful and scary. He recommends half you body weight in pounds, drink that number in ounces. Icing after helps too. I am still sore almost everyday from different things, it's the good mild kind of sore though, let's me know I'm doing some work. And often exercising again helps loosen things up and relieves the soreness. Foam roller and tennis/lacrosse ball feel amazing too.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    After you workout, or even if you are experiencing soreness already, use a foam roller and roll the muscles. This helps promote blood flow to the muscles, which will help with the healing process. It also feels good to roll on them. You can use either a foam roller or a 4 inch PVC pipe (the pile will last much longer than a foam roller.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is awesome for sore muscles.

Sore muscles are totally normal when you make a large change to your routine, they are adapting.