How do you build endurance and add miles to my jog?

Options
I am able to jog a mile or so now, but I want to build up to 10miles. I am just wanting to hear how people built up their endurance. And how often they run? I don't have any kind of time limit to work to this goal. But I am thinking of running a race in October, but I haven't decided yet. Its a 10 to 12 mile race. Anyway please give me some ideas. Thanks.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I began training for a half marathon.. and logged regular runs (about 4 to 5) through the week for anywhere from 3 to 5 miles each then a long run every other weekend, increasing one mile each run, until I was able to run 13 at a crack. If you want to build endurance, the only way is to pound out the miles regularly. There's no trick to it. It's monotonous dedication that earns those extra miles.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If you want something more regimented, check out www.coolrunning.com. The have a bunch of different trainings for different mileage goals. Good luck!
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Big recommendation for Jeff Galloway. he has some great running plans!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You could google Hal Higdon half marathon training. If memory serves me, the plan caps out at a 10 mile long run prior to the race (thought it might be 11 or 12).

The key is to not increase your mileage more than 10% a week, on average. It's just putting in the time. I like to run 4-5 days a week and one of those is a long run, but it's just a process over time. Add a mile once a week to your long run and slowly increase your time during your mid-week runs. :)

It's fun earning those miles!
  • cutadrift
    Options
    I started running about two years ago. At that time, I was 28 and had never run a mile in my life. For the longest time, I could not get past 5 miles. It wasn't until I started lifting, doing bodyweight strength training, and high intensity interval runs that I finally felt confident enough to extend my mileage. I started this combo in January and I've jumped from 5 to 9 miles quickly, with the goal of running a half on May 5th. My current plan is to add a mile every week to my long run. I agree you gotta put in decent mileage, but since I've started "training" for the half, I haven't increased the frequency of my runs. I decided to stay focused on the strength training because that is what pushed me beyond 5 in the first place. My current workout week is something like....

Monday: run 5 miles
    Tuesday: bodyweight strength training (squats, push ups, lunges, dumbbell rows, plank, jumping jacks, etc)
    Wednesday: 40 minute interval run (jog 5 minutes, sprint 30 seconds at max speed, jog 1 1/2 mins, repeat for 30 mins, jog last 5 mins)
    Thursday: heavy lifting and ab work
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: longer run (this week it's 9 miles)
    Sunday: rest

I'm not saying I'm gonna win any races any time soon, but I feel confident I can make it to 13 miles. The best thing is, I don't feel burned out. Previously I've tried to run with a higher frequency and it just resulted in me hating it altogether.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Im not running at the mintue due to injury, but I used to do 2 nights in the week after work, plus a longer run at the weekend when i had more time.
    I didnt have any official program, just tried to run for longer each time. the weekday runs were a set route of around 4 miles, and the weekend was go where ever and run for as long as i could. I started off only running 30 seconds, and built up to around 6 miles last summer.

if you want a more structured running, runners wolrd has great training plans from beginners 5k right up to marathon / ultra running :-)
  • MichaelWWoods
    MichaelWWoods Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Thanks for tips.
  • StonerSteve
    Options
    do a lot of strength training on your legs and try weighted running, u can either use the Velcro ankle and wrist weights but for more results just throw a sandbag in a backpack strap it up tight and do your normal run and in no time, your endurance will go up as well as speed.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    consistency is key and good shoes is a MUST. Last year I was running every day - any where from 1 mile to 4 miles. ON weekends I would go for longer runs, varying from 8 to 10 miles. After a straight year of only running and 4 half marathons, my knee started coming into play and becoming bothersome. So this year, my goal was to add some variety when it comes to exercise. Need both my knees to be in good shape until October of this year (signed up for marathon). I only run twice during the week now (1 to 3 miles working on speed) and go for long, leisure runs on weekends to build up endurance. My off days, i'll do kettlebells, elliptical, or some cardio DVD. I have to admit, since changing it up, I've lost an additional 11pounds and have shaved 5 minutes off my 5 mile PR. Good luck!!
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hal Higdon site and Runners World magazine are definitely very helpful as well :)
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Bump
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    While you're still building up miles, don't run more often than once every other day. You want to avoid injury which could sideline you from running at all.

I started running for the first time last April and have completed two half marathons since January. I didn't get serious until October when I ran my first 10K. My training regimen from November to mid-January was 2 days of shorter runs (from 4 miles increasing slowly to 6 miles) and one long run on the weekends (starting at 6 miles and working up to 11). My longest run, 11 miles, was two Sundays before the half marathon. I finished that half marathon in a time under my goal and felt great afterward, no injuries, no soreness.

Be sure you have the proper shoes. Get fitted for real running shoes if you haven't already. I found I could run up to 3 miles wearing any old thing but after that, I needed the right shoes or I had issues with my knee. With the right shoes, the knee problem disappeared almost instantly.

Run on asphalt or dirt. Avoid concrete.

Have fun!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you can run one mile non stop right now you should be able to build up to 10 miles within the next three months. My suggestion is to immediately start running 3 miles three times a week. Walk as necessary until you can do the three miles without stopping. It won't take long. Then start adding one mile to one of the runs each week while keeping the other two runs at three miles. Each week add one mile until you are up to 10. During this time, if everything is feeling good and nothing is really sore between runs you can add a fourth run of threee miles to the week.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    I am able to jog a mile or so now, but I want to build up to 10miles. I am just wanting to hear how people built up their endurance. And how often they run? I don't have any kind of time limit to work to this goal. But I am thinking of running a race in October, but I haven't decided yet. Its a 10 to 12 mile race. Anyway please give me some ideas. Thanks.

As a runner, i would advise that you first make sure that you build up to 3 miles of running without stopping before you start increasing further mileage. Once you can do non stop 3 miles, then start increasing by 1 mile a week slowly until you reach your max distance.
    I personally don't run everyday and I have been racing for few years now. I only run 3 days per week: One of my runs is always the same distance (considered my short run), one day i do speed work (you go all out for a given distance and then you back-off for half of that distance-then you repeat multiple times) and one day is my long run (you just go for distance- slow and steady). The other days i cross train.
    Just keep in mind that if you are just starting, you have to let your body adjust before you increase speed/distance. othweise you will end up injured and that is the last thing you need.
    Best of luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The key is consistency and gradual progression (to avoid injury you don't want to increase your mileage by more than 10% week over week) Run every 2nd day (3 days wk 1, 4 days wk2) and cross train (biking, swimming, strength) core strength is important.

Warm up properly before your runs (dynamic stretching) and take the time to stretch properly after your run (static stretching). Listen to your body, a little soreness is normal, acute pain isn't. One tool I've found very useful is a foam roller (my massage therapist turned me on to these after I suffered an IT band issue last fall)

Have fun!