HELP... Weight Lifting/Cardio

Options
I need some help everyone!

I have an obsession with thinking Cardio will make me lose weight.. When really I know Weight lifting is just as important! I am down 17 pounds and I have 13 more to go before to reach my goal weight! I really want to tone up however every time I get to the gym I always head to the cardio area!

I really want to work on toning my arms/abs and Legs. See where I would get for April 29! I am on a 30 day cycle for each month!

I need some help on changing my mind frame that I need to do more weight training! And maybe a little help on how many days I should train/do Cardio..

Any help?? PLEASE :)

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would totally suggest "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" (http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333041631&sr=8-1). I totally changed how I thought about weight training and I got a ton of good information, and he breaks it down really easily in an easy to follow system. Building muscles is so good for you, it helps boost your metabolism and keep your body burning fat long after your workout! I have also noticed such a positive change in how my body looks and my clothes are fitting since I started strength training. There's no reason NOT to!
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Maybe my progress pictures will help change your mindframe?

Sept 2011 - 5'4" and ~133 lbs and 23% body fat
    photo-7.jpg

March 2012 - 5'4" and ~129 lbs and 17-18% body fat
    6022dcc9.jpg

You're not going to lose fat and "tone" with cardio so hit the weights!
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    Can you give a sample of your workouts please? Or message them to me?

photo-7.jpg

6022dcc9.jpg

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm a former cardio junkie as well. NROL has done a great job of introducing me to strength training and great training plans. I'm only on stage 1, but I love it because it's been easy to stick with.

Plus, Deadlifts make me feel like a b@d@ss!!
  • renejtrainer
    renejtrainer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do cardio everyday. On strength training days, I go over to weights first and get that out of the way. Then I do cardio for 45-60min. You don't want to be lean with no strength. Go ahead and lift those weights! Your muscles will thank you. Try a mon/wed/friday schedule for strength training:

Monday - Triceps/shoulders/chest
    Wed - Legs
    Fri - biceps/back/abs

You have to give your muscles time to recover. At least 48hours.
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    Is it by Lou Schuler?
    Here's another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm a former cardio junkie as well. NROL has done a great job of introducing me to strength training and great training plans. I'm only on stage 1, but I love it because it's been easy to stick with.

Plus, Deadlifts make me feel like a b@d@ss!!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later
  • cyncetastic
    Options
    Can you give a sample of your workouts please? Or message them to me?

You can visit my blog (URL in my profile) where I posted the weight training routine I began with. :)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options

photo-7.jpg

6022dcc9.jpg

Holy crap! You look awesome, well done! Totally inspiring.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options

photo-7.jpg

6022dcc9.jpg

You look incredible :)
  • mamoojack
    mamoojack Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i decided to go into the "weight room" today myself. I learned one thing, I have no idea what I am doing!
  • cyncetastic
    Options
    i decided to go into the "weight room" today myself. I learned one thing, I have no idea what I am doing!

This is a common fear for a lot of women. What really helped me was watching these videos to know exactly how to properly do the movements I planned to do. It also helped to actually HAVE a plan so I wasnt just walking around aimlessly picking up a weight here and there and then getting discouraged.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My trainer says to lift minimum 3 days a week - I don't like to weight train either so I go to a bodypump class my gym offers and it gives me a great 1 hour workout and I already see a difference. Then I do my 45-75 minutes of cardio depending on how I am feeling and how hard I push during my lifting.

Good Luck!
  • ATLMel
    Options
    Is it by Lou Schuler?

Yup! He does a great job writing for women while not being one. Within a few pages he had broken me of my "I don't wanna be bulky" weight lifting fear.

If you decide to get it and try it out, message me. I have some logs that I've gathered from the internet that make it easy to track.

The suggested workouts can be a little confusing to decipher at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's simple. Plus, I take the workout, go to the gym, put my head down, get the work done and I'm done in about 30-40 mins....its great.
  • ATLMel
    Options

This is a common fear for a lot of women. What really helped me was watching these videos to know exactly how to properly do the movements I planned to do. It also helped to actually HAVE a plan so I wasnt just walking around aimlessly picking up a weight here and there and then getting discouraged.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

+1000000 to that link! I think it saved my neck/back/knees!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Is it by Lou Schuler?

Yes!
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and heavy weight train and find it is all about finding a balance. I truly enjoy and love my Zumba, step, and cycling but I know how important weight training is and I love that too. It really becomes important to know how to fuel differently for each activity in order to get and stay lean. I lift heavy almost daily (different muscle groups of course) and do some form of cardio daily as well and am in the best shape of my life and have shed over 8% body fat in 5 months since the addition of heavy lifting to my cardio routine.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    guilty, bump for later!