Any guys who use push ups as your only "lifting" exercises?

Options
JPod279
JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
I was wondering if any of you strictly use push ups as your "lifting". I've tried lifting free weights but they are sooooooo heavy (ah thank you :laugh: ) and I don't like the machines at the gym very much. Was just wondering what kind of success you have had.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    No.
    Pushups are a great part of training, but not gonna do it all.

heavy is good. lift free weights. be a man.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    No.

what he said
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to bench? Start light and work your way up gradually.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Google Herschell Walker. His push up workouts are insane!

Edited to add a little more info: his workout is 3,500 sit ups, 1,000 push ups, and an 8 mile run. Every day. But I highly doubt many people are as amazing genetic specimens as Herschell Walker.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I've tried lifting free weights but they are sooooooo heavy (ah thank you :laugh: )

What the......:noway:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you strictly use push ups as your "lifting". I've tried lifting free weights but they are sooooooo heavy (ah thank you :laugh: ) and I don't like the machines at the gym very much. Was just wondering what kind of success you have had.
    I wouldn't think that anyone would just do push ups. If they were just going to do body weight exercises it would also include lunges, squats, dips, pull ups, chin ups, crunches. That's not all but all I can think of this minute.
  • fifteenorphans
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. If you want to get HYOUUUUGE, push ups won't cut it. But bodyweight training can be great strength training. Would I advise pushups as the only exercise you do? No. But you can certainly get in great shape doing exclusively bodyweight work. Want proof? Just look at gymnasts.

I've never followed a bodyweight program, but I hear good things about both Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym, so those may be things to check out if you want a bw program to start off.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No.

Ha! lots of us ladies insist on being men, too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At this stage of things my strength training is pretty much only push up & pull ups of various modifications. It keeps me happy maintaining an acceptable amount of muscle mass.
    BUT, I have a long history of pounding free weights hard, so I had a lot of muscle mass to start with. Because of that history I also feel a bit weird only doing body weight exercises, but my focus has changed as I've gotten older, I'm into running and marathons, not seeing how big I can get.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I used to. I didn't really start noticing big changes until I hit the weights. So if it's at all possible for you.. lift.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The OP can't be serious. I don't think I've ever heard a man say that he didn't want to lift weights cause they were "too heavy".

Do you have some kind of injury or are you just being....well...you know.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The OP can't be serious. I don't think I've ever heard a man say that he didn't want to lift weights cause they were "too heavy".

^^This^^

And seriously, Push-ups are great, I love 'em...all kinds...but, the real matter is are you just wanting to stay with what you have, toning up...or have you tried slowly adding weight to your workout? As we all know we can't start off with massive amounts of weight, just gotta slowly build it up and strive to increase...

Btw..I love Lifting!!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    IVe primaly used running as my cardio and my primary weight loss I love running. Lateley ive been doing more and more pushups just for upper body stuff but im becomming more interested in a weight training regime. Want to tone things up not interested in bulk just want to burn more fat and become lean. And actually im getting ready to invest in some nice dumbells and some resistance bands and incorporate the upper body workouts from P90X into my running.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    IVe primaly used running as my cardio and my primary weight loss I love running. Lateley ive been doing more and more pushups just for upper body stuff but im becomming more interested in a weight training regime. Want to tone things up not interested in bulk just want to burn more fat and become lean. And actually im getting ready to invest in some nice dumbells and some resistance bands and incorporate the upper body workouts from P90X into my running.

Your primary weight loss is your diet, not your running. You can still get fat even if you run.

You can't bulk unless you are eating a calorie surplus over your TDEE.

Nothing wrong with doing pushups and bodyweight exercises, but at some point you should increase resistance to ensure you continue having good body composition.
  • JPod279
    Options

The soooooo heavy remark.....It's called a joke. Check into it.

I am actually having a problem with my right shoulder. Some of the exercises I do with weights causes a "pinch" in the shoulder. It really is affecting my strength. For some reason, it is not there when I do push ups. So, last night I did 100 push ups instead of lifting. I felt like it really gave me a better full body work out versus the lifting I have been doing the last 2 months. I am not going for a lot of bulk. Just want to lose fat but I know you have to do some sort of weight training a couple times a week to really burn fat.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    I do different kinds of push ups to increase the difficulty of my body weight workout, including decline, narrow, wide, dive bomber, and push up jacks. They've done great at defining my triceps and shoulders, and my pecs to a lesser extent. I include dumbbell curls to balance the biceps. I'm not looking to get big, so push ups work for me.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    There alot of variations to make pushups harder. I thought I was good at pushups when I could rattle off 40-50 at one shot.

But then I started doing alternate pushups with one hand on of those weighed balls. Hell I could only do about 15
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    There's some Push Up trainer apps on Android that are free. You usually set an objective for how many continuous pushups you want to do, enter how many you can do right now, and then it will put a program together for you. It's good stuff.

Also, if you go to Five Below, they have these red plastic pushup bars. You can disassemble them and put them in your luggage when you're traveling. Very convenient.
  • JPod279
    Options
    makeitbetter and Jeff92, do you do any other weights now and/or in the past? I have never really worked out with weights much. I was always pretty lean until I was injured in 99 and then balooned up from there.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    makeitbetter and Jeff92, do you do any other weights now and/or in the past? I have never really worked out with weights much. I was always pretty lean until I was injured in 99 and then balooned up from there.

I have a powerlifting past so I tend to do those types of workouts. but I don't go has heavy and I triple set all my lifts so I can get a full body workout in the limited days I'm in the gym.

I think weight lifting could really help if you use them correctly. I try to lift but gear it towards doing 3 sets of diff lifts back to back and limit the down time in between sets. You don't have to go heavy but you should do the proper lifts. Just depends on what you can do w/o pain via your injury