I am so completely humbled by what I saw today!

Options
As I am between gyms at the moment, I have been going to the public track to walk. Gyms really spoil you as you have air conditioning etc., so I was really miserable outdoors. I was complaining to myself about the humidity, the sitch in my side and I was just getting ready to leave when a new person stepped on to the track. This woman had to be in her 70's. She was walking with the help of a walker, but she brought her walker on the track and completed lap after lap after lap. Of course she was moving at a much slower pace than everyone else, but she moved steadily never stopping or anything. Observing this my 29 year old self was deeply shamed. Other than my weight, I have no health problems to speak of. I realized that I need to follow this woman's example. Never falter. Never quit. Not only did I finish my two miles today, but I also did it without complaint. I learned today to never take my good health for granted again.

Replies

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    What an inspirational story!! Kudo's to that lady (and to you)!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing - what an inspiration :heart:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    We used to have a mall here (torn down now) that a lot of senior citizens would walk in. When my daughter was small I used to take her there and push her in the stroller at a pretty good pace. I would see the same people every day, some walking quickly, others slowly, with canes, without canes. This one day I was walking and feeling pretty tired so I wasn't giving it my all when this little old guy with a walker comes up behind me saying "I'm gonna pass you" I started laughing and walked a little faster and darn it if he didn't pass me.:noway:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, this bought a tear to my eye. I try to remind myself everyday to thank God for everything I have instead of griping about everything I don't have. :flowerforyou:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    We used to have a mall here (torn down now) that a lot of senior citizens would walk in. When my daughter was small I used to take her there and push her in the stroller at a pretty good pace. I would see the same people every day, some walking quickly, others slowly, with canes, without canes. This one day I was walking and feeling pretty tired so I wasn't giving it my all when this little old guy with a walker comes up behind me saying "I'm gonna pass you" I started laughing and walked a little faster and darn it if he didn't pass me.:noway:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We actually have a Mall Walker's club/group at most of our malls here. I worked in mall retail for 7 years, most of them at a coffee shop and they'd all come get their senior discount coffee before the rest of the stores opened. I miss some of those feisty old folks!!! They could out-walk me in a heartbeat!!!
  • DebbieDuffy31
    Options
    Wow thank you for that!!
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    WOW...I need to get my butt outside to walk.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    amen.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I had a similiar experience....

I was walking during my lunch hour one day and a girl in a wheel chair - wheeled herself around the track - lap after lap - it was amazing!
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was once passed in a 5k by a man with two artificial legs... I was both humbled and inspired by him.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    what a great story. I will have to remember this when I am whining about not wanting to exercise. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    On my way to work I often see a one legged cyclist just flying down the road. Apparently the L.A. Times recently did an article on him http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-oneleg7-2009may07,0,4668118,full.story you can read here. He's amazing.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    great story, thanks for sharing. It is so easy to fall into the pitty pot.

Thanks for pulling me out!! (before flushing!!:blushing: )

:bigsmile: Jeannie
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    It brought tears to my eyes.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an inspiration!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    As I am between gyms at the moment, I have been going to the public track to walk. Gyms really spoil you as you have air conditioning etc., so I was really miserable outdoors. I was complaining to myself about the humidity, the sitch in my side and I was just getting ready to leave when a new person stepped on to the track. This woman had to be in her 70's. She was walking with the help of a walker, but she brought her walker on the track and completed lap after lap after lap. Of course she was moving at a much slower pace than everyone else, but she moved steadily never stopping or anything. Observing this my 29 year old self was deeply shamed. Other than my weight, I have no health problems to speak of. I realized that I need to follow this woman's example. Never falter. Never quit. Not only did I finish my two miles today, but I also did it without complaint. I learned today to never take my good health for granted again.

Wowza, that story made me cry! Funny what a little perspective will do to one's mindset!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!