Is this normal?

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
And if not, whats going on??

I get really cold after my work outs. Granted I'm still not working out really hard, but I do get a little sweaty and heat up when I exercise, but when I stop, about 10 min later I get very cold, I always dress warmly as soon as I've cooled off, but the feeling cold can last for ages. I also get shaky, but today I had a recovery drink, and that stopped that really quick, but being so cold after is weird, no? I mean people usually say that can feel warm for hours after.

Thing is I'm brand new, I have been here less than a week and have done 4 "periods" of exercise (circuit training), usually about 20-30min long, I'm still trying to find my feet, But I'm pretty small (101/5'4") so I'm not hear to lose, but looking to gain muscle and get healthy (was a smoking couch potato before this) And I am making sure I'm eating all my calories (with good foods) several times a day.

Should I be concerned...I'm generally a cold person anyway as I don't have much body fat.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I too get cold... when you work out your temperature rises, you get sweaty and then as you are cooling down and the sweat is drying you get cold. I think its totally normal, at least it happens to me too so i hope that its normal LOL or you and i are both weirdo's ;)
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks babs! i was really wondering if I was a weirdo!
  • NickiParris74
    NickiParris74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Would be interesting to hear what anyone else says about this, I too get really cold after my workouts but never shaky
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Would be interesting to hear what anyone else says about this, I too get really cold after my workouts but never shaky

I think I get shaky cause I have always had low blood sugar drops very easily (even though I have always eaten often), and the exercises seem to intensify it, and it is also partly cause I am so freaking weak, that lifting 1kg weights or doing a plank make my arms shake for a while :embarassed: . I wonder if its more common in women...my hubby has never experienced it, he can be hot for hours after, he says.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    OK, it sounds like you've found the cure for your feeling shaky after working out, now on to feeling cold. Are you wearing cotton while working out?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My first thought was are you eating enough? Tried to check your diary but it is not public.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks for responding.

@BrianSharpe -no not cotton, I'm working out indoors in a synthetic sports bra and revolting synthetic shorts :wink:

@mmapags - I made my food diary public...I think I'm eating enough?? But dang, I forgot most of it is in Swedish! But generally you can see I'm meeting my calorie goal, and there is a bit of useless sugars there but the majority is home cooked meals made from raw produce, lots of darker breads, fresh vege, whole milk,butter and cheese, I don't eat light. I cook everything I eat from scratch, and I'm not a vegetarian or anything.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I get cold after a work out too, but it's pretty much just because I'm all sweaty and once my heart rate gets back down to normal, the air conditioner or whatever hits me and I'm freezing! I ran into the grocery store after going running outside the other day and thought I was going to freeze to death since my shirt was still all sweaty and it's so cold in grocery stores lol
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yep I get cold after working out. Cold is my base state of being! Honestly I feel like such a granny when I spend the evenings on the couch wrapped up in a blanket, even in the summer!

I think because I get so hot when I'm moving fast, by comparison once it's over the usual cold feels even worse. I also get low blood pressure and bad circulation runs in the family, I'm sure it's all linked. So yes, I hope you're normal, cos if you're not, then I'm not!
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Bump. Anyone else?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I did this when my protein intake was too low. I ate too many carbs, which burned up quickly with exercise and caused low blood sugar. I now pair my carbs with protein whenever I eat, and eat at a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat ratio. Problem solved.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    it's simple physics. evaporation does cause a big cooling effect..the sweat evaporating is what causes you to feel cold. it's also a sign that you are getting fitter, so feel good!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I get crazy-sweaty when I exercise, so if I don't change into dry clothes, I get chilled to where my teeth start chattering.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    it could just be thermoregulation.

i experienced it when i was intermittent fasting. i would work out fasted and not eat until about noon. i was freezing until my feeding period.

its mostly a cold limbs type of thing though (like my arms/fingers and legs/feet)

are you eating pre work out?
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I get cold after exercise too - I mean, not immediately when I"m sweaty but on the cool down, I end up putting on sweats.

Another possibility is stress. Stress causes your body temperature to lower (I learned this in a stress management class years ago when they monitor your stress by temperature). Exercise is, of course, stress on your system. Not bad stress but stress, just the same. I think that during the actual exercise, your body temperature rises due to the exertion and that afterwards, the body temperature plummets a bit in a stress reaction as the system "absorbs" so to speak, the stress it was just under. It happens to tons of us so I wouldn't think there is anything "abnormal" about it as stress is a perfectly reasonable reaction for our body to have in response to the exercise. Just my thoughts....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Dairy look fine so adequate nutrition is not it. I always get cold if I'm low calories or Intermittent Fasting but other than that I stay warm especially for hours after a workout. sorry I can't be of more hlep. This seems to happen more to ladies based on the number of posts that share your concern. I'm guessing it's one of those mysterious woman thermo-regulation things that I would be clueless about! :laugh: At least according to my wife!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I get very cold afterwards as well. As soon as my workout is done, even though I'm still hot, I put on sweatpants and a regular t-shirt and that seems to help. If I wait until I'm cooling off, I get really chilly.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    I get cold, especially my stomach. Like, it's cold to the touch, not just that I feel cold. I think it's just your body's way to keep you from overheating.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Just want to add that I went down this week by 3lbs. So I have upped my Cal intake to 2000+ so if you view my diary of will look like I was eating way under but I really wasn't. First few days I was set to 1550 which was when i wrote this post. Then I went up to 1660. As of today (Fri 30 March) it's 2140. Just incase anyone wants to tell me I wasn't filling my goals.
    Cheers!