I stop taking my blood pressure medication

Options
LiMer
LiMer Posts: 112 Member
Hydrochlorathizide (?) because the doctor says my BP is stable now... 110/70. I stopped for almost 1 week now and everyday I seem to gain 1 pound. I went from 154 last week to 161 2 days ago. Then yesterday I was 159 and today I'm 158.8.

What is going on here? Am I retaining water? I'm drinking at least 80 oz a day and I'm still using the bathroom? Now I'm afraid to step on the scale. My weigh in was today, but I hate to put down that I gain almost 5 pounds in 1 week, especially if it's water.

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Did it have a diuretic in the medication?
  • LiMer
    Options
    Did it have a diruetic in the medication?

I think so, I've heard that it can be use as a water pill.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    HCTZ is a diuretic. So it's been telling you that you weigh less than you really do, sorry!

Now that you're off the meds, your weight will spike a bit but it will go back down after a few weeks (though may not be as low as what you were while taking HCTZ).

Just ignore the scale and keep doing what you're doing until your water stabilizes. Then go from your new weight.
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    oh! didn't realize someone else had responded :-D
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am taking the very same medication, too. Yes, it IS a diuretic. I was taking two pills a day and was decreased to one now that I have lost so much weight. They're all right. It is discouraging, at first, to see the extra weight on the scale. But, trust me, your body will regulate itself and you will feel better. Just give yourself time. It took us years to need the medication, it will take us a while to get use to NOT needing the medication, too! You should focus on how healthy you have become. Stay focused on that.

:drinker:
  • LiMer
    Options
    Thank you.

I wonder why I couln't just stay on the HCTZ if it's a water pill only? I really helped my shed alot of weight/water weight. I like seeing the scale move.

The doctor said it was to lower my PB and now after being on it for 2 months, I don't need it anymore. Argg.... Hate seeing the scale moving up.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I wonder why I couln't just stay on the HCTZ if it's a water pill only? I really helped my shed alot of weight/water weight. I like seeing the scale move.

It's dangerous to stay on a diuretic when you don't need it. You can pee off plenty of water pounds but it's not going to look anywhere near as good as when you work off the same amount of pounds in fat.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Congrats by the way.

I'd love to get off of the stuff, i'm on it too for high BP. It is annoying because I always have to go to the bathroom!
  • LiMer
    Options
    Ok, so how long before my body is back to normal and how much do I weigh for sure?
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel first hand. That being said, you really need to understand how serious it is to take this medication if your doctor has taken you off of it. Yes, it is a diuretic however, it affects your BP, which is very important. If you continue to take the medication just because of the extra water weight, you might develop other health problems. You'll feel light-headed and weak, your body won't have the strength it will need to workout. So many variables. Just be mindful. A little water weight is better than high blood pressure.
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard but try to focu on the big BIG picture. your health :-D The scale may move 2-6 lbs lets say... but you won't really look any different. I think you should abandon the scale for a while and continue to work out. Or if you must use the scale, try saying to yourself " I have not gained weight, this is water weight. My body is doing exactly what it needs to. And when I am back in equilibrium my weight will be realistic."

You should feel VERY proud that you have done something for your health and lowered your BP! HIGH Bp causes many more problems than looking a tad bit bloated! I am looking forward to not taking mine too. MY BP is hereditary and though I am not much overweight, I have to weigh 130 or less to not need mine. :bigsmile:

Good Luck!
  • LiMer
    Options
    Thank you for the good sound advise. I will abandon my scale for a couple of weeks. Thanks again.
  • StephanieBird79
    StephanieBird79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I came across this post. I just wanted to cry when I stepped on the scale this morning. I only weigh myself once a week. I had gained 9 lbs in one week and I couldn't figure out what was going on since I was still eating decently and working out often. I got taken off of my hydrochlorothiazide last week because my blood pressure was now running low after being on it and lisonopril for 2 years. It is frustrating that I have gained weight, but my ultimately goal is to be healthy and getting off of those bp meds tells me I'm headed in the right direction!
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. In May or June of last year I was finally given the ok to stop my hydrochlorothiazide medication and try to maintain with diet and exercise, while still monitoring my BP. It's not only a water pill; it's a vasodilator, so I was having problems with numbness, tingling in joints, and dizziness. My new doc said I was on too high of a dose (no big surprise to me) and agreed to let me try.

Since I was TERRIFIED of rebound weight gain (yes, I knew it would be temporary water weight) I tapered very slowly over a one month period of time. No water weight. This leads me to believe that the water weight you're experiencing is temporary. I agree with the other posters; you've done something amazing and your body will even out eventually. In the meantime, enjoy your success, because it's fabulous!
  • lovemypooches
    Options
    I am going through the exact same thing. I put on 15 lbs. of rebound edema once I stopped the diuretic and it is now 2 months later and it hasn't come off even though I cut back on salt so much. Can someone tell me how long it took them to lose this water weight. My doc.. is of no help!
    :angry:
  • cking824
    cking824 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    After coming off this water pill, how long did it take to lose the water weight?
  • Jonpower2915
    Jonpower2915 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow .. my reply 11 years too late but … ME TOO. identical situation and I’m also scared to see what the scale is go to say today.

I dropped 35lb operating on -1000kcal deficit daily (achieved thru -1000kcal exercise not bad diet) BP dropped like a stone, camel off of BP meds then decided to say goodbye to diuretic and went from 174.4 to 177,6 in the course of 3 days (still same zero simple card / Starch and exercise diet).

I would have been nice to hear the end result which (I suspect) is that weight gain due to diuretic rebound and it’s just another 2 weeks to remove weight,

I suspect that I’ve gained more than 3.5lb (which seems from the literature to be the low average for a prescribed diuretic) but my psycho exercise and diet was ramped up after the “not quite heart attack” weigh in.

Today I’m down to 176.4 (from 177.0 yesterday) I suspect most of that was going back to my weight in habit of no liquids after 8pm (for a 6:30 weigh in) which bolsters the water rebound suspicion. (-1000kcal should result in a max of .28lb daily weight loss assuming adjusted 3500kcal/lb).

So, this is really for anyone else going nuts trying to understand weight gain after stopping prescribed diuretics (for. NIH literature PRESCRIBED diuretic weight loss was 3.5 to 6.7 lb ..,so rebound should be in the same ball park.

Knowing and researching all of this has not made me feel any more confident or happy.

If I’m not 176.1 or less tomorrow I’ll be angry which will increase BP and the entire cycle will start again.

I am tempted to take the diuretics again to see a massive water loss weight (my goal is 165) but what’s the point …

• catgb56
    catgb56 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread. Dr just took me off of the diuretic and cut my bp pill in half. I noticed this morning the scale went up a couple of lbs. Got worried. Dr told me to keep to a low salt diet, drink plenty of water, stay hydrated and WORK OUT!!! EXERCISE! He wants to see a few lbs shed on my next visit in four months. I am exercising, walking and drinking plenty of water. Thrilled to be off of one pill and have the bp cut in half...I'm doing something right! Now to not have this little set back of weight gain due to no water pill upset me. Hopefully this will even out in a few weeks and weight will start to drop. And absolutely right - the scale should not dictate. Eat healthy, work out, your clothes will fit better, you will feel better!!