No goals + No deadlines = weight loss success?

Options
2»

Replies

• sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    After my 2nd child, I decided to set goals, but they're fitness goals. It went from a first 5km race, to trying to beat my last time of my last 1/2 marathon. I reap the health benefits, the satisfaction I feel is like nothing else in the world, and the weight loss is the icing on the cake :)
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. I think having no specific deadline (or event that you're working toward) helps keep this a true lifestyle change and not just a diet.

My own story is similar; I am currently at a weight and body fat percentage that is not healthy for my height. I do have a rough goal weight, but it's based on the notion that I'd like to maintain my lean body mass and lose FAT, until my body fat percent is healthy. I'll probably lose some lean mass along the way, though, so it's a fluid goal. And if I keep eating healthier (and fewer calories), I'll lose the weight. If I keep my protein intake up and make my muscles work, I'll maintain most of my lean mass (I hope!). And if I exercise more, I'll have more strength and energy, less stress, and I'll extend my life. And since there is no date by which these things "must" happen, once I get where I'm going, I'll be in a pretty good spot to keep on truckin' in maintenance.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I was just talking to one of my co-workers (she's a doctor), who has recently lost about 20 pounds. She wanted to know where I got my water bottle from, lol. Her son has recently commented that she's lost her booty :-)

Anyway, she asked my if I was on a diet/what was I doing to lose weight (first person to comment/notice) and so I toler her I was going what all those annoying doctors recommend--a healthy diet and exercise. She laughed and told me I needed to talk to a lot of her pts.

I told her this can't be a diet with and end date as I've done that and it doesn't work. I will gain the weight back every single time doing that. I do still need to remind myself of that, and remember that the reason I'm back at the beginning is because I quit.

It does make a difference :-)
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I am on board with the way you are thinking. I've lost 21 lbs since Feb.1st, and as long as the scale is going down and I am feeling

great, I'll get there when I get there. I wish I would have adopted this frame of mind one of those many times I lost this much and

that much, then quit because I thought it was too slow.
  • Dawnetta
    Dawnetta Posts: 7
    Options
    I do have a goal of 5 lb per month set by my doc, I have just started MFP like 3 days ago and I love it. I have never done the calorie counting always something else. I feel so motivated to lose this is awesome. It feels very relaxed and I am not frustrated at all...normal food and just track it. I have lost 3 lbs. in 3 days and I am sooooo excited !!!!! No goals really no hurry just getting healthier and losing !!!!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Oooohh! I like this philosophy! I think I'm going to try this out. I have spent too much time in the past, mapping out my 'expected' weight loss and then being disappointed when I don't make it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    For me this was a lifestyle change. While I had a rough idea of where I wanted to be my only real goal was "fit back into my work wardrobe." I was at the point where I only had three pairs of slacks that fit and they were starting to get too tight, too.

I feel like most of you in that goals are de-motivating when you don't reach them. I try not to set goals when I don't have complete control over the outcome. Weight loss is not something that happens on a linear curve so it's just too easy to get frustrated and upset when it's not going the way you think it should. It's probably a good thing I didn't have any set goals because I spent three months on a dead plateau. :laugh: Once I finally figured out my personal formula for losing weight, I lost the rest in a few months and have been maintaining ever since.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    But you did set a goal - to be consistent with your workouts and log everyday. You've simply changed your goal to be about your behavior, not an outcome you don't have complete control over (too many variables). Keep at it and you will be successful at your weight loss because you've been able to measure your successes at your stated goals all the way through.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I know I want to lose 90 pounds total, but I won't give myself a time limit/deadline. I started on July 25, 2011, and I'm over a 3rd of the way there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!