Options
So here are my stats:
43 year old female
Current weight 225
Goal weight 160
BMR according to Fat2Fit (Katch McArdle) 1715
TDEE using “Light” exercise = 2388
TDEE using “moderate” exercise = 2692
Using the TDEEs above multiplied by .8 leaves me eating between 1910 -2153 Cal/daily
I have been eating 1800 cal daily. Not really losing weight. If I up them to between 1910 and 2153 does anyone think that there will be a greater loss? Really 1800 isn’t really that much lower than the higher numbers. I started in December eating 1200 (as MFP suggested). I raised calories first to 1500 (not really losing much) and then 1800. What the heck!! I know that before trying to lose weight I was not eating enough calories but then bingeing. I realize my metabolism might be messed up. Please someone give some advice. Thanks!

Replies

• TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    Nancy

Your stats are close to mine. I am eating 1500 calories right now. I tried 1200 and did not lose even 1 lb in a week. I had a personal trainer nutritionist write me a diet years back and I reviewed it today. He had me between 1300 and 1500 calories. Some days were different. Protein was first and watching my carbs ( no more than 90 grams a day) was second.

I am basically starting over. I have been on MFP for almost two weeks. Feel free to add me if you like. I'm happy to share anything I know or can find out :)

Tina
  • alofay
    alofay Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing throughout the week?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting?
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I only recently started working out. I am doing the C25K program. I just finished week 2. I started "dieting" in November. I realize that 18 pounds is 18 pounds lost but I have only lost less than 10 pounds in the last 3 months. :(
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to find my right calorie intake as well! If I go up to 1500, I will gain or not lose at all. But I get stuck quickly if I do 1200. It's frustrating and I'm trying to learn this TDEE stuff too!!
  • jvrt559
    jvrt559 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Nancy, Here is a calculation to help you with calorie intake. 655+979+4.7 X Height - 202 X 1.55 for moderate excercise then subtract 500 from total subtracting 500 is the amount of calories to help you lose weight. The number you end up with you divide by 5 this number will give you your total calories to eat at each meal. You will eat 5x per day 7 days a week. I hope this helps. add me to your friends list for support or for any questions you may have. Good luck in your program. :) Joe
  • wannaberunner33
    Options
    Anyone, anyone? Any thoughts as to if I should up my calories to between 1900 and 2100 or just stick it out at 1800??? I really appreciate your help.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think you should continue at what you have been doing. Ten pounds in three months is not terrible. That's how much I have lost also in the last three months. I know it will be a long hard road and I am in no hurry. I say do what works. And whatever you are doing is obviously working. Good job on your eighteen pounds!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I recently raised mine to 2100, and I usually end up netting about 1900 or 2000.

If you are working out at all, you need the extra calories.

Good job not going below your BMR... but, try a few more calories for a few weeks. :)
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dont rush it...I did read that if you really want to lose weight you shoul workout 1 hour 5-7 days a week...For awhile I wasnt losing anything...So I started the 1 hour thing when I workout as often as I can and I have been blessed with dropping pounds. I eat between 1500 to 1700 calories a day...I hope this helps you can add me as a friend but I do like friends who support me as I do them.
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you should stick with the workout program for a few months and keep your calories the same. I think the increased exercise will probably shake your system up enough to drop some more weight. I also think you should eat some/all of your exercise calories so your "Net" calories stay the same. Good luck, whatever you do!
  • chric1
    chric1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, Nancy. I was 210 lbs, and was able to lose by adding medium to intense cardio for 30 minutes 5+ days every week. Without the exercise, my lower calorie intake didn't make a difference. I lost, have kept it off for 4 years, and am still successful as long as I exercise. I'm 42 - I know what you're battling. You can do this - you obviously have a great attitude!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Anyone, anyone? Any thoughts as to if I should up my calories to between 1900 and 2100 or just stick it out at 1800??? I really appreciate your help.

You said you started "dieting" in November. When did you start eating 1800/day? When you eat below your BMR for a while, and then start eating at or above your BMR, your body needs time to adjust and rev up the good ol' metabolism.

I say stick with the 1800. Be consistent for a full month. Get your cardio and do some strength training too. See what happens in that month and then re-evaluate. You've had some great progress and I think it's awesome that you're doing it a healthy way now instead of starving (not that you did before, just saying that it's good you're not doing that).

Keep it up, you'll go far! :flowerforyou:
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've been changing my calorie goals as well, trying to find what works best for me. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • wannaberunner33
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's great to be in such an encouraging place. Hopefully it won't be too long till I'm sharing my progress :happy:
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy, I live right near you on LI, welcome :)
    this site is great for tips and motivation. I am also 43 (will be 44 next week). The thing that works best for me is eating fresh foods, not processed (I guess it mainly limits my sodium), lots of protein (greek yogurt, chicken, turkey are favorites and I try for 100g+/day), less carbs/starches, lots of fruit, veggies, water based foods (seem to flush out my system) and lots of water. I also try to get in at least 30 mins of cardio a day (right now I'm up to 45 mins). My ticker doesn't show my prior loss 3 years ago--that was 90 lbs, gained back 35.5 in "happy relationship mode" and now I'm back on track because my wedding is in August so I got myself in gear. I can't see your diary so I don't know for sure what you're eating. Feel free to add me, fellow LI'er!