What do squats do, exactly?

Options
Well, what I really want to know is:

Do squats help out your butt?
I like my butt, it is a nice shape and size, and I don't want it to get smaller, I just want to firm it up a bit. Will doing squats help shape my booty? What else are they good for? I know they are good for thighs, too, right?
I LOVE doing squats! They get hard, but they are simple enough to do.

Replies

• MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Yep, squats are great for your glutes and quads (thighs and butt). They are great for firming and strengthening. In addition to squats, you should consider lunges, as they are also great for the glutes and quads. Donkey kicks are great for glutes and hamstrings, and if you do the peeing dog (also called the fire hydrant, I think...) that will work the area we refer to as "saddlebags."

Great leg and bum shaping exercises!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I do know that they will definately help to tighten and firm up your butt!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Squats work your glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves all at once.

When I am working my legs, I do open and closed leg squats with weights.

Closed leg: hold a dumbbell in each hand (I hold a 15lb in each), keep legs closed, and slowly "sit" back, weight on your heels and as if you are sitting in a chair. Then raise up to a standing position. Make note that you want to raise up using (engaging) your glutes. You should be tightening your tush!

Open leg: hold a dumbbell with both hands (I hold a 25lb), keep legs open, holding the dumbbell in between the legs and slowly "sit" back, weight on your heels and as if you are sitting in a chair. Then raise up to a standing position. Make note that you want to raise up using (engaging) your glutes. You should be tightening your tush!

Best of luck!

Ileana
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    They hurt in the morning!! Ha:laugh: :laugh:

I've just been to Legs Bums and Tums... Squats and lunges were intense today!!
  • dantell13
    dantell13 Posts: 71
    Options
    Its also one of the most important exercises to do as you get older because of the benefits to your hip and hip joints. Squats are also great for the core of your body. 4 sets each of Lunges, wide stance squats and close stance with about 20 reps per set will do the trick.
    David
  • xoxopeaceandlove
    Options
    thanks y'all! =)