It's been a long haul!

Options
My current success story does not involve my weight; it involves my health.
I have an autoimmune deficiency called Hashimoto's disease. Hashimoto's typically affects only the thyroid and causes goiters, (swelling of the thyroid) nodules, (lumps) and hypothyroidism, (under active thyroid.) However, there is a symptom that is not as common, and therefore remains commonly undiagnosed. This affects the body's Ferritin stores. Ferritin is a protein that allows the iron in your body to do its job. The test for Ferritin levels are different from the test for anemia. Every time I was checked for anemia the tests came back normal. For the past 6 years, I have been suffering from extreme fatigue. In the last 8 months it became unbearable. I could not take a shower without sitting down in the bathtub between shampoo and conditioner. I was so tired that I was teary-eyed all of the time. I had joint pains so severe that I could not function on a normal daily basis. This finally resulted in taking a Leave of Absence from my job and eventually resigning from it.
I moved to the Omaha area in March and my new General Practitioner actually sat and listened to my plight with an open mind and none of that presumed, "It's because of your weight." attitude. Afterward, she told me that she wanted to do a simple test to check my iron stores. Of course, I said okay, but I thought I was about to go down another rabbit trail. Come to find out, this $90.00 blood test saved my life. My ferritin levels were so low that I was about to have to be treated via the hospital. Instead I began a high dose regimen of ferrous sulfate (650mg, 3x's a day) in hopes of avoiding hospitalization. That was on March 31st. It is now May 26th and my ferritin levels have gone from a 9 to a 25. The typical average is between 70 and 90.
I feel WONDERFUL! I can bounce up the stairs! I go outside because I WANT TO. I am smiling without thinking about it again. My joints don't hurt. I am losing weight. I could go on forever!!!
If my doctor had not explained that Hashimoto's is NOT a thyroid disease, it is a disease that affects the thyroid and chosen to check for the other symptoms of Hashimoto's, I don't know where I would be right now.
She's also the same doctor that referred me to MFP. She's actually not a doctor; she's a physician's assistant. Ain't that a hoot? Thank you God for Becky Ellsworth!!!!

Replies

• jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    That is so awesome! So glad your numbers are going up!!
  • meihanson
    meihanson Posts: 5
    Options
    Panga,
    That is awesome! I too am diagnosed with HAshimoto's Thyroiditis, and i'm always tired. No one ever told me it is a disease that affects the thyroid! I thought it was a thyroid disease! How do I get my docotor to test my levels as yours did? I'm thinking I may be anemic also as I almost had to have a blood transfusion with my c=section due to sever blood loss which took weeks to rebuild, with the aid of iron pills. I'm 33, back in school again and have a 2 year old son...i need all the energy I can get.
    Congratulations on your new found energy and freedom!
    ~Meighan
    Florida
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Ahhh... can I ever relate. My Ferritin level was a 3 the last time I had some bloodwork done. I got a copy in the mail, along with a note from the doctor that basically said to continue doing what I had been doing..... the same note I had gotten 6 months earlier :noway: Needless to say, I switched doctors a couple months ago and took a copy of my bloodwork with me to my first appt - the new P.A. immediately upped my iron considerably, along with some "C" and I'm due to have my bloodwork re-done in a week. I'm feeling tons better!
  • Pangus
    Pangus Posts: 24
    Options
    Kelligirl,
    Just ask him or her to test your ferritin levels, aka, your "iron stores," when you go in. I promise, you will not regret it!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    that is great. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!