is it ok if you don't exercise

Options
is it ok if you don't exercise given you don't overeat your calories? I find it really hard to eat back my calories from exercising, and I'm perfectly fine eating up to my calories level without needing exercise to let me eat more

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 35 pounds without exercising. I am doing some now as I am finding the last 10 pounds harder to shed.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    You could, but you probably wouldn't be happy with how you look. You exercise not only to lose weight but to get/look fit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Statistically you'll just live a shorter life without exercise.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Sure you can.
    You'll probably have better results for exercising, though.
  • 5050jnernst
    Options
    One needs exercise for the heart and overall health even if you do not overeat! It has been shown in various research that exercise helps reduce risks of many types of cancer also. Even if you are healthy now and young and not overweight, not exercising will eventually catch up with you in some form of health problem even if you do not get overweight!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "ok"?

You'll certainly look and feel better if you exercise.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Diet is the primary factor is losing weight. Exercise and diet are the primary factors for being healthy. Yes, you can eat 1000 cals day and look skinny but be in terrible shape and be prone to hypertension, cardiovascular disease, osteoperosis, diabetes etc etc. Or you can exercise and live a longer, healthier life. Which one of those is "ok" is really a value judgement you have to make for yourself.
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    You CAN lose weight without working out, but you won't be toned. I would suggest working out, even if you start slow. I am really kind of angry at myself for not starting some kind of strength training sooner. That is just my personal opinion. There are people who are my height and weight that are much smaller and more fit because they work out, I would rather be like them then lazy sitting on the couch just eating less.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Of course it is but exercise helps your body in so many different ways that to omit it all together is somewhat defeatist attitude in the long run. Good eating is the first step but you need to take the next step as well. Moreover, you may drop the weight now but good wishes trying to keep it off or maintain once you up your calorie intake.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    is it ok if you don't exercise given you don't overeat your calories? I find it really hard to eat back my calories from exercising, and I'm perfectly fine eating up to my calories level without needing exercise to let me eat more

Exercise is for health, fitness and a general sense of well being. Eating more is a by product so to speak. You can still exercise and not eat more.
  • eelane
    eelane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you can if you want. weight loss is 90% diet (according to a fitness podcast I listen to)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? Probably.

But for overall health, exercise is quite possibly the single best thing you can do to improve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day to be healthy, so no, it is not okay if you don't exercise.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Diet is the primary factor is losing weight. Exercise and diet are the primary factors for being healthy. Yes, you can eat 1000 cals day and look skinny but be in terrible shape and be prone to hypertension, cardiovascular disease, osteoperosis, diabetes etc etc. Or you can exercise and live a longer, healthier life. Which one of those is "ok" is really a value judgement you have to make for yourself.
    QFT! :smile:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    As above, the biggest reason for exercise is not so we can eat more....it is to get fit and toned, cardiovascularly and physically, emotionally, mentally. Exercise does SO much for us. You can lose weight without exercising but you won't maintain it. Also, you won't get all the health benefits that moving and being physical active does for your circulation, your muscles, your bones, etc. You will miss out on a LOT by not exercising. Exercise can manage anxiety and depression. It can keep our brains sharper and more focused. It slows down the aging process. It builds our bones stronger so we won't suffer from osteoporosis (brittle bones) when we are older. It makes is happier and more content. Come on, just DO IT!
  • JohnCOConnor
    Options
    Short answer: No. Long answer: No.

No, No, No.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? Probably.

But for overall health, exercise is quite possibly the single best thing you can do to improve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

and THIS! No, it is not okay not to exercise
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50lbs without exercise..I started to get extra skin..now that I have been working out daily the weight is melting off of me and I like the way my body is looking & the skin has gone back:bigsmile: so yes you should exercise do you have to..well no you dont have to but I promise you will like the results a whole lot more if you do!:wink:
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 35 pounds without exercising. I am doing some now as I am finding the last 10 pounds harder to shed.

Even if you exercise like a maniac, the last 10 pounds is hard to lose... just be patient, that's what works (this coming from someone who is learning this the hard way!!).

Oh and to answer your question, no, I do not think it's ok not to exercise. Even just a leisurely walk... something to get you to move. My 95 year old grandmother does yoga, walks, rides a stationary bicycle... she is my inspiration when I feel weak or tired or just plain lazy.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz said that neglecting excersize causes cellulite, breast droop, extended menstrual cycles, pimples, pink eye, diarrhea, and bad breathe.