Chicken breast weight?

Options
It says 3oz cooked would equal to 4oz raw, so if I have a piece that is cooked, and it is 1oz, do I account that as 1oz or 2oz?

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Split the difference, go with 1.5oz. The difference is minimal though, so either one will be okay for now.

Anyways, I always logged mine at its raw weight. Are you able to weigh it raw?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why not just use the cooked database entry: "Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" and log it as 1 oz.

But assuming the conversion you posted above is correct (which I'm not saying it is), it would work out to 1.33 oz raw.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1 ounce of chicken?

taso is correct though, just find a database entry that says "cooked"
  • emily115
    emily115 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, and I know it is 4oz raw/3oz cooked because that is what it said on the nutrition label.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Be careful about trusting the database. Some of the cooked info is clearly for raw weights, like most of the hamburger ones...
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so should we be logging chicken breast raw or cooked? i have never known a answer to this and i have logged from the data base from cooked. I now have a food scale and can weigh it before but what is the correct way to log it ... cooked or raw and why?
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered- on bagged frozen chicken- the 4 oz "serving" size, do they mean frozen, thawed, or cooked? They never specify, and frozen or cooked never comes out to 4 oz. :\ Haven't actually stopped to weigh it once it thaws, so maybe I already know the answer.... heh.
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you weigh raw, log raw. If you weigh cooked, log cooked.

The actual calories don't change during the cooking process (Unless you deep fry it or something), just some water evaporates.