Anyone a little over 300 lbs?

Options
I was wondering how the weight loss journey is going? I have about 150 lbs to lose and I'm trying to find the right calories to consume in a day. I was doing great, 13 lbs in about 12 days, but then nothing. I do exercise almost every day on weights and elliptical and treadmill, but I'm really trying to find my set calorie intake that will optimize my weight loss. Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well I started at 301lbs but I'm now at 231lbs.

13lbs in 12 days in GREAT. You will have a week or two when your body adjusts but it shouldn't be too long.

For calories at that weight I ate what MFP and Jenny Craig told me to eat, which was 1800 calories. I switched to 1600 calories later down the track. I did go down to 1490 but turned into a grumpy cow so am back at 1600 and still losing very steadily. I have no intentions of going any lower than this.

If you want advice, best thing you can do is open your diary.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I started out at a little over 300lbs. I didn't exercise in the beginning and was eating around 1650 calories.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    We are right around the same boat...I have been on a plateau...but I have been eating far less than 1600 calories, maybe I should up mine.
    Well I started at 301lbs but I'm now at 231lbs.

13lbs in 12 days in GREAT. You will have a week or two when your body adjusts but it shouldn't be too long.

For calories at that weight I ate what MFP and Jenny Craig told me to eat, which was 1800 calories. I switched to 1600 calories later down the track. I did go down to 1490 but turned into a grumpy cow so am back at 1600 and still losing very steadily. I have no intentions of going any lower than this.

If you want advice, best thing you can do is open your diary.
  • sirenap123
    Options
    I am still a couple pounds over 300. I've lost about 19 pounds on the suggested calories for 1 1/2 pounds/week loss. (about 1980 then down to about 1850)
    It is coming off VERY slowly right now, so I am trying to focus more on exercise, general health, and inches. Have you taken your measurements yet? I noticed that even though the scale wasn't moving I could See some differences.
    Good luck to you on your weight loss and health journey =)
  • fauxliage
    Options
    Lozze is right - 13 lbs in 12 days is fantastic! The body just might need time to adjust.

The scale won't always reflect exactly what is going on with what you are doing. It would be so much easier if it did. Sometimes you will do everything right and the scale won't move, or might even throw up a small gain, other weeks you might think you had a bad week and you had an inexplicable loss anyway. Using as many forms of measurement as possible is a good way to keep track of progress even when the scale isn't cooperating - progress photos, measurements, etc.

I saw this linked on another forum today and, while a somewhat lengthy read, it had a lot of thoughtful advice:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started at 340 and I have a 1500 calorie limit. I don't eat my exercise calories back. So far no plateau, I know its coming.
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    I'm a little over 300 and I'm trying to find my goal too. Mine is set at 1800 but I don't know if that is too high or low.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I started at 300, down to 213 with a goal of somewhere around 160. Currently eating 1800-2200 calories per day and while I do exercise, I'm not a cardiobunny.

Congrats on the loss! It can be tempting to try to see those 'starting' losses week after week, but seriously - take it slow. You don't have to starve and it doesn't have to hurt. Follow MFPs recommendations, eat good food, focus on being a healthier person and the 'extra' you're carrying will find the door. :flowerforyou:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I was over 300 when I stared last year in June. Just stick to it. I'm hoping to be in top zombie killing condition by the time the zombie apocalypse comes around. I don't want to be first to get taken out.