Benefits of a varied workout routine

Options
Hi all!

As I posted in here a while ago, I usually work out for 60 minutes per day on the elliptical (level 16). Normally I don't do anything else at the gym, just walk in, get on the elliptical, and leave after. What do you all think about my basic workout vs. a varied workout? I'm aiming to maximize my calorie burn in 1 hr (I burn about 712/hour now) because I'm VERY busy and don't have time to do lots of time at the gym.

Thanks!!
:)

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Generally, you should switch up your routine in some way every 2 weeks. Your body eventually adjusts to the exercise, and while you will still get benefits, they will not be as good as before. You don't have to completely abandon the elliptical, but maybe add in a different type of cardio and/or some strength training.
  • kltk1
    kltk1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might wanna ask your gym if they have a Crossfit program going on there. It's short, intense, exercises but will give you a great, constantly changing, challenging, routine and will leave some time for your cardio. My crossfit routines are usually 15-30 minutes plus a warmup leaving about 15-20 minutes for some cardio afterwards.