stress related depression~what can b done?

Options
I'm new to the site....my last resort to loose weight....i've put on 50 lbs since i've moved here from NYC and with adj. To country again n new job has been so hard. Two hr drive each way to wk. Leave at 6am n return at 7pm not easy. When do u workout n eat dinner. Any suggestions or motivations. I got to my goal weight in NYC first time since highschool.. That was 6yrs ago. Frustrating!

Replies

• itecson
    itecson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    easy answer: exercise. Finding the time can be hard for people with busy lives, but it's a commitment I'm sure you can make and do well with! Think positive!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Thinking positive, loving yourself and exercise. Best stress relievers going!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. do you get a lunch break, or mid morning/mid afternoon breaks? Maybe fit in a walk or something then? Man, that kind of commute does make things difficult. What kind of work do you do? A friend of mine makes her supper the night before, then exercises as it heats up. Maybe pack a supper if possible.. eat before you leave work and then exercise when you get home? Do hope there are some other ideas out there for you. I need to work at things slowly. Try not to think about the 50.. work on 5 at a time.. you'll get there. You've made a big adjustment and as you adjust you'll find a few minutes here and a few minutes there. Hugs!
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Excercise really will help, both in the short and long term... it will help you manage your stress, it will flood you with endorphins that will counteract the cortisol hormones... staRt with 10 minutes and increase from there.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression and a busy lifestyle as well. I am a college student and I also work and live on my own. Losing weight and exercising regularly has helped me manage my depression without taking any medication. If you would like an active friend on MFP feel free to add me. I am on here all the time.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Excercise really will help, both in the short and long term... it will help you manage your stress, it will flood you with endorphins that will counteract the cortisol hormones... staRt with 10 minutes and increase from there.

I love your ticker pic! Too cute!!
  • ickarusx
    ickarusx Posts: 8
    Options
    Exercise is the best you can do if no you can try Bach or California flowers.
  • blackswan54
    Options
    Hi... sometimes depression cant be treated with exercise alone. I would reccommend seeing your doctor about wellbutrin. its a medication that acts as a dopamine enhancer. its not dopamine though. Your brain produces dopamine and seratonin naturally. most depressed overweight people have a lack of the proper amount of dopamine. Wellbutrin is a medication thats acts as dopamine would, helping to connect the synapses faster, thus giving you the energy you need. It also works as a appetite suppressant. that doesnt mean it will make you stop eating though.

Hope this helps.

As for those who are against drug use, please respect that the medical field has made great advances in helping people. Not everyone can just beat depression on their own.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If its stress related, as your post states, but not defined....you need to adjust something in your every day routine to relieve it. Drugs are needed. You need to actively realize what the root of cause is and choose to change it. Once you choose, you MUST act upon that choice. As with anything in life, if you sit back, you become complacent and the world around crumbles until attention needed is given.
  • SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    Moving away from New York can be brutal. There is just so much walking. Please know that you are not alone, a lot of people gain when they move out of the city.
  • LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    have a very busy lifestyle and job myself - its often hard to find energy/time for excercise - especially if you have a depression

if you want more friends for support pls feel free to add me

maybe this helps a bit with your start:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5724813_use-depression-foods-against-depression.html
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds like too much on top of your busy schedule, but exercise alone has been shown to be as effective a medication for depression. See it as part of your solution rather than fitting it in as part of the problem and try and get 30 mins a day. Awalk at lunch or a dvd at home, something you can fit into your routine. Be kind to yourself, harsh criticism comes with depression but it maintains the problem so try and challenge critical thinking. If you would like acces to some free online resources to help with this please say so on this thread and I will post a link. Ask your doctor if they can recommend any medication that may help if things don't imrove soon. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • itecson
    itecson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    might want to try some St. John's Wort too! that helps :) and vitamin B's - both mood enhancing vitamins
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well the first thing you have done is asked!!!! Congrats that takes courage! You didnt put 50lbs on over night as you know it took a long 6yrs. It takes 21 days to create a change in a lifestyle, since you have little time lets go for the high protein low carbs and add some brisk walking even if it is back and forth in the house, sounds silly but a start is a start. Take 2 tbs of Apple Cider Vinegar before bed which will help with metabolism and ph levels. I just had a great thought get a stability ball a big one, and sit in front of the tv and bounce on the sucker for 30min straight... You say that sounds easy and it is but will do 2 things Cardio and Leg Training..... How about adding hand weights..... Just some thoughts and smile.....
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thinking positive, loving yourself and exercise. Best stress relievers going!

:smile:
  • crivera12398
    Options
    Omg! What motivation. I really needed this. Thank you everyone. My first week on mfp and im trying to stick to it. Jogged 30 mins five times this wk after work. Ur right after work working out I feel better after. I sleep better. I have sleep apnea n its doc. Recommended. I get drained aftet wk at times of stress n have a hard time exc. N feel I need to eat to feel better. I've come to hate myself..
  • crivera12398
    Options
    How late should I eat before going to bed? thank you again. Im getting older n its harder I noticed to loose weight.
  • Sunlight2011
    Sunlight2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate and its difficult to stay focussed at times but think about all of the other stuff you've overcome in your life and draw strength from that. It can be done. The only thing that can stop you is you. Stay positive and it will happen.x
  • jessicahollifield
    Options
    Keep in mind that when you do eat, eat foods that are lean like chicken and fish. For snacking stick to raw veggies and nuts and fresh fruit. When you get a chance to eat dinner, keep it light if its late in the day. Drink LOTS of water and you can exercise while your at work. You can do chair workoutsstand more than sit, and take the stairs instead of the elevater if thats how your job is set up. On your breaks take a short walk. Many ways to just move. Good Luck!:happy:
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd start by taking some St Johns Wort. That will help take the edge off of your depression. Then fit in just 20 minutes of exercise a day. Try something high intensity like kickboxing.