HELP!!!

Options
So I've been exercising a minimum of 30 minutes hardcore cardio a minimum of 5 days a week along with strength training 5 days a week for almost a month and sticking to a 1,200 calorie diet. I switched to gluten free this week and have been super hungry compared to prior. I do not feel like I am making the progress that I should be. I do not log my weight training as it doesn't change my MFP data anyway but I alternate core and arms with legs. Does anyone have any suggestions to help shed some of these stubborn remaining 30lbs. I continually have improved my diet over the past year and have seen little to no results. The weight training has seemed to firm up the size that i have and reduce cellulite but I do not have any size reduction! My diary is public feel free to offer any suggestions that you may have!

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    One other problem could be that you're not eating enough. It is a had concept to accept --that eating more will make you lose more, but there's this number called your BMR -- Basal Metabolic Rate -- and it's how many calories your body burns when you just sit and breathe -- so you should be eating AT LEAST this amount.

The other number people often reference is your TDEE -- Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- which is essentially how many calories you can eat if you wanted to maintain your current weight.

When setting your calorie goal, they say to set your intake to be a deficit of 250-500 calories, for a pound to a pound and a half of weight loss each week. You should take this deficit from your TDEE -- and it should be higher than your BMR.

My advice would be to gradually adjust your calorie intake (maybe 30-50 calories at a time) to let your body adjust. You may initially see a gain, but it will even out eventually.

You can actually eat more than you think -- my BMR is 1580, so my limit is 1650 a day. I explain it more in a blogpost I wrote: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-weight-loss-technique.html
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    Thanks Sgoldman. I will read your blog after I go to the gym today and figure out all of my stats. I only honestly decreased my caloric intake from 1500 to 1200 per physician recommendation. :( (side note I've since left that Dr. and have yet to figure out what is causing my hormones and endocrine system to be out of whack)
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    One other problem could be that you're not eating enough. It is a had concept to accept --that eating more will make you lose more, but there's this number called your BMR -- Basal Metabolic Rate -- and it's how many calories your body burns when you just sit and breathe -- so you should be eating AT LEAST this amount.

The other number people often reference is your TDEE -- Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- which is essentially how many calories you can eat if you wanted to maintain your current weight.

When setting your calorie goal, they say to set your intake to be a deficit of 250-500 calories, for a pound to a pound and a half of weight loss each week. You should take this deficit from your TDEE -- and it should be higher than your BMR.

My advice would be to gradually adjust your calorie intake (maybe 30-50 calories at a time) to let your body adjust. You may initially see a gain, but it will even out eventually.

You can actually eat more than you think -- my BMR is 1580, so my limit is 1650 a day. I explain it more in a blogpost I wrote: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-weight-loss-technique.html

My estimated BMR is: 1,594 calories/day how do I figure out my TDEE (do you outline that in your blog?)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Go here: www.fat2fit.com/tools. They have great calculators on there that will help you figure out how much you should be eating. There's also a bunch of threads on here about BMR and TDEE that will very helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539980-people-who-have-had-success-by-upping-their-calories
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    TDEE -

If you are sedentary times BMR by 1.2

If you are lightly active times BMR by 1.375

If you are moderately active times BMR by 1.55

If you are very active times BMR by 1.725

If you are extra active times BMR by 1.9

The total will then be the amount of calories you should eat in a day. If you are wanting to lose half a pound a week, eat 250 calories less per day than the total :smile:

Hope this helps :smile: