Inspired by this today

Options
kvswitzer.jpg

In 1967, Kathrine Switzer was the first woman to run the Boston marathon. After realizing that a woman was running, race organizer Jock Semple went after Switzer shouting, “Get the hell out of my race and give me those numbers.” However, Switzer’s boyfriend and other male runners provided a protective shield during the entire marathon.The photographs taken of the incident made world headlines, and Kathrine later won the 1974 NYC marathon (women's division) with a time of 3:07:29.

Replies

• iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Awesome photo...thx for sharing!
  • MummyDB
    MummyDB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hard to imagine that happening in 67!! Agree. Thanks for sharing.
  • DanTheRunningMan
    Options
    Damn. I'd have thought such a thing unlikely in 1967. Thanks for sharing that.

My skepticism of information found on the internet is well-founded, so I tend to cross check things compulsively. That led me to this site, which I also found enjoyable and informative:

http://www.kathrineswitzer.com/
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. My husband runs marathons and every year there are tons of women who run, all shapes and sizes. My daughter inlaw ran Grandma's marathon with him twice. It is an inspirational story. Are you a runner and do you plan to run a marathon?