"Cheat Days"

Options
13»

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My cheat day consists of basically eating whatever I want and not logging it. I try to be somewhat mindful and not go crazy. I do it more for psychological reasons than practical. i may try to phase it out at some point, but right now it makes the other six days easier to stick to.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I think for people who are comfortable with their routine without really fussing over meals/workouts, cheat days are fine. Me, I may have my meals planned every day and drink a good amount of water, but I'm very obsessive about what goes in my mouth, the portion, and the calorie intake. I couldn't handle a day where calories didn't matter or portions didn't matter or whatever because I like having the order I do. Then again I have nervous problems and OCD.

I do, however, have a "cheat" meal once or twice a week, usually just after I get weighed for the week or when I know I'll exercise enough to make up for it. Usually Chinese food, but now and again I have a burger and some fries. I feel a little bad and I end up tasting the salt for hours after but it's a break and I still control how much I eat.
  • KDM417
    KDM417 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days and they seem to be doing ok for me. What I do is I plan ahead. If I know we are going say camping and i'm going to be eating burgers and hotdogs and s'mores then I work out a little harder and a little more that week. Kinda like the WW plan(which I tried and found MFP is better and free) I never deprive myself I eat when I'm hungry and if I have a craving then I eat what I'm craving because if I don't eventually I will give in and eat much more or eat a bunch of other stuff to try to avoid the craving. Plus for most things there are healthy options and substitutions so you feel like you are cheating but you are not. I found a lot of help on Pinterest so many healthy options for some my old favorites. It's like cheating but not. This is what I do but for everyone it's different just find what works and feel good about your choices. You've already made the best choice to get healthy CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • Quinn827
    Quinn827 Posts: 9
    Options
    In the past I found my most successful weight loss regime did include a cheat day. HOWEVER, I did not add this cheat day until I was about 25-30 lbs into my 40 pound weight loss goal. I also found that even when I said it was a cheat day that I planned ahead for it and I really could not just go totally crazy. If I planned for them I did not beat myself up, whereas if I just fell of f the wagon I would FREAK out and get thrown off. For me the cheat day helped keep my binges under control, they also helped shock my body and I lost weight even better after incorporating them.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think scheduling in "cheat days" are a way to not really change your lifestyle. And if you aren't making a real change to your life, you aren't going to keep the weight off. I don't agree with building them into your weight loss plan. I think it's a set up to fail.

That said, I think it's normal to occasionally NOT eat "perfect" if you have changed your life. I ate a cupcake earlier today because I baked them (no frosting, and I knew I'd be WAY over on my work outs today so I knew the calories were ok). Cupcakes aren't in my meal plan, but that kind of stuff occasionally happens. I just don't plan it and I don't let myself have those "breaks" from my lifestyle very often.
  • margeb102
    margeb102 Posts: 18
    Options
    Usually have a cheat meal once a week. generally over by 300-400 calories for the day. do log it all. however, usually a 100 or so below for 1 or 2 days most weeks.

am maintaining right now.lost about 20 lbs before i started here.

so far so good. have been maintaining for almost 3 months.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Cheat day every Sunday. I think about what I have been craving all week and when Sun comes, I eat it. This week I will be making my ultra awesome gourmet beanie weenies consisting of a large can of maple syrup and brown sugar baked beans and an entire package of Earl Campbell's hot links with my special blend of other stuff. I will certainly eat most of it. I do budget through the week though. Still losing, or winning, however you wanna look at it.