How do you measure food

Options
When the food section says 4oz serving is the size, is that before you cook or after you cook the meat?

Replies

• ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    We had this discussion a few months ago and my reasoning was to weigh the meat prior to cooking. It's how it's weighed on the packaging that gives you the nutritional information. Also, any marinades and methods of cooking, etc could change the weight. Some people said they do it after they cook it but my personal belief is that you should weigh it before.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    We had this discussion a few months ago and my reasoning was to weigh the meat prior to cooking. It's how it's weighed on the packaging that gives you the nutritional information. Also, any marinades and methods of cooking, etc could change the weight. Some people said they do it after they cook it but my personal belief is that you should weigh it before.

I agree. Although you will lose something during the cooking process, you still seem to have "more meat" if you weigh prior to cooking. As stated, added weight to the food throws the nutrition facts off. Also, when you log the food in, I find it more accurate to log it in as raw.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was told that measuring it before or after cooking is neither right or wrong.............just a personal preference.

With that said, I was also told, which ever way you decide to weigh it, whether it be before or after cooking - you should do the same every time to maintain consistancy.........
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It should be before - for example - if you have a 1/4 pound burger - the longer you cook it the more cooks out, so it can be different weight rare vs well done - but the beef company doesn't know how long you will cook it. When you buy a pound of meet - it's a pound - but it's not cooked yet.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I bought a digital food scale at Target, then went to the meat market to get lean (93/7) ground sirloin, ground chicken breast and ground turkey breast. I then measure out 8 oz portions to bag and freeze as I'm typically only cooking for two. I have also done the same with 4 oz portions of pork loin or Jennie O Turkey loin. The portions look small until you start eating then they seem fine with veggies. I also bought cup measurers and spoon measures but seem to be going more on eyeball now. Perhaps I'll get back to it to revamp my system, good luck!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, serving of meat is generally 4 oz raw or 3 oz cooked.
  • chaz995
    chaz995 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I will be consistent and measure prior to cooking.