My hair is falling out...

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this, but anyway...
can someone tell me why my hair is falling out in clumps. Each morning I brush out my hair and the brush is COVERED in hair. I'm constantly picking hairs off my clothing. It's gross. The only time this has ever happened to me was after a pregnancy, and I am CERTAIN I'm not pregnant. Is this an idication of some kind of nutrient deficiency? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hloftin32
    hloftin32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for PCOS? I have high levels of androgens that causes alopecia. It's a hormone disorder, but you would have to be tested to know exactly if that was the underlying cause. I advise starting by taking extra Biotin and see your doctor.
  • ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for PCOS? I have high levels of androgens that causes alopecia. It's a hormone disorder, but you would have to be tested to know exactly if that was the underlying cause. I advise starting by taking extra Biotin and see your doctor.

Good thinking! I have PCOS, been diagnosed with it since 2005, and this has never happened before (except after each of my pregnancies). At my last well check a few months back, everything seemed under control. If it IS related to the PCOS, I wonder why I would be having this symptom now after so many years.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss (as well as some nutrient deficiencies). I'd go to a doctor to have them check if it's the PCOS or something else like thyroid.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I have two friends who starting losing hair when they restricted calories by too much.
  • Eyerin
    Eyerin Posts: 24
    Options
    I had that happen when my thyroid was calving and I was going through a stressful time in my life. I got to a dermatologist right away and she gave me cortisone shots in the bald spots with no guarantees. Fortunately we caught it quick enough and the hair grew back. Best of luck to you. It feels pretty horrible to see that, but there is hope!
  • hloftin32
    hloftin32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My PCOS started really showing up around 16, but it has gotten extremely worse after switching to different type of BC pill. I'm sure after your pregnancy, your hormone levels have been all over the place. Just have your LSH and FSH and free testosterone checked and I always have my thyroid checked as well because the above poster is correct about that being a symptom of that as well. :) Hope you find the relief from it, because I have been actively battling alopecia for the last year and I know how frustrating it can get.
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. When I washed my hair or brushed it a lot of hair would shed. So I started taking a hair, skin, nails vitamin with Biotin. I also started massaging the area where I thought I was thinning once a day for about 5-10 mins. I use coconut oil as one treatment and I also alternate it with Jojoba oil mixed with a few drops of cinnamon oil and massage for 10 mins and leave in another 10 mins and then wash out. I also changed my hair product to one that is not harsh on the hair and doesn't have a lot of chemicals. I also do a aloe treatment once a week, with fresh aloe, peeled and blended and mask into your scalp for about 45 mins, not sure how much this does but after all that is said and done my hair stopped shedding a whole lot. I have also cut a few inches of my hair but after I did that I thought that it would stop shedding as much and it didn't, so I took matters into my own hands with these natural treatments. I would def massage for 10 mins everytime I do a treatment. It's a lot of work to do all this but it has helped me. I hope this helps.
  • brandyny
    brandyny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please go and get your TSH or thyroid checked you could be hypothyroid which is easily fixed with pills the doctor can give you. If your TSH is 3 or higher you are probably hypothyroid. Do you also have cold hands and feet and are cold a lot of the time. There are a lot of symptoms I know because I have it and was not diagnosed after suffering for over two years. Weight gain is a major symptom.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    In my previous weight loss attempts my hair always fell out, but I was eating down around 1200-1300 calories and exercising. It's not enough and your body will react. Make sure you're eating enough. You could open your diary if you are looking for feedback on that front.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but anyway...
    can someone tell me why my hair is falling out in clumps. Each morning I brush out my hair and the brush is COVERED in hair. I'm constantly picking hairs off my clothing. It's gross. The only time this has ever happened to me was after a pregnancy, and I am CERTAIN I'm not pregnant. Is this an idication of some kind of nutrient deficiency? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

I had gastric bypass 18 years ago and I lost most of my hair. It was from being in a starvation mode due to the surgery and the lack of Protein. Once I upped my protein intake the hair loss stopped. Even today when I start loosing my hair I have to up my proteins to stop that. good luck to you.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protien each day? Protien deficiencies can cause hair loss.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would go get that checked out. If the doc says your finds it's not thyroid or androgen-related, then go with biotin shampoo or supplements (shin-min and Country life have hair skin nail formulas that are good). I hope all works out for you!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all the hair from my temples and across the top of my head. I looked like a man with a receding hairline. I was so self-conscious. I started taking oral Biotin (3000 mcg a day, preferably the oral disintegrating kind) available at Walmart (Natrol brand) found with the vitamins. I also went to a health food store and bought biotin shampoo and conditioner. I got Mill Creek brand. It is the only one that listed biotin as the second ingredient. The others had biotin listed way down on the ingredients list. In 6 months my hair is growing back wonderfully. It is still a tiny bit thin at the temples, but the rest is wavy and thick. I wish I had pics I could show you. I hope this helps.
  • ccb1030
    ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In my previous weight loss attempts my hair always fell out, but I was eating down around 1200-1300 calories and exercising. It's not enough and your body will react. Make sure you're eating enough. You could open your diary if you are looking for feedback on that front.

I made my diary public... I always exceed my daily protein allowance that MFP set for me, and I tend to net between 1400-1500 cals a day.

I think hypothryoid is great idea as well, but 2 weeks ago I had a whole panel of bloodwork done (thyroid panel included) because I was having dizzy spells and feeling fatigued, but everything came back "normal." I seriously think there is something wrong with me, but nothing is coming up conclusive. FRUSTRATING!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I made my diary public... I always exceed my daily protein allowance that MFP set for me, and I tend to net between 1400-1500 cals a day.

I think hypothryoid is great idea as well, but 2 weeks ago I had a whole panel of bloodwork done (thyroid panel included) because I was having dizzy spells and feeling fatigued, but everything came back "normal." I seriously think there is something wrong with me, but nothing is coming up conclusive. FRUSTRATING!

You're doing really well on your food! If you have started any medication recently, that can be a reason for hair loss. On the thyroid front, you may want to talk to an endocrinologist if you don't find an answer with your regular doctor. Thyroid levels are tricky in that you can be in the range of normal, but if that level is not "normal" for you, your body might react the same way as someone whose levels are technically below normal. That plus the PCOS I think would warrant a trip to an endo to check out your hormone story.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Go and see your GP
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    iron deficiency?
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options

iron deficiency?

I would go to your doc and have them check the stuff regarding your pcos and test your iron levels. Low iron can make you dizzy, fatigued and also cause hairloss. Sorry this is happening to you.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/news/20060516/hair-loss-may-be-iron-deficiency

eta: you can also check how much iron you've been getting under the reports section on mfp
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    My neice was eating too much tuna and got mercury poisoning. The way she realized it was her hair was falling out. She got tested and her mercury was high. Just a thought.

Another thought - what is your BMR? Have you been eating below it for a long time?
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mine was thyroid. Check out symptom list on internet for hypothyroidism. The doctor can choose to treat the symptoms and see if this helps. The numbers themself can be tricky...