Is Oatmeal bad for the weight?

Options

Replies

• goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have oatmeal for breakfast too.

With sliced apples, cinnamon, almonds, and raisins----fruit and nuts are great sources of fiber

I put 1 - 2 tablespoons of cool whip (my preference)
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    You are already so tiny. . . why are you losing weight?
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    No disrespect intended.:heart:
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I mean, if you eat 10 bowls of oatmeal a day and put a bunch of junk in it, of course you'll gain weight. I eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every day with some brown sugar and raisins and I found that it helps me lose weight because it's only 150 calories and keeps me full for a good 5 hours or so.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I'm actually going to go back to oatmeal with a scoop of whey protein in it. I think it kept me full longer, and therefore decreased my eating later on.

Is that good? Looking for ways to incorporate my protein powder without making a shake ...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hmm I ate a whole box of oatmeal monday, 3-4 packets yesterday, and 5 packets today, I LOVE oatmeal.
    <---- still lean.

Its healthy, yummy, and filling. Win!

Nice photoshop, everyone knows carbs and only carbs make you fat ;p

Haha, she is 20. When I was that age, I could smoke a 1/4 of weed, eat a pound of peanut m & m's then a dozen krispy kreme donuts and still have a rock hard size 0/2 body. I also had a king sized snickers bar and a pot of coffee every single morning when I was 24, I kept a weight of around 105 to 108.
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I love porridge! with other things mixed in like berries or shake powder :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    For those trying to find them may be known as something other than steel-cut oats
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I've had a bowl of old school rolled oats with 8 grams of brown sugar and 1 gram of cinnamon every day for breakfast for the last 11 months. Love it and would miss it terribly.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal probably 9 out of 10 mornings...works for me.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love it--eat it about 3x a week. My husband is a diabetic, and it spikes his blood sugars terribly. Even the steel cut oats do that to him. Even though it's considered low-glycemic index.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I credit the filling, low calories deliciousness of oatmeal to helping me lose weight...that and the guy I hired to punch me in the back of the face everytime I pick up a donut.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You are already so tiny. . . why are you losing weight?

I am trying to maintain my weight approximately where I am, which is where I am comfortable, but which isn't in the underweight category.
    I suffered eating disorders for 2/3 of my life so far, and so am just trying to find a healthy balance :)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm probably the odd man out here, but I don't like oats for breakfast. It's a personal thing, but I always find myself hungry well before lunchtime if I have oatmeal for breakfast. Yes, I could mix in some protein powder or something to help me not feel hungry, but I personally prefer to just throw the powder in the blender with smoothie ingredients.

Either way, it's not bad for "the diet" in general. It just doesn't work well for me.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Some seem to swear by it for breakfast and keeping their weight down, others seem to think it adds to weight gain, so which is correct?

No food is inherently bad for fat loss within the context of a calorie deficit -
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I dont really know...i havent eaten it consistently to figure out...but i do remember feeling really full for a long time after eating it...

also at the end of the day i went way over my carb limit!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I don't think oatmeal would make you gain weight, unless you ate a ton of it or the stuff you are adding to it bulks up the calories too much....that being said a plain oatmeal with some peanut butter and a few dark chocolate chips is heavenly!
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Oatmeal with some Stevia and peanut butter or PB2 really sticks with me through the morning. I have heard for some people oatmeal can cause some bloating or constipation, but I've not had that issue. Every body is different.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    i dont eat oats for two reasons, one is because i have celiac and theres a huge potential fo cross contamination and its ridiculously expensive for gluten free oats. and the other reason is because i dont eat any grain products as they dont react well with my body, as in, if i eat them i get fat. lol

I don't think they make you fat. May cause immune response and inflammation but wouldn't make you fat per se. You still need excess calories to make you fat.

yeah not sure. i elminated all grains. eating same calories, eating same pattern, i used to be obese, now im skinny. was it 40 lbs of bloat from celiacs or do the grains really contribute to weight gain? i dont know and there are a million threads on here of people agruing this to death. i mean not the celiac part but the debate of a calorie is a calorie vs different foods effects on the body and weight gain. in my case, i have a hormonal autoimmune resoponse to certain foods and gain weight. when i ate them i got fat and now that i dont im skinny. well, im in the "normal range" for my height as far as BMI goes so yay! lol
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    No particular food makes you fat. Eating too much makes you fat.