Anyone trying "The Amen Solution?"

Options
I've been reading "The Amen Solution" which is interesting to me because I need to strengthen my brain as well as lose weight. You work at both on this program as well as focusing on your motivation, retraining negative thoughts, meditation, exercise, etc.

Dr. Amen says an obese person's brain generally looks 16 years older than it is on SPECT scans. Yikes!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this.

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    never heard of it/him.......
  • BrnIdGirl
    BrnIdGirl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Is there a website to look at or where do you find it???
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Yeah, Amen is just his name. The diet is very sensible, and just one aspect of the program. I've really enjoyed reading his books "Magnificent Mind at Any Age," "Change your Brain, Change Your Age," and "The Amen Solution." Lots of great info for people who are motivated by reading the science behind why we should eat right, exercise, get enough sleep, balance our emotional lives, etc.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    The website is Amen Solution.com but I find his books better than his website.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I just signed up for a two week trial of the Amen Solution at Home. I've been reading the book. I have all the mechanics of weight loss down but my brain is too lost to get me to my goal. I'll let you know what I think.
  • cbferriss
    Options
    Web site is https://community.theamensolution.com/home/

Apparently, he does a PBS special and he often does the media rounds. He's scheduled for Dr. Oz this Friday.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know about Dr. Amen's appearance on the Dr. Oz show. I'll try to watch that. I just got an email that his web site is now improved and more user friendly. It's been a few months since I revisited what I learned from his books. Thanks for posting - I'll be looking forward to hearing what your experience is. Best wishes!
  • cbferriss
    Options
    The website is a community much like mfp. It does have some cool test and mental exercises, but I don’t think it’s worth the monthly price tag at least not for my budget. I cancelled before my two week trial was up.

I bought some recommended supplements and got them today. I bought from Vitamin Shoppe not from the Amen site. I got 5-HTP, Inosital, Rhodiola and green tea extract. I was so excited to get them, I took one of each…not my smartest moment. 5-HTP and Inosital would be better taken at night with food. Rhodiola in the morning without food if you can tolerate it. And Green Tea is definitely a morning thing.

Three hours later, I still feel a little funny. You know how you feel when you have a big yawn, your ears pop and your brain feels like it blossoming from the rush of oxygen? I’ve had that brain sensation for hours now. lol Kind of cool but weird.

After I take them regularly when I should, I’ll report back again.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The website is a community much like mfp. It does have some cool test and mental exercises, but I don’t think it’s worth the monthly price tag at least not for my budget. I cancelled before my two week trial was up.

I bought some recommended supplements and got them today. I bought from Vitamin Shoppe not from the Amen site. I got 5-HTP, Inosital, Rhodiola and green tea extract. I was so excited to get them, I took one of each…not my smartest moment. 5-HTP and Inosital would be better taken at night with food. Rhodiola in the morning without food if you can tolerate it. And Green Tea is definitely a morning thing.

Three hours later, I still feel a little funny. You know how you feel when you have a big yawn, your ears pop and your brain feels like it blossoming from the rush of oxygen? I’ve had that brain sensation for hours now. lol Kind of cool but weird.

After I take them regularly when I should, I’ll report back again.
    Whoa, sounds like that time in '96 at Lollapalooza
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    I did the two week trial too, about a year ago I think. I still get emails from AmenSolution. Evidently they just revamped their website to make it more user friendly - for people who need brain help!! I haven't been back on the site, mainly because of the price tag.
    Last year, from what I could see, if was like MFP, but also had brain exercises, a place to track emotions and a place to explore your motivations and review them daily. Dr. Amen has a list of brain healthy foods that he has you track daily as well. I may do it one day, but just don't have the time right now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I've read some of his books. Interesting stuff; those brain scans are fascinating - albeit $6,000.

• cbferriss
    Options
    I stopped taking all those pills yesterday. My body went totally wonky! I started breaking out, retaining water and my anxiety was at an all time high. I felt worse not better. I'm sure if I was under Dr. Amen's care, he could give me the right combo but going the diy route sucked!!

Atleast I can say those suppliments do something... not what I wanted them to do, but they weren't placebos.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I don't know, cbferriss, Dr. Amen has received a lot of skepticism from the medical mainstream community. I've read a couple of his books, and the scans are fascinating so he's onto something. Some of those supplements do act on brain chemicals, but since they are supplements, they are not regulated for purity and strength. Other than a good diet and some exercise, I don't know that I'd be playing around too much with supplements that are herbal and not regulated.

Pharmaceuticals are bad enough, but at least they are usually backed by actual human research.

I don't like pharmaceuticals or herbals. I understand some people think they need them - just be careful. Lots of people do not metabolize drugs well, and that can lead to toxic reactions. The best thing for clarity that I've found is clean eating, low(er) carbs and lots of water, sufficient sleep and regular moderate exercise.

Good luck.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Herbal supplements scare me a little too. I would want to be under the watchful eye of my doctor before trying anything to change my brain chemistry. Umm, I say this as I'm drinking a tea with echinacea and licorice root for my sniffles!! (chuckle)

After reading his book and trying to diagnose my particular brain/eating issue, I came up with Dr. Amen's "combined brain type" - or something like that. I was labeled compulsive, impulsive and sad after taking his multiple choice tests. (I don't think I'm sad!) I can't remember how this went exactly, but compulsive people needed more protein and impulsive people needed more carbs -- or vice versa. Since I am both, I have to try to balance mine.

I'm hoping this thread gets more hits from people who have tried some of Dr. Amen's suggestions.