Any hockey players out there?

Options
Currently play men's league 1-2 times a week (lately its been once a week), just wanted to see if there are any other players out there and how the heck you log calorie burn.

I wore my HRM for 2 games and it showed over a thousand calories over the course of the game where mfp only has 400 for the same 30 min of ice time.. I use what mfp shows but I am skeptical to say the least

Replies

• meglep
    meglep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always log what MFP says.. which is i think 391 for 30 mins? i definelty feel like i burn way more than that though!
  • tzaccario
    tzaccario Posts: 53
    Options
    I agree, I think the true number lies somewhere in the middle. I log what mfp says and everytime I say the same thing.. "that just doesn't seem right" lol
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I usually log between 20-40 minutes depending on how much I play and go with what MFP says. The number always seems kind of low to me but I figure its better to underestimate calories than overestimate them. It's good that you have a heart monitor, though >1000 does seem like a lot.
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    I wore my HRM a few times, and just logged what that said. I didn't wear it every time though because it got annoying. Just once or twice to see if it was consistent.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What type of HRM do y'all use. I am looking for one for when I do Karate and working out. But I don't know much about them.
    Any ideas would be great!
  • tzaccario
    Options
    I wore my HRM a few times, and just logged what that said. I didn't wear it every time though because it got annoying. Just once or twice to see if it was consistent.
    Yeah I wore mine just twice as well, it was annoying to wear the chest strap and even more annoying to keep the watch striped on my pants strap. I wore it out of curiosity just to see how high my hr would get up to
  • tzaccario
    Options
    What type of HRM do y'all use. I am looking for one for when I do Karate and working out. But I don't know much about them.
    Any ideas would be great!
    I really like my Timex Ironman Road Trainer.. Has all the features I needed and not a bad price, oh and you can change the batteries yourself which is a big plus.. This is the one I got

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GWYACK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=oh_o03_s00_i00_details
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM for 2 games and it showed over a thousand calories over the course of the game where mfp only has 400 for the same 30 min of ice time.. I use what mfp shows but I am skeptical to say the least

i play roller hockey (inline). i wore an hmr a few times, but i paused it when i was not out on the floor. i believe that made it more accurate. i am pretty little and mine was over 500 calories for about 40 minutes.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'd love to play hockey, but there aren't any coed rec leagues for adults in my area. I play broomball and typically burn @ 200 calories for 2 20-minute periods.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I play ringette and use what's on MFP only because I don't have a HRM. If I were you, I would definitely use the HRM results since I know how much of a workout a good game can be.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I love that all the hockey players responding are women! :flowerforyou:

If only I could skate!!!!!!
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Big hockey fan here. I have always wondered how many calories the skaters burn. The strength and conditioning needed to participate is impressive so congrats for continuing to play into your adult years! My favorite is college hockey (Go MN Gophers), and in their games I can believe 1000 calories is no exaggeration.
  • tzaccario
    Options
    i play roller hockey (inline). i wore an hmr a few times, but i paused it when i was not out on the floor. i believe that made it more accurate. i am pretty little and mine was over 500 calories for about 40 minutes.
    Yeah I think there will always be a discrepancy with what the HRM shows and what MFP has especially for hockey.. BUT I rather take off too few calories then take off to many :happy:
  • tzaccario
    Options

I found that so awesome.. :love:

Funny how I play Ice hockey, yet we NEVER actually go ice skating lol
  • tzaccario
    Options
    Big hockey fan here. I have always wondered how many calories the skaters burn. The strength and conditioning needed to participate is impressive so congrats for continuing to play into your adult years! My favorite is college hockey (Go MN Gophers), and in their games I can believe 1000 calories is no exaggeration.

With the pace they push through the entire game, they definitely burn more then we would in recreational leagues :laugh:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

Nope, we never have...lol
  • kdiment
    Options

I never go ice skating either! So weird!
  • tzaccario
    Options
    Have a game tonight.. I made some modifications to my HRM, so I think I will try it again and see what it says this time..
  • kdiment
    Options
    I only wore my HRM twice, because I found that it was annoying under all my equipment. I also had a reading of over a thousand. It didn't seem right to me, so I met it somewhere in the middle and recorded it as about 700-800 calories burned.

Apparently I already commented in here - weird!
  • KarenC88
    KarenC88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I lived around an ice arena and was able to play several times a week, I would wear my Polar HRM every time I played. Yes, I believe I do burn that much (depending on how hard I played and what type of players I play against). Just remember, MFP has no way of knowing how many shifts you play, what your heart rate is, etc. If you have your correct height, weight, age logged into your HRM, then it will show you closer to how much you are burning based on their formula....but if you are concerned it is too much, then tyou can always ake an average of what you have on your HRM and what the MFP tells you..I can tell you that when I play for fun with my friends for 80+ minutes, I burn close to 900 calories...and my body feels every single one of them the next day:-)