Help with diary/exercise and calories burnt

Options
Okay so in my settings I have put lightly active, I do work from home on the computer, but also have the children part of the day, so can be up and down the stairs etc. Plus I walk the children to preschool 3 times a week ( 1 hour a day) and walk the dog a minimum of once a day (30 mins) but mostly twice a day ( 2 x 30 mins)

However I log these as exercise as I speed walk, not leisurely walk, but I am wondering if I should up my settings to active, at least for the one dog walk a day as that is everyday?

At the moment I do 30DS each day and Calisthenics each day, and then I go to zumba once or twice a week.

Yesterday my net calories was 203 calories, which I have been told isn't good. And my BMR is 1640 - all this is confusing me. I would appreciate some help about how I am running everything, and any tips to change or improve?

MFP tells me 1740 calories a day, based on lightly active and lose 1lb a week, although I think I would like 2lbs a week as I still have approx 2 stone to go

I have opened up my diary for people to see

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    At 2 stone to go, the most you should be trying to lose is 1lb a week. You should be netting at least your BMR. MFPs settings are on the low side in my opinion (i.e. you should eat more) - and if you only have yourself set at lightly active, you should definately be eating back the energy expended exercising.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    This is a really good post to see how much you should be eating for a healthy and sustainable weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is a really good post to see how much you should be eating for a healthy and sustainable weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?

Thanks for your link and input!! :)
  • EmRobo
    Options
    so as a minimum I should be eating my BMR of 1640?

What about the dog walking, can I class that as exercise if I do it everyday? The lightly active category is that suitable for me?

Thank you :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What about the dog walking, can I class that as exercise if I do it everyday? The lightly active category is that suitable for me?

You should include it in your level of activity when working out how much to eat. And eating at your BMR is the MINIMUM.

...and you are welcome re earlier post.

It is a bit confusing at first (and scary when you work out how much you should be eating!) - you have done great in your weight loss so far - eating at the right level will really help you do it in a sustainable and healthy way -- and be more fun:happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your calories burned from exercise seem really high -but then you're not eating all of them back. So that probably doesn't matter, except that it affects that "net" figure.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    See this is a quandry i have as well, i work out really hard which brings my net calories right down, but I physically can't eat any more food and feel guilty when people say 'you should probably up your calories' or 'eat more' - maths isn't my strong point but you're not alone in the confusion :bigsmile:
  • EmRobo
    Options

You should include it in your level of activity when working out how much to eat. And eating at your BMR is the MINIMUM.

...and you are welcome re earlier post.

It is a bit confusing at first (and scary when you work out how much you should be eating!) - you have done great in your weight loss so far - eating at the right level will really help you do it in a sustainable and healthy way -- and be more fun:happy:

I can eat for Britain and don't know when to stop at times, but when I am not hungry I just don't know what to do. I think I am also trying to make up for my weekend away with the girls in Edinburgh, too much booze and food given up for lent ( I was allowing myself the naughty food given up for lent lol)

I also follow slimming world, which I love, but since I am a vegetarian I used to pile my plate with lots of pasta and now I weigh it, so maybe I should up my pasta a little bit as I have the allowance in calories for it.

I will get there lol

Thanks again :)
  • EmRobo
    Options
    Your calories burned from exercise seem really high -but then you're not eating all of them back. So that probably doesn't matter, except that it affects that "net" figure.

I brought a HRM as MFP was all over the place with my calories burnt. I burn quite a lot in zumba as I work really hard and I am quite tall and defo not a small person lol :)
  • EmRobo
    Options
    See this is a quandry i have as well, i work out really hard which brings my net calories right down, but I physically can't eat any more food and feel guilty when people say 'you should probably up your calories' or 'eat more' - maths isn't my strong point but you're not alone in the confusion :bigsmile:

Glad its not just me :)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Its why I bought a HRM as well so I know exactly what I burn, just worked out ive lost a third of a pound roughly a day as an average but theres so many conflicting and sometimes highly scientific answers on what you should/shouldnt do it confuses the bejesus out of me
  • EmRobo
    Options

Its why I bought a HRM as well so I know exactly what I burn, just worked out ive lost a third of a pound roughly a day as an average but theres so many conflicting and sometimes highly scientific answers on what you should/shouldnt do it confuses the bejesus out of me

as well as the link above, I just found this, its a good read and is starting to make a little more sense now :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539912-why-eating-exercise-calories-is-so-important

Edited to add, I don't have days like this everyday!!