The young fitness instructor, the mature lady and the tape m

Options
I go to the gym or swim a couple of times a week for the cardio and with the calorie counting have lost a fair bit since last August. I decided it's time to tone up what's there with some strength work so asked for a refresher at the gym. It's under new management since I joined so they insisted on a a health check which was all fine up to the point where he (nice lad, looks about 20 and I'm 52) got out his tape measure to do my waist/hips ratio. Now I'm wearing tight fitting lycra leggings. He measures the hips over the leggings but then asks me to adjust them down so he can be sure he's measuring my waist exacty around where my belly button is......result....the excess skin I have around there from the weight loss is pushed up and over the waist band to exactly where he wants to measure! I pointed this out but he carried on regardless. So the ratio is recorded as 0.88 which is very high risk! He was a bit non-plussed as to why I don't seem bothered......despite the fact that with my leggings in the correct place it is clear I have a typical hourglass (or maybe hour and a half glass) figure. So the moral is that the tape measure can be as unreliable as the scales if you're not careful!

Replies

• icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is more than a little silly! I won't let the trainers at my gym measure me yet! Maybe next month when I get into the overweight category I will but no way just now!! But it does seem to me that that young fella does not infact know how to measure. At least not someone like you who has lost so much weight!

Still I would just have a laugh at the whole insident! Poor young man!! Lol!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    funny story. :)