A question for tofu eaters?

Options
borichfan
borichfan Posts: 208 Member
How do you prepare your tofu? Is tofu a good choice for a substitute for meat?

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I usually eat tofu with soy sauce and some vegetables

Yesterday I tried "pizza tofu" which is very similar to this one: http://i8.goodness-direct.co.uk/d/418408b.jpg
    and it was delicious! even it it may seem too processed!

And yes, I use it as a meat substitute :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    After 20 years of being vegetarian, I still suck at preparing tofu. So I only eat it already prepared, like at restaurants or in convenience meals.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I like any chinese or japanese style recipes for tofu. Its not a meat replacement though cause nothing really taste like meat. I just eat it for what it is.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki sauce!!
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tofu in any chinese/japanese dish. i've also made baked Caribbean tofu, tofu parmiagiana, etc. I have a bunch of recipes for tofu. I really like tofu :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I cook it up with other veggies in a stir fry, shred it into pasta sauce ...

You can do pretty much anything with it. It is a good source of protein and iron, among other things. And, yes, it's a good sub for meat. Basically, it tastes like whatever you cook it in. It doesn't really have much taste of its own.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just press it to firm it up and throw it in sauce , and eat it :-) om nom
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    it's nice in a thai curry... really soaks up the sauce, yum!
  • airborne46q
    airborne46q Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown has some practical advice and good recipes for preparing tofu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7TVQewNy3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3ss4tRAVQ
  • MarieAnneN
    MarieAnneN Posts: 205
    Options
    Smooth tofu are perfect for shakes and smoothies! Kids just love them!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I gotta read this later!
  • jennyspo
    jennyspo Posts: 1
    Options
    you slice the tofu like meat to any size than toy use a lil butter or olive oil and fry it in the pan spice it like you would spise and meat and cook untill its crispy than serve ontop of salad or eat as a side dish dip in ketcup, enjoy it will taste like popcorn chicken
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love tofu. It doesn't have the taste or texture of meat, at all. But nutritionally, it can be a good substitute.

I like to cube it and put it in salads, crumble it and sautee it with onion and spices to make a sort of scrambled eggs, or bake it in the oven in a marinade until it firms up a bit and just eat it like that.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Beer-battered with panko then pan fried in just a little coconut oil.
  • niklynne
    niklynne Posts: 12
    Options
    Here is a pro tip for the new tofu people... Silken Tofu is WAY different that Tofu! They are not interchangeable!
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i use it alot in indian cooking...palak paneer ( spinach and ricotta cheese) sub the cheese for tofu..its good. You can google the recipe..super low fat and healthy.
  • vegan1975
    vegan1975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In stir-frys or wraps I prefer my tofu crisp on the outside and soft on the inside so (if time permits) I freeze it and thaw it first to create more air pockets, then I press it to remove as much of the moisture as possible, then I slice it up and dry-bake the slices at low temperature for about 20 minutes each side (or in a pan without oil), and then I toss it in a marinade or sauce and add it to whatever I'm making. It sounds like a long process (and I guess it is) but I make a whole batch with one or two blocks at a time and I use it for many meals.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible with tofu, I screw it up, I rely on a once a week delivery from my local Chinese restaurant, they are amazing at it.

The only tips I can give is that tofu really needs to be marinated, it absorbs flavour easily. Then, although it's bad, I think the nicest way to cook it is to fry it.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Holy snapdragons I love tofu! I have a couple amazing recipes!

First is tofu "bites" with a crispy coating that you can make normal, or spicy.

Another is a kind of a baked tofu with mustard sauce.

And third is a faux chicken parmesan using tofu instead of chicken.

And tofu is an amazing sub for eggs in scrambled eggs. Let me know if you want the recipes!