cereal advice

Options
lwdllc
lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
I'm looking for some good recommendations for whole grain cold cereal that's not packed with sugar or sodium. I know i would be better off eating some proteins and fruit in the morning, and I make breakfast burritos (healthy and yummy) for my husband, but eggs tend to make my stomach upset if I eat them first thing in the morning. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    Bump
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Shreddies, Weetabix, Oats?
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Go to your local supermarket and have a look at the nutritional info on the back of all the cereal there. Best way to do it.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    WEET BIX!! :bigsmile: Don't know where your from but, Weetbix are wholegrain with very little anything else, it's great for morning cereal and you can always add things to it like banana or other fruits nuts fruits, it's low in calories with skim milk and delicious with fruit or yoghurt.

Oh and it's yummy :)
  • julieellam
    julieellam Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Make your own muesli with a base of rolled oats and your choice of dried fruits, seeds and nuts.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love my Kellogg's All Bran Buds.. no artificial sweetners, two servings is more than the RDA of fiber for a day, and iron fortified. It's like tiny little pebbles, so it goes great in yogurt too!
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I make a Bircher Muesli which I prepare the night before and eat at work. It goes like this:

3/4 cup Rolled Oats
    1 Tbsp Sunflower seeds
    1/2 Tbsp Pepitas
    10g Almonds Natural
    125ml Apple Juice

Mix all the above ingredients together and put into fridge overnight.

In another container, put 100g of natural yoghurt and in another container 100g of frozen mixed berries. Put those in the fridge too.

When ready to eat, squish everything together and you have a really healthy, tasty breakfast. If you need some sweetness over and above the berries squirt a bit of honey in.
  • billcastro123
    billcastro123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look at Kashi - Go Lean Cereal (the Original, not the crunchy version). It has the highest protein levels in a cold ceral, that I have found anyway.
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    Im not sure if Special K is even all that good for you, but I love the way it tastes :) And it keeps me full until lunch!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Shredded Wheat! The plain, big biscuits.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Like someone else suggested, I would grab oats, barley, rye and some seeds and dried fruit and make your own muesli, that way you know what is going into it...as long as you are not a cereal fiend and prone to craving it at night, like me.

All bran is also another reasonable one, I found, if you can find that sort of thing without adding sugar.

Failing that, my father has sworn by cooked oats with grated apple and cinnamon and maybe some raisins thrown in for years.
  • julieellam
    Options
    How did you get on lwdllc? have you tried out the suggestions given or found any alternatives.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Shredded Wheat =) no added anything but it's very tasty.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Porridge, end of discussion
  • sa7toot
    sa7toot Posts: 10
    Options
    I use a mixture of all of the above... sometimes special K, others Nestle Fitness with fruites.. also Alpen has some good products.. not to get bored try some of this and that with skimmed milk..
  • julieellam
    Options
    thebigcb, I've been eating porridge for what seems like months and it's starting to get a little boring. Do you add anything to spice it up at all?
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    People here are always on my case to give up my Lucky Charms, but really, if you do a side by side comparison, of LC and Kashi Go Lean Crunch, LC has only 1g more sugar, less fat, less cholesterol, fewer calories, fewer carbs, more vitamins A & C, more calcium, and more iron. Less protein, but with the extra calories I can eat 3 pieces of bacon. (Oscar Meyer, fully cooked. 3 slices, 70 cals.)

All that to say, you don't necessarily have to buy into the "health food" cereal hype.
  • Nuttytart2012
    Nuttytart2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ready Brek - yummmm :-D