I need to eat more to loose weight?

mfp recommends I eat 1200 calories a day,
i only started 3 weeks ago and i thought i just had tp stay under this number. but not getting any results and the general consensis seems to be that i need to stick at 1200 and not go under since ive been falling short of this regulary.....
So thats cool and ill make sure with thats,
I guess this isnt really a question, its just such a weird idea to get through my head that i actually need to eat more to drop the kgs... just sound so weird right....

reassurance?

Replies

• Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    i started at 1200 too...it wasn't enough! i now eat 1650 cuz that's my BMR! and i try to net that after exercise calories. do some research on here from the seaarch box eating more to weigh less and see what you think. if you think eating 1200 is weird your really be suprised to find that alot of people are eating twice that and losing without stalling out!
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    it is a strange idea to get accustomed to but after months of bouncing around the same 5 or 6 pounds while netting 1300-1400 a day, I started trying to net between 1600 - 1800 a day and have dropped for two weeks in a row for the first time in months. And also dropped below that 5-6 pound range I couldn't escape. It's kind of scary to do it because we're so conditioned to think that less and less and less is what we need to do. I weigh in tomorrow and even though I've had results for two weeks in a row I'm still convinced I'll have gained 5 pounds. :laugh: It takes time getting used to the idea, but it's working for me so far.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Yep youre spot on. Before I lost all my weight, I wouldnt eat practically all day then when I got home after work I was ravenous. This coupled with eating portions that were out of control and well obesity was no surprise.

After I started to eat properly as well much cleaner foods, the weight dropped.

Your on the right track. Keep it up & good luck.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Amazing concept to get our heads around, but yes you need to eat enough to maintain your bodily functions and have a small deficit which will lead you to lose weight. If you don't eat enough your metabolism will cool down (so to speak) and you won't lose.

If you go to the topics page and search "eat calories" or something similar, you will see there are loads of threads about this - we all feel the same - eat as little as possible and lose weight - right? NO NO NO

Actually I have a copy of a good thread / article, if I can find it I will come back and add it. ETA I couldn't find it but I see someone has mentioned the "stickies" so it might be there.

Good luck with the weight loss :-)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    The stickies in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum have a lot of articles about this that show that yes, you do need to eat more to lose weight, especially if you're not even, or just barely, breaking 1000 calories. They also explain why this is the case.

Basically, by not eating enough, you're sending the signal to your body that food is scarce, and when food is scarce, it might be a while before you get adequate food, so in an attempt to make sure you stay alive for your next meal, it works to hold on to any extra weight you have. You have to send it the signal that there's plenty of food to be had, so your fat stores aren't needed.

If you're having trouble hitting your calories because you're not hungry, then try adding in things like protein shakes, healthy smoothies, or nuts/nut butters. They're pretty calorie-dense, so they get you the calories you need, without filling you up to the point of making you sick (ie - a tablespoon or two of a nut butter vs a 3-quart bowl full of salad greens to get 200 calories).
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    thanks yeah i keep hearing this and have been reading about it. its just a bit scary haha
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    If you don't take in enough calories you body goes into a type of hybernation mode and stores them thinking it is going to starve. I went on an 1800 ADA based and actually do an average of about 1500-1600 and have been losing between a 1/2 lb and a lb a week minimum.
  • pgrant0328
    pgrant0328 Posts: 58 Member
    For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

Please explain why after a workout you should eat back those calories. I don't understand.
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    LOL! I was asking my husband this last night. It is truly a foreign concept...I have to EAT MORE to LOSE? I am having serious trouble eating all of my calories and I average 2100 exercise calories a week (going three times for about 2.5 hours). I had to work really, really hard to stop eating so much and I also know that it's in the portion size and what you eat. I ate ALL day yesterday...I literally couldn't eat any more! I tried for salads and pretzels. My sugars and sodium were really up yesterday (I did drink at least 9 glasses of water though) and I couldn't find anything to eat that wouldn't add to the sugar or sodium!

It's really confusing and I guess I'm going to try to eat all day long (just small portions) and see how it goes. Good thing with this is that you can try new things each week until you figure out what your body responds to. No time wasted either, because you are still moving and working out.

I am trying to find healthy alternatives so I'm literally eating all day long. Should I eat something a bit more fattening to try to achieve eating all of my calories? I always thought that you had to burn MORE than you took in to lose weight. I'm still new to all of this, it's like my 19th time trying, but this time I feel different. I feel more dedicated, I am educating myself more.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    cool im going to try and sick to as close to 1200 as i can get for the next 2 weeks and see how it goes rather than falling short every day. will review after 2 weeks :) was feeling a bit down today but i feel positive again now which is what i needed so thanks guys :)
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    LOL! I was asking my husband this last night. It is truly a foreign concept...I have to EAT MORE to LOSE? I am having serious trouble eating all of my calories and I average 2100 exercise calories a week (going three times for about 2.5 hours). I had to work really, really hard to stop eating so much and I also know that it's in the portion size and what you eat. I ate ALL day yesterday...I literally couldn't eat any more! I tried for salads and pretzels. My sugars and sodium were really up yesterday (I did drink at least 9 glasses of water though) and I couldn't find anything to eat that wouldn't add to the sugar or sodium!

It's really confusing and I guess I'm going to try to eat all day long (just small portions) and see how it goes. Good thing with this is that you can try new things each week until you figure out what your body responds to. No time wasted either, because you are still moving and working out.

I am trying to find healthy alternatives so I'm literally eating all day long. Should I eat something a bit more fattening to try to achieve eating all of my calories? I always thought that you had to burn MORE than you took in to lose weight. I'm still new to all of this, it's like my 19th time trying, but this time I feel different. I feel more dedicated, I am educating myself more.

It's hard to get your head round at first isn't it!

Good fats are good! try nuts, seeds, avacado, eggs - all the things you've prob been trying to avoid! : )

It did feel like I was eating all day long to begin with, 3 weeks in it's settled down a bit - now I try to have larger portions at each meal and make sure I have snacks in between. also an extra smoothie/meal on work out days.

Hope that helps a bit!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    If you eat about 100-200 calories above your BMR you will have enough calories for your body not to starve and you will lose weight. So, go to the tools section, calculate your BMR (it changes as you lose so check back every so often), and then aim for a little above that for your daily intake. It will work and you will be healthier for it.

Look for good fats that are in nuts and seeds if you want/need more calories.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

Please explain why after a workout you should eat back those calories. I don't understand.

you eat back the calories to maintain the deficit you chose to lose weight.

if you chose a deficit of 500, and you burned 500, your deficit will not be 1000, so to maintain your goal deficit you eat back the 500 to get back to your goal deficit.

It gets more important if you are on a larger deficit as a high calorie burn could put you under your nutritional needs.

Some people chose a 500 defict but get there by a combination of 250 food defict and 250 calorie burn it's all about understanding your deficts,
  • well eating more and burning some of it like for example eating 1500 in one day and burning 500 calories at the gym + Say 100 more calories if you walk around school , work , university , shopping that's 600 that would be perfect as you burn alot of calories and your metabolism speeds up like magic but eating 1000 calories or lower calories and that kind of stuff i believe would really slows your metabolism plus gain it by time .. that's why diets like ABC or Skinny girl diet are UNSUCCESSFUL ! and leads to depression
    good luck girly :)
    xo
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    mfp recommends I eat 1200 calories a day,
    i only started 3 weeks ago and i thought i just had tp stay under this number. but not getting any results and the general consensis seems to be that i need to stick at 1200 and not go under since ive been falling short of this regulary.....
    So thats cool and ill make sure with thats,
    I guess this isnt really a question, its just such a weird idea to get through my head that i actually need to eat more to drop the kgs... just sound so weird right....

reassurance?

MFP is only set at 1200 because of the choices you made when setting your goals - 1200 is the minimum it can set for anyone and often is as a result of people setting too aggresive a weight loss goal.

Have you checked your BMR and TDEE?
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Bumping...

:drinker:
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member

It's hard to get your head round at first isn't it!

Good fats are good! try nuts, seeds, avacado, eggs - all the things you've prob been trying to avoid! : )

It did feel like I was eating all day long to begin with, 3 weeks in it's settled down a bit - now I try to have larger portions at each meal and make sure I have snacks in between. also an extra smoothie/meal on work out days.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you so much! It does help. The other night, hubby offered to pick up pizza for dinner. I told him please not to, as I am just starting back out and didn't want the temptation around me. I actually let him CONVINCE me that our Supreme Pizza was HEALTHY because of all the veggies on it. :grumble: I love pizza but don't usually eat much of it. I ate one slice, which was fine. Then, since I was reading and not paying attention, I grabbed and devoured a second slice. :noway: Needless to say, I felt like crap! Not only eating that second slice but it was so greasy, I actually felt sick from it. So, there was a silver lining to it and I learned the hard way, lol.

I'm glad you said, "GOOD FATS"....should be a DUH, but I needed to hear that specific term, thank you! Good fats, good fats, good fats....that's gonna be my new motto :tongue:
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    I am 5ft 1 and the best thing I did was up my daily calories to 1400 a day. I have lost over 15lbs and avg. 3 inches from my torso. I know soon I may need to up my calories again, but it is scary at first.