Goal was to maitain weight but lost 3 lbs in a week anyway??

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
So I don't want any crap for this post, I know this site is 99% about weight loss and I commend you all for undertaking your own journey's, But that is not my issue, This is my weigh maintain/weight gain journey.

I don't know what I did wrong...I was 100 lbs when I started a week ago, and have lost 3 lbs in a week.
My goal here was to maintain my weight, while exercising, and as I lose weight very easily, I wanted to try calorie counting to make sure I am replacing what I'm burning. I'm new to training in general, I've just always been skinny.

I have meet my calorie goals every day but 1, which was my 1st day counting, you can look at my food diary, but it is all changed now that I have set new goals (To Gain rather than just maintain - and its half in Swedish too :ohwell: ) but I was eating my 1600ish a day, plus what ever I burnt (I'm using a polar HRM to count now, first few days I was using the approx on here, and I believe it estimated quite low for me), Anyway I still went down. Also I'm spacing my meals, I eat every 2 hours over 16-18 hrs a day.

I reset my goals again to gain 1lb a week, and will up my protein. I want to be 100lbs min, with a goal to gain more once I'm further along, any other suggestions to maintain the wight once I get there?? Or tips to help go up in a healthy way?

Thanks

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It's got to be water loss due to a sudden change in diet and exercise. But the calorie goals are based on averages and it sounds like you don't have an average metabolism. Probably a good idea to up your calories like you've done and see what happens. Good luck!
  • Meg_78
    Options
    It's got to be water loss due to a sudden change in diet and exercise. But the calorie goals are based on averages and it sounds like you don't have an average metabolism. Probably a good idea to up your calories like you've done and see what happens. Good luck!

Thank you treetop, So I can hope its just my bodies naturalish freak out reaction to something a bit foreign!?!

Diet didn't change much (ate a little more is all, but I've always eaten healthy) but the exercise was probably a bit of a shock to the system.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Any other pointers, feel like I suddenly have a lot of calories to fill.
  • treetop57
    Options
    That's my guess, anyway. Of course: "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.". :smile:
  • Meg_78
    Options
    That's my guess, anyway. Of course: "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.". :smile:

Gotta love a disclaimer! :happy:
  • treetop57
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You have been under your goal almost every day (I know you new goal is 500 cals higher, but then you should only be under the new goal by 500, and many days you are in the 600-800 under range (100-300 under your old goal) Your BMR may also be higher then MFP predicts so your maintenance on MFP may still have you lose weight.

I would suggest trying a caloric intake and stick with it for 3-4 weeks, if you don't get the desired results make a change then. It takes our bodies time to adjust so switching too often will confuse you on what worked and what didn't.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    One week? I wouldn't worry about it. If you continue to lose weight for weeks, regardless of how many calories you take in, I would see a doctor. There are some serious medical issues that "could" be associated with sudden rapid weight loss over time.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    If you are exercising and want to gain muscle you need to eat a diet of 30% fat and 30% protein and the rest carbs. Also I eat almost 1900 calories a day and weight a little more than you do so I say increase your calories make the increase more protein and good fats.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the same thing, but I was talking to a teen son who started up a third sport due to spring. I told him he needs to be like Michael Phelps, the swimmer, when going into training. He makes his diet JUST as much work as his work outs. Do you think there are websites or google that explain/give detail on his meal planning? I know he eats double digit thousands per day, but in an interview, it is a very serious part of his success.

Keep researching and asking because there are answers out there to help you maintain/gain without just stopping your exercise or eating junk!
  • Meg_78
    Options
    You have been under your goal almost every day (I know you new goal is 500 cals higher, but then you should only be under the new goal by 500, and many days you are in the 600-800 under range (100-300 under your old goal) Your BMR may also be higher then MFP predicts so your maintenance on MFP may still have you lose weight.

I would suggest trying a caloric intake and stick with it for 3-4 weeks, if you don't get the desired results make a change then. It takes our bodies time to adjust so switching too often will confuse you on what worked and what didn't.

Thanks!

Its been a bit of a period of adjustment with my calories:
    Actually for the first few days I was set at "lightly active" which was 1550ish but I was getting blood sugar drops, and really bad shakes, so I realized I should be at "active", so then it went up to 1650ish which I mostly filled + my burn cals, so it was only the first 2 days I was under. I'm going to stick with this 2140 for at least 3 weeks to see if I get back up to 100lbs.

And you are right, MFP was logging me at about 117cals burned for 20min circuit training, when in fact it was much higher, 225 for 25min of the same thing in om my Polar HMR.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks every one I wish there was a thanks button for each post!