Too little sodium

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just curious about opinions on this... basically I've been watching my sodium since as long as I've been on MFP. Everyone else in my family suffers from hypertension, so I try to eat a lot of potassium rich foods, while minimizing the intake of sodium. Now, since becoming a vegetarian there are some days where I will only get about 1500mg of sodium in a day. Today is one of those days.

Is this an issue if its not consistent? I usually have one day a week/every other week where I will go over (usually if we eat out). Given the success of people on raw diets, I'm thinking 1500 isn't actually that bad.

What do you think?

Replies

• TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    My understanding is that sodium and potassium work together and should be balanced in your diet. Having either one consistently higher than the other isn't good for you. From what I have read having that balance is more important than the amounts.
  • msarro
    Options
    My understanding is that sodium and potassium work together and should be balanced in your diet. Having either one consistently higher than the other isn't good for you. From what I have read having that balance is more important than the amounts.

Agreed, however there's been a *lot* of research in recent years showing that actually having a higher amount of potassium than sodium lowers blood pressure, decreases hypertension, and lowers your risks for a number of heart related issues. Then again, the average American eats 5000mg of sodium a day and next to no potassium. Hmmm..
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?! I have a problem always going over my sodium no matter how closely I try to monitor it. Please tell me your secret!
  • msarro
    Options
    What are you eating?! I have a problem always going over my sodium no matter how closely I try to monitor it. Please tell me your secret!

I actually eat a lot of veggies, raw nuts, seeds, trail mixes, yogurts, etc. All are tiny meals every 1.5-2 hours through the day, with bigger meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also tend to not eat foods with more than 100mg of sodium in a single serving.

Example breakfast:
    Apple, Cup of light yogurt, raw almonds (mix and match)

Snacks:
    Fancy fruit trail mix, raw almonds, protein bar, apple, smoothie made with protein powder

Lunch (this always kills me and usually ends up with about 600mg sodium):
    Weight watchers whole wheat bread, boca burger, kraft fat free cheese, ketchup, and a cup of yoplait fat free yogurt

Dinner
    Pita, tofu, romaine lettuce, tomato

That's a barebones list but it gives you an idea. Its mostly just finding lots of low sodium stuff that you like :)
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Thanks!