Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Panic Attacks

2»

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I did and got the results back today and they’re fine, apparently I need to stop getting so worried and relax more!! Easier said than do and still doesn’t stop the attacks – thanks everyone!!

Figure out what your triggers are and learn to recognize early signs of an oncoming attack, then practice coping skills before things get out of hand.

This was a huge help to me:
    http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/157224223X

I got to a point where I would avoid any uncomfortable situations because I was afraid of having another panic attack. It got to the point where I didn't want to go out to eat, or even go to work. I finally learned to stop an oncoming attack and got my life back.

Deep breathing is my go-to for anxiety. 10 seconds of concentrating on breathing into my stomach can take me to a totally different mindset.
  • That's EXACTLY how I've been even so bad that I haven't been out to dinner with friends and cancelled as I just was having one huge attack and couldn't go out!!!

Thanks so much going to look at amazon now :-)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    That's EXACTLY how I've been even so bad that I haven't been out to dinner with friends and cancelled as I just was having one huge attack and couldn't go out!!!

Thanks so much going to look at amazon now :-)

I hope it can help you as much as it did me. The coping skills were great and made a huge difference.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to hit me up, I've been there and I know how small it can make your world feel.
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Some people think its silly/ ridiculous..but look up EFT (emotional freedome technique) ..I have had anxiety and panic attacks all my adult life, mine is triggered by a phobia of being claustrophibic. You can google the EFT and read on, it helped me to relax, along with breathing to help keep the panic attacks mostly at bay. It is like tapping pressure points and repeating words such as, even tho I get panic attacks, I believe I can overcome them, and I believe in myself......See your doctor too, there are so many medications that will help and its nothing to be ashamed of. They are so common, more than you realize. Exercising helps alos, it releases endorphins in your brain. hope you get relief soon! My entire family has had panic and anxiety attacks so I think its a brain malfunction that you have to train to calm down...
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    I do have panic attacks. I have read that you can bette control them by cutting out sugary/processed foods. I have never tried it.

I am also thinking that mine might have a link to dairy products, so I am trying to cut back on those as well. Anything that might help is better than a panic attack!
  • If you can't get to a psychologist, i'd 100% recommend an anxiety self-help book. Someone posted the link to one earlier but i'd recommend the 'Overcoming... ' series, I believe there is an overcoming panic one. Essentially they're going to tell you the same sort of things though. There's also some online cognitive behavioural therapy courses in panic (here in the UK theres one called fearfighter) but I think you can only get access to it through your doctor.

I think it's important that when you do feel yourself getting into a panic that you try to calm down your breathing because breathing quickly will only make your heart race faster and make you panic more. Also, however much you think you're going to die during it, nobody has ever died from a panic attack :)
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    I feel what causes these attacks is the sugars high and lows. I used to have these all the time. Once you can get a regular balance of sugar and get it stablized then these appear less frequent. Keep or try to keep your sugar levels consistant through out the day. Once I have been able to do that I no longer have these attacks. Try adding cinnamon to your daily diet this will help regulate your sugar levels. It doesn't take a lot. If you drink a lot of soda cut way back.
  • That's great advice as I do tend to binge on biscuits and if I don't eat for a while I can feel them getting worse.

Thanks so much everyone for taking time to reply, you don't realise how much I appreciate it and knowing it's not just me going mad!!

P.S. I'm currently seeing the doctor but need to come off the meds.....so trying anything, have tried herbal rememdies and they just don't work!