Those of you who don't belong to a gym....

Options
What do you do to get your strength training exercises in?

Looking for some ideas.

Thanks

Replies

• Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    video with weights(hand) I got o gym too
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Fitness magazine is a great resource for at-home strength training techniques. They offer variations off the normal crunches, lunges, leg lifts and push up routines and they are fun to play around with.

I recently did a butt-lift routine I found in Fitness, and it worked amazingly well.

I also picked up Billy Blanks's Tae Bo Basics video tape from a second hand store, and have been working out at home with that. It's AWESOME and my little brother just bought the tape off Amazon.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't have to be with full on weights - there are a TON of things you can do with minimal equipment (medicine ball, some hand weights) and your own body weight....

There are lots of good DVD's out there, if you have cable with on-Demand look under Sports and Fitness channel and you will probably find some...the web also has a ton of different places.

I adore the Nike Training app - lots of great routines that require no equipment at all (optional) and it will work you out and make you sweat....
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    We have a power rack with olympic bar/plates. Also dumbbells ranging from 3-35 lbs(there are a few in between there I wish I had). I am doing New Rules of Lifting for Women right now so this all seems to be enough for me, though I'd love to have a cable machine for rows and lat pull downs. I was doing Chalean Extreme before this and really liked it. Just needed dumbbells or resistance bands.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have no time for the gym because I work full time and have a 4 year old so for weight training I do squats and lunges with a weight bar, crunches, planks, and I run the stairs on my lunch break. My cardio is strictly running.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I do alot of circuit training and running on my treadmill. I have a TON of workout videos that I do. I do have a gym membership but only make it there once a month just for the change of scenery. I prefer to workout at home because I have all of the equipment I need, its more convenient since I have an 18 month old AND I work harder at home and can do more at home than in the gym.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We have some weights at home. I have dumb bells and my dad has some barbells that I use.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    P90x.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, barbell, weight plates, kettlebells- saving up for a powercage.

Used sports stores, craigslist and walmart are where our stuff has come from. Walmart has a VERY cheap dumbell set that's good in a pinch- sand weight (boo) but forty pounds for twenty bucks (oooh!) and is a good start for people new to lifting. We bought our bench at Play It Again Sports for 35USD. It was great to use to work up to having enough strength to squat with (had muscle atrophy) as it came with the leg extension and all that.

It's doable but you might need to get creative. Check out DIY solutions too- sometimes making things is tons cheaper (sometimes not).
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love this website:

http://www.strength-training-woman.com/strength-training-exercises.html

Most of the exercises detailed require minimal or no equipment, and can be adapted based on what you have available.
  • NWriceC
    NWriceC Posts: 28
    Options
    I do a combination of gym and at home work outs.
    Must say that those done at home are much more strenuous than those at the gym for some reason.

Weights at the gym, small cardio done on the bike when there too.
    At home, Jillian Michaels videos, 10 min workout, P90X, stepper, bench (crunches, press, inclined leg lift, etc.), yoga ball for core exercises, pilates videos, etc. I also run up and down the stairs in my building, side skipping the length of the hallway after ever two stair climbs to add variety to the repitition but I FEEL it the next day.

You have to do whatever works for you, I think.
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Steal bags of sand from home depot and walk them home.
  • Lose20lbs38
    Options
    Exercise videos :D
  • KP5555
    KP5555 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    30 day shred... I am on my second round..... I love it.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    This morning I Jillian Michaels' "No More Trouble Zones" which is all weight work with 3lbs handweights and your own body weight. I have a lot of her videos and I feel my arms especially getting more tones as I use them.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I actually dig the on demand workouts as well. I'd steer clear of the 'beginners' ones though unless you are actually clinically obese or have never exercised in your life. They are crazy easy.
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....lots of good suggestions. I have about 80lbs to lose so I want to tone along the way so I have little or no loose skin.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Bump for later
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    two milk jugs filled with sand and water....
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Work at Chili's and heave trays with cast-iron fajita skillets over your head, then balance them in front of you to serve on a daily basis. That's why I had nice arms in college.

:-)