What is your "go to" food?

Options
I desperately need ideas for a quick snack that doesn't pack on the calories.

As a stay at home mom I am in the kitchen 50 times a day. In the past, I've snacked as I go. Now I'm trying to squash that and need ideas for foods that are:

1. QUICK!!
2. Filling
3. Taste good

Is this an impossible set of criteria? I would be willing to make something ahead to have on hand since I really don't want to do the carrot sticks or piece of fruit. I want something that tastes good and is satisfying!!

Anyone??

Replies

• healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    I really like seasme seed crackers with cream cheese, you can also put little slices of fruit on them. The brand I use is called Waso I think. This is a quick and really yummy snack.

-Danielle
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars! They are really good especially the chocolate and oat ones. Almonds, dried cranberries, granola, wheat thins. Hope this helps!

~Leash :heart:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Strawberries
    vanilla Yogurt with walnuts
    Peanut butter on 1 slice of whole wheat bread
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    depends what you are looking for, just snacks? I eat fruits and veggies. Cereal with skim milk. Banana with cool whip. In the summer frozen low fat fudge bars, or popsicles (some only like 30 calories!). Also I like low calorie toast with any topping. Low fat puddings made with skim milk, and cool whip. Really depends what you are looking for, some good low calorie recipes are on hungrygirl.com. good luck!
  • Xersis
    Xersis Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks everyone so far! I'm making a list to put up on the cabinet when I go poking around.

To answer Vanessadawn:

I'm looking mostly for snacks. Many times a day I only have a few seconds to find something and eat it. I take a bit more time for breakfast & lunch but around 2 I am looking around for something to munch on. I know myself well enough to know that I should just have it otherwise I fixate on the idea and go crazy later.

Now it is just a matter of finding out what "it" is.

:flowerforyou:
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I find on my days off feeling the same between 2pm and 3pm........just want to MUNCH!!!
    air popped popcorn........by the handfuls!!
    beef jerky for those "need to chew on something" times
    flavored water.......figure out if you're really hungry or just dehydrated

I'm proud of you for being honest with the "need to have" times!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Smoothies work great for getting in those fruits & filling you up. So many different ways to make them too. You can do yogurt ones or even just whirl some fruit, ice and milk.

String or sliced cheese & crackers,

A serving of dry cereal like cherrios or chex with a few raisins, almonds and a couple m&m's thrown in if ya like.

Low Sodium Beef Jerky & Cheese

Yogurt with granola or your fav cereal on top.

Sliced apple with some homemade fat free cream cheese fruit dip or peanut butter.

Rice cake with peanut butter OR some add a little cream cheese & a couple slices of lunch meat.
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I ziplock bag almonds (I like to roast them a bit), 25 in a "to go bag". Also, dried apricots, dried cherries, etc. Oh, and I love edamame!!!
    Other favorites: Wasa bread with hummus, and home made mini muffins, I look for low cal recipes and make them in the tiny size to fool myself! : happy:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    FAGE yogurt
    String cheese
    Hard-boiled eggs
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    VITATOPS!!! they are 100 calorie healthy treats, not those tiny 100cal bags of everything. Look them up online, I swear by em!
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    VITATOPS!!! they are 100 calorie healthy treats, not those tiny 100cal bags of everything. Look them up online, I swear by em!

I love vitatops! Not only are they tastier than the 100 calorie snack bag things, but they are much healthier! They are high in fiber and other good-for-you things!
  • weasleman42
    weasleman42 Posts: 90
    Options
    Nature Valley - Crunchy Granola Bars/Oats 'n Honey. 180 calories and soooo crunchy and good!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like yogurt with grape nuts. The grape nuts add a nice crunch and make it much more filling.
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    I chomp on celery! Or keep a bowl of grapes in the fridge and grab one or 2 if i need something small and satisfying while moving around
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    The most obvious answer is... don't. Don't grab a snack on the run. Plan your snacks in the morning or the night before so that you know what you're going to have. Obviously though, that's not always possible.
    I keep apples on hand for those occasions. I also like Fit & Light yogurt. I measure out and seal Sun Chips into individual baggies... helps when I'm craving something salty. Reduced Fat String Cheese is also good.