Ganglion cyst and lifting weights

Options
2»

Replies

• elledo
    elledo Posts: 80
    Options
    They were known as bible bumps back in the day because people would hit them with a big heavy bible to burst them. I had one removed from my middle finger it and it has come back. I would have avoided surgery but it was causing a lot of pain affecting joint movement and causing other probs as a result. Its not as bad this time but still painful.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I had ganglion cysts in both wrists about 12-13 years ago. I never had them surgically removed and they popped and healed on their own. Nowadays, I sometimes I get a bit of pain in my wrists while lifting I've never had any major problems or had them come back. Let everything heal fully and just pay attention to any pain you get while lifting and you should be okay in the long run.
  • theberard
    theberard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have one on the back of my wrist, dead center. I play bass guitar and I work in a bakery, which makes it tender and sore.

I have to be careful doing certain yoga positions and push ups are out. I saw that someone suggested no "flat-palm" push ups. Has anyone had success using the raised bars that stand on the floor? Like these:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=push+up+bars&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17447940115313005621&sa=X&ei=y_2qT5egBcjDgAf-n6jaAw&ved=0CNcBEPICMAI

Are there any other upper body exercises ya'll would suggest that take the pressure of your wrists?
  • hannaskye
    Options
    I have one on the top of my left hand that is so hard the orthopedist couldn't tell by the x-ray if it really is a cyst or a bone spur he went as far as taping a BB on it during the second set of x rays. I decided to leave it alone, it took some time for my pointer finger ligament to stay to one side of it, now it doesn't bother me at all. I got another on my right wrist last winter I bumped it on the facet in the bathtub and it immediately showed up. My doctor told me to leave it alone. I did and it went away on its own. Well about 8 weeks ago we started to hit the gym hard and the one on the top of my left hand is twice the size its like a double bump and the one on my wrist is back and angry...its hurting pretty bad. I took the last week off but it hasn't helped. I wear wrist wrap gloves so it seems like I will be okay. One trick I have learned is to use a false grip when lifting like doing dumbbell curls and bench press. You don't wrap your thumb around the weight. You have to be careful and it might not work if you have small hands. But it seems to relieve my pain in my wrist. I was been lifting for about 20 yrs so I imagine that has contributed to both of them.
  • declanpfitzpatrick
    Options
    i have one on my right wrist really hurts when I but pressure on it or bend my wrist backwards when doing press-ups I hate hospitals and the site off needles makes me cringe is there any other way apart from hitting it with a book tried that and ouch and it didn't work anyway it feels horrible,my sister had one but hers just went away over time why is mine still there it isn't huge about the size of a grape but ive had mine for two years now and it pops but not the fluid the actual gangling moves and it feels so strange please help.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    i have one on my right wrist really hurts when I but pressure on it or bend my wrist backwards when doing press-ups I hate hospitals and the site off needles makes me cringe is there any other way apart from hitting it with a book tried that and ouch and it didn't work anyway it feels horrible,my sister had one but hers just went away over time why is mine still there it isn't huge about the size of a grape but ive had mine for two years now and it pops but not the fluid the actual gangling moves and it feels so strange please help.

I had one on the top of my wrist, it went away on its own. I would do push-ups on my knuckles as I couldn't bend my wrist back fat enough to put my palms on the ground.

My husband had surgery to remove what was thought to be a ganglion (it was actually a lipoma!!) - it was day surgery, he was in and out in a few hours. It may be worth looking in to - would you rather face long term pain or short term discomfort with surgery?
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have what looks to be a medium sized one on my wrist that gives me no bother at all, my friend has one on his finger and I know he semi-regularly lifts weights with it. I suppose it is just one of those things you may have to adapt to if it proves to be a persistent issue.