Green tea or water?

Options
Can i count the Diet Lipton Green Tea as water? It has 0 calories.

Replies

• kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can i count the Diet Lipton Green Tea as water? It has 0 calories.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't. Even though it has 0 calories, it still has chemical sweeteners and other who-knows-what in it. Part of the point of water is to help flush your system of toxins, and the tea is instead adding more problems for your body to deal with rather than helping to solve them. Mind you, I'm not saying don't drink it or anything, but I just wouldn't count it as water.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I would count it. Green Tea is excellent for you and everything I've seen recommends it as part of a good diet (weight-loss or otherwise). Also, Green Tea is an antioxident and is used in diets meant to flush the body of toxins.

The debate comes in as to whether you can count anything that is not "pure" water. If that was the case, then all the folks adding those juice tubes to otherwise good water are in trouble! :laugh: Just because you can taste it does not mean it is not just as good as a glass of clear water.

Then there is the case of diuretics (sp?), like coffee. Here the debate widens further. Some say because of the increased urination, it doesn't count. Personally, if the purpose of water is to flush the system, then I'd say coffee works just fine. For myself, I just keep in mind that it's not very hydrating and don't rely on cups of coffee to replace my water.

IMO, Green Tea counts, but drink lots of water anyway. 8 cups per day is a guide, not a rule. Drink when you are thirsty.
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok, i have one for and one against! Any more thoughts on the matter?
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    In response to Razboo's comment, yes, green tea is great for you. But check the label on that Lipton Diet stuff, because from what I recall there is a lot of junk in there that isn't tea!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    In response to Razboo's comment, yes, green tea is great for you. But check the label on that Lipton Diet stuff, because from what I recall there is a lot of junk in there that isn't tea!

I bet that is true. I don't drink diet GT myself. What is the point? It's already 0 calories. :smile:
  • tbirdl2008
    Options
    that would be a no..
    only water can count as water..
    but as far as your calorie count it will count in as 0..
    grean tea is very good bc it has antioxidents in so keep it up....
    i have lost 19 lbs in 30 days with my own diet plan....
    good luck
    tina
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I've heard stuff all over the map regarding water intake. Sorry - not much help! I've heard only count pure water, or 0 calorie and no caffiene drinks count (keeping in mind carbonation is bad for your bones) and also that some of our daily needs of 8 glasses comes from the food we eat, all beverages including milk, coffee and soda, and only drink when you are mildly thirsty (not to wait until very thirsty). So I guess my point is that there will be a different stat for every study and opinion for every person! I personally count herbal teas in my water intake but I brew them myself, add splenda then drink either hot or pour over ice. JMHO!! Good luck! :smile:
  • prdrmewf
    Options
    I heard if it's deceaf green tea then it can count as water.