How long did it take you to stop craving junk food ?

Options
I've heard said that after a certain amount of time, the cravings for burgers and fries (or whatever your favorite may be) dissipate, and people actually start longing for greens and whole foods.

Now, I like healthy food. I eat a whole foods diet about 70% of the time. But I'd be full of ---- if I said I don't also love a big old milkshake or a bag of chips. It's that other 30% that lead me to MFP--it seems I can only eat so many healthy meals before I want something "comforting" and crappy.

The longest I've gone without indulging in junk food is a few months, and I was *definitely* thinking about it the entire time. After three months, I was still unable to re-wire my brain to stop desiring the foods I'd indulged in frequently for so long. I was eating two to three cheat meals a week at the time, so I wasn't 100% restrictive. But I never reached that place of moderation where a few squares of dark chocolate satisfied me, and the rest of the time I craved quinoa--a mythical place where my "cheats" are reasonable, and don't exceed 1,000 calories.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How long did it take your brain and behavioral patterns to truly transform, and how did you manage to not give up before you got there?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you I still want it. Yesterday I read a post about Chick Fil A and that's all I could think about. So I had it. But what I did differently was check out how many calories I had left for the day, check out their website for nutritional values and eat accordingly. Instead of a 12 piece nugget, I ate 8, instead of a large shake, I had a small. I came in under calories for the day and was quite content. Today I'll drink a ton of water, eat my giant salad with protein for lunch and eat my normal snacks and dinner. For me the key is to have it occasionally, make it fit in my calories for the day and move on. If not, that's all I can think about. I'm in the moderation camp for sure.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Hasn't happened yet, and I would cry if it did.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I don't think it ever completely goes away, but I have noticed it's really diminished. I've been at this almost a year. It's been diminished for a while, so I'll guess it took around 6 months or so.

For me though, I don't deny myself anything specifically. If I can fit it in my daily goals, great. If not, I wait for a cheat day and have it then LOL. Keeps me sane.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly past craving it, but having it is less satisfying. I can draw a connection between poor performance working out and having eaten some junk.

I lived out of my normal environment for a year and got adjusted to healthier food. I really didn't crave it because it was futile. Once I got back to my normal environment junk food tasted horrible. But, I persisted, and finally I could eat junk food again =)
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    WHAT??????

N E V E R :D
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I believe in the whole "your body stops cravinf junk food" idea. It seems to me that it is more along the lines of once you start making a choice to eat healthier, you become accustomed to eating those healthy foods INSTEAD of junk foods. It's just like any other habit that you break. It's all about will power and choices that you make. I am with you that I will always want or crave junk food. It tastes good!! But now that I have changed my eating habits, it has become a treat for me to eat junk instead of something I consume on a daily basis (which I was!). An example for me would have been before I would always say I could never live without cheese!! I ate cheese everyday (in fairly large quantity) and that wasn't good. Now I eat cheese maybe once or twice a week in normal quantities because that is a concious choice I am making.

One thing I will add is that when I do indulge in "junk food" it tastes soooo much better than it ever did before simply because I am not used to eating it all the time all the time all the time now. It's easy to fall back into "bad habits" but only if it is something you allow yourself to do. I have had the most success with attampting weight loss this time simply because I have changed my eating habits. I don't look at it as being a diet. It is a lifelong change.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    For the most part, you won't stop craving certain things. However, there is no reason you should make your food choices too restrictive. If you are able to eat a cheeseburger and fries and stay with in your calorie/carbs/proteins/fat limits, then you should eat it.

Too restrictive, for most people, becomes cumbersome and they eventually stop trying to lose weight.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I would never give up junk food or cheeseburgers, so I don't know anything about how long it might take to stop craving them.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    In a week to 2 weeks of eating healthy, my cravings are greatly diminished. They never go away because TOM always bring them back!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It stops as soon as I get a burger, a small fry and a soda. I still indulge in all my favorites, I just don't order it in the old quantities. Pretty simple.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Still want it. :(

I don't know if the craving will ever go away. It makes me happy.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It never goes away and when I think I have it kicked I have a small taste and want even more. If I could get my hands on one of those bunny's that lay the cadburry eggs i'd be in heaven. Damn bunny! CMON Willy Wonka
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It stops as soon as I get a burger, a small fry and a soda. I still indulge in all my favorites, I just don't order it in the old quantities. Pretty simple.

Hmmm, you seem to be indicating that food you enjoy can be fit into your diet. Details, please.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A burger and fries does not sound good at all to me anymore. I really can't believe I used to eat that so much. I do still crave chocolate and cake and all though. I still have it here and there. no biggie.
  • mommymegz
    mommymegz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you will ever quit craving junk food but the other night I was craving a Big Mac Meal and I only took a couple bites and it was DISGUSTING!!! Thank God for that!!! :D
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Eight months and 55 pounds after I started, I *still* love junk food! It's true that your body DOES start craving healthy food, too, which is good - healthy foods that are high in protein and fiber fill you up so you're less *hungry* for junk food, but how many of us really grab a candy bar because we're hungry? If you presented me with a tray of celery and a tray of chocolate, I'd still prefer the chocolate, and would wager that anyone who said differently is a liar. It's never as simple as not wanting the "junk" - it's about learning how to eat a balanced diet so we're eating less junk and plenty of good stuff, too.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know if I ever stop craving it. :P I just allow myself to eat a little junk here and there.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever stop craving junk food, but I would say it took me about a month of slowly replacing one junky thing a day with a healthy thing before I was at least able to resist most cravings.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I crave it all the time but I finally realize how it affects my performance at the gym. So when I do have junk food I will now eat much smaller portions, just enough to satisfy the craving.
  • angie_sample
    Options
    the strong craving for me stopped about a month and a half after i started. I still eat junk food occasionally but my cravings feel different. Now sometimes chips or a burger sound good, unlike before where i felt like i just had to have whatever i was craving.