a question for those of you who have lost alot of weight

Options
I have lost 65lbs total so far and I am always cold or I dont really feel the heat as much as everyone else complains about. I was wondering if this also happened to you and if it goes away?

Replies

• MissesOfficer
    MissesOfficer Posts: 368
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me too much, but it does my mom :) Less fat = less insulation! hehe
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I find that I feel the cold more now. My husband has lost 54 lbs and he feels it too. We figure d it was because we had less insulation
  • JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is what the doctor tells me but as I feel cold I get really hungry. I am just afraid I will go back to eating alot because of the hunger.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I never used to get cold. DH and I used to fight over the thermostat constantly - I was always trying to make it cooler and he wanted it warmer. No more fighting :ohwell: I can get chilled fairly easily now.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    At 200+lbs, I was always hot. Never needed a jacket.

At 160+lbs, I am always cold. Freezing. Had a jacket, blanket and heater at my office although everyone else was "comfortable". i have to wear a light fleece in the summer in my mother's home. I take a light jacket everywhere.

Like they said above, less insulation.
    I don't think it goes away.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It should go away, as your body adjusts to the new size. If it doesn't, have some tests run, can't remember the gland that controls your body temp at the moment, but have it checked.

I have discovered even with a small weight loss if I wasn't eating right I would get cold easily. But when I upped my carbs and protein in the morning, I would no longer get freezing cold in the afternoon. I still have a lot of "insulation" so it's not that! What was happening with me is that my body was not getting enough nutrients and that was the side effect. FIxed the food, fixed the problem.

I was eating below 1200 a day - accidentally, though - because I was using the calories burned numbers from the gym - and they were half of what they should have been. Once I got an HRM and had a more accurate calorie account, I was eating above 1200 net calories and that solved the problem.
  • DebbieDuffy31
    Options
    I can't wait till that happens. Though I am always cold to begin with uh oh!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I read it also has something to do with slowing metabolism. I was cold when I was at a deficit. But when I started bringing my cals up and now that I am on maintenance cals I am not freezing like I was. It could be coincidence but.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I actually find that I get hot easier than I used to especially when I work out in the morning. I think it has to do with my metabolism being higher when I do.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with insolation because when I was thin I was hot constantly. Once I started dieting I started getting cold.