Ground Beef Ideas?

Options
Marillian
Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
Tired of burgers, meat loaf and tacos. Any ideas what to do with ground beef (we only use 100% grass fed, organic and humanely raised meat). Must not include peppers (allergic).

Recipes welcome!

Thanks!

Replies

• karlos988
    karlos988 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My nephew swears this is the best thing he has ever eaten (he is 5) so I figure that is a pretty good testament! I got it from a WW recipe board. I subbed gluten free brown rice pasta and brown rice flour.

Beef, Cheese, and Noodle Bake

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

1 (8-ounce) package small elbow macaroni
    Cooking spray
    1 cup prechopped onion
    1 cup preshredded carrot
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1 pound lean ground sirloin
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup fat-free milk
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) 2% reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese (such as Cracker Barrel), divided

Preheat oven to 350°.

Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Lightly coat pasta with cooking spray.

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add ground beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates.

Add pasta to beef mixture in pan, stirring to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Place milk, flour, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; stir with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add 1 cup cheese, stirring until smooth. Pour cheese mixture over pasta mixture; stir. Top evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

CALORIES 283 (24% from fat); FAT 7.7g (sat 4.2g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.7g); IRON 3.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 46mg; CALCIUM 209mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.1g; SODIUM 622mg; PROTEIN 22.3g; FIBER 2.1g
  • rhondy1
    rhondy1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Chili, with or without beans

A dish my mom always called slumgullion that is similar to what many call chili-mac: brown onions, mushrooms and ground beef in a skillet. Add a can of diced (or whole crushed) tomatoes, a small (8oz) can of tomato sauce, a can of corn (or cup of frozen). Add a teaspoon of oregano and a teaspoon of cumin. Add a cup of macaroni (elbows, shells, etc.). Put the lid on the skillet and cook on medium-low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Lots of variations for meatballs: with spaghetti, in Mexican meatball soup, Swedish style, on a hoagie sandwich, with BBQ or teriyaki sauce.

Use it as a topping on homemade pizza.

Make into patties and bake with a mushroom gravy for a sort of Salisbury steak.

Ground beef stroganoff: Brown onions, mushrooms, and ground beef in a skillet. Add worchestershire sauce, paprika, and a tablespoon of flour. Cook for a few minutes to brown the flour a bit. Add some water (usually 1/2 to 1 cup) to make a relatively thick gravy. Add 1/2 cup of sour cream (or substitute Greek yogurt), stir, and turn off the heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with egg noodles.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    make a mince sauce type thing. and make a stuffed pepper :)
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Taco soup;
    Add
    browned ground beef with taco seasoning
    1 large can of beef broth
    1 small can of pinto beans
    1 small can of black beans
    1 small can of kidney beans
    1 small can of corn
    Throw it all in a pot and simmer for 45 min
    Serve with a small garnishment of shredded cheese and 9 tortilla chips.
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it was phenomenal: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/shepherds-pie-vi/ (added 1/4 cup of Worcestershire to the meat when cooking).
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I second the stuffed peppers. There are tons of good recipes. This is a good one http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Spicy-Stuffed-Peppers. I cut back on salted items and add black beans instead of rice.

Another good one this time for "unstuffed" cabbage -- http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Unstuffed-Cabbage

Taste of Home is great site and has lots of already written healthy recipes or you can just sub out to make most healthy.

BTW - This one is not over healthy but seriously the most phenomenal soup I have ever had -- http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Ravioli-Soup
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti!!! :heart:

NOTE: The OP said NO PEPPERS due to allergy....read, people!!!
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    stubbed cabbage rolls!
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    spaghetti sauce (beef, diced tomatos, herbs, tomato paste etc)
    meatballs (balls of ground beef with whatever herbs etc to flavour it up, an egg and maybe breadcrumbs to hold them together)
    savory rice (rice, veges, soy sauce and beef fried up together)
    koftas (like sausages on a stick - done with ground beef and spices and shaped around a skewer and cooked)

Google ground beef and beef mince recipes, you should find heaps.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    So stuff an eggplant or acorn squash. Use your imagination.

People like above are a reason so many don't post to help others. There is no reason to be a snot about it.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Lazy style abondigas:

Fry a pound or so of hamburger. Cut up 5 medium potatoes into bite size pieces (with or without skin, your choice) and some cilantro (to taste. I love cilantro so I usually chop up at least half a bunch, if not more). I usually add 1 can of green beans, 1/2 a yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic chopped finely and 1 cup of white rice.

Fill up a pot about 3/4 the way, add everything except the green beans and rice.

Bring pot to a boil then add the rice. Reduce heat to medium after the rice is added.

When the rice is almost done, add the green beans.

Season to taste.
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options

People like above are a reason so many don't post to help others. There is no reason to be a snot about it.

well really suggesting stuffing a pepper to someone who has stated they are allergic.... no need to be so DUMB about it either!
  • KrisyKat
    Options

Not being snotty...just stating the obvious (which is offering ground beef recipes to the OP.)

If you have a problem with my observation, message me directly instead of being "a snot about it"...
  • amgriffin69
    Options
    porcupine meatballs!

ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (instant)
    1/2 can tomato soup
    mix all together...season for taste

roll in balls and brown

after brown simmer with rest of can of tomato soup with some water added

so fast and easy!
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Kraft dinner (Mac and Cheese) cook ground beef meat in frying pan and then add to mac and cheese

same thing add stewed tomatoes to ground meat add to mac and cheese
  • KrisyKat
    Options

well really suggesting stuffing a pepper to someone who has stated they are allergic.... no need to be so DUMB about it either!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Planted2268
    Planted2268 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Taco soup;
    Add
    browned ground beef with taco seasoning
    1 large can of beef broth
    1 small can of pinto beans
    1 small can of black beans
    1 small can of kidney beans
    1 small can of corn
    Throw it all in a pot and simmer for 45 min
    Serve with a small garnishment of shredded cheese and 9 tortilla chips.

I will have to try this one.
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    I make these meals a lot - http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/wholedeal/WholeFoods_skilletdinners.pdf

I printed it for my recipes binder since they are so good and easy. It doesn't include the calorie info but they are so simple it is pretty easy to figure them out.